• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Asking for a friend. It's been a while since I had any dealings with it. 2 questions:

1) Is a Maryland hunters safety course taken over 3 years ago valid for the training requirement.?
    2) How long are the fingerprints good for until you apply for the HQL?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Fingerprints are valid for 30 days for wear and carry permits, is the 72 hours printed anywhere for HQL in the regulation? My understanding is they're just so inundated with print reports they do not want to dig through older ones to find a particular person's on a regular basis.

I successfully used the same HQL-destined prints for a >72hr HQL (their server wouldn't let me make an account on a holiday weekend due to sharing a name/birthday, I had to wait until the next work day for assistance) and W&C application at 29 days.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Yeah, it’s confusing. From the MSP website:

“ Important note for electronic fingerprint participants: after having your fingerprints submitted electronically you must forward the electronic fingerprint processing center receipt and completed application without delay. If you fail to submit the receipt and application in 72 hours, the application may be returned as live electronic fingerprint submission results are not maintained for extended periods.”

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Did I mention it was confusing? The three year limit applies to qualified handgun instruction only. In place of that, you can have applied for the Hunter Safety course certificate, to which the three year limit does not apply.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Why then is there a 3 year mention on the MSP website?

That could be for a training course held by an instructor (at a gun shop, private lessons, etc.), not a DNR course. Two separate things. Either way, don't trust the MSP site for anything.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That could be for a training course held by an instructor (at a gun shop, private lessons, etc.), not a DNR course. Two separate things. Either way, don't trust the MSP site for anything.

Correct. I suspect the reasoning is that with the DNR course, you are maintaining your knowledge by hunting and renewing a hunting license.

They put a time limit on the HQL instruction ... because they could.

All in all, it jibes with the lack of logic in MD gun law. If it can be byzantine, confusing, counterintuitive, its the MD gun law way.

As I always say, there is no intersection between logic and gun law in MD

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Correct. I suspect the reasoning is that with the DNR course, you are maintaining your knowledge by hunting and renewing a hunting license.

They put a time limit on the HQL instruction ... because they could.

All in all, it jibes with the lack of logic in MD gun law. If it can be byzantine, confusing, counterintuitive, its the MD gun law way.

As I always say, there is no intersection between logic and gun law in MD

DNR controls the hunter safety course in the state, and per their agreement with IHEA-USA, it does not expire...EVER. Further, so long as the training complies with IHEA-USA standards, a hunter safety course in one state, is recognized and accepted int he other 49.

So, MSP has no control over where it was issued, or how long ago it was issued. State statute on the issue:

5-117.1(E)(2) of the Public Safety Artcle:

(2)HAS COMPLETED A COURSE OF INSTRUCTION INCOMPETENCY AND SAFETY IN THE HANDLING OF FIREARMS PRESCRIBED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES UNDER §10–301.1OF THE NATURAL RESOURCES ARTICLE;

So they are relying on the DNR standards, not MSP standards. So when MSP misquotes the state statute, MSP can suck it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Good news: Well I got my live scan prints done today, and I DID remember to ask :)

Bad news: They had no idea :sad20:

Thanks for asking.

I seem to remember that when the HQL came out, there is a 30 days from LiveScan to application.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    When I got my live scan for HQL, the shop told me I should get the application in within 72 hrs. After paying ~$50 for prints, why risk them expiring?

Bsubulldog11

Jun 25, 2020
    Waldorf, MD
    EMAIL FROM MSP

They told me good for 12 months

Attachments

• IMG_7714.jpg
      IMG_7714.jpg
      87.2 KB · Views: 160

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics