• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Hey guys I am reaching out to several attorneys to ensure if anything were to ever happen that I have an attorney I have spoken to instead of flipping through the phone book.

I reached out to Jeremy from our IP section. Does anyone have any attorneys they have in their contact list for Crim Def for firearms?

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    In Prince Frederick (Calvert County) You would want to use Cumberland/Erly. They are top notch and true 2A supporters. I have used them in the past (divorce) and they are expensive but they tend to win. I'm not sure how far their range is.

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    Does Rusty Shackleford do criminal defense? He seems to be a go to guy for Trust/Estate issues, but usually those are two separate fields of focus.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Family member needed some help

Many friends who are police officers and people in the states attorneys office recommended this person :

http://www.bhelfandlaw.com/ourfirm/

Other people I know have have used his firms services, he is very well respected and I believe offers a decent discount to officers in need of his services.

edit too funny got beat out by a few minutes.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Thanks, keep them coming if you know of any. I am not worried about price I want the best. Since getting my CCW I have double and triple checked coverage and limits on both business and personal insurance lines to ensure if anything were to happen I do not have to worry about the admin side of things. Hence why I am looking for an attorney now.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I will be watching this thread. I have feeling that come Post-10/1 some of us could find ourselves in hot water due to "over interpretation" of SB281

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Barry Helfand comes to mind .

http://www.bhelfandlaw.com/

Barry Helfand is awesome. I've referred some stuff to him and I have watched him in Court. Extremely pricey, but he is the guy you want if you are in deep crap in Montgomery County. He has been practicing in Montgomery County forever.

I do minor criminal work, and have done a good amount of DNR stuff. However, if you kill somebody with a gun, call Helfand. Another really good criminal attorney in Montgomery County is Armstrong. I seriously doubt Helfand or Armstrong know much about guns, but when it comes to the law they are top notch. A really good attorney in the Baltimore City area is Byron Warnken. He was my crim law professor and he does a lot of appeals work. Again, he probably does not know much about guns, but he is very good with criminal law.

Reminds me of a DNR charge I had to fight back in 1997. The attorney I was clerking for insisted that he would represent me. Thing is, he was anti gun and had no clue how a gun even worked. I was charged with having a loaded gun in a vehicle. Short story is I was dove hunting. I unloaded the o/u I was using so I could move the car. I laid the gun across the front seat with the two shells on the front seat. I moved the car, got out, walked around the car while loading the gun, and then fired at a bird passing overhead. The game wardens got pissed when they came on the field at the end of the day because nobody would tell them who shot the mockingbird. They said they would charge all of us, and then I said they would still need to prove who did it. They could not even find the mockingbird they were talking about. Well, that is when they decided to charge me with having a loaded gun in the vehicle. While being questioned by the Assistant State's Attorney, the DNR agent said she knew I had not loaded the gun after I got out of the car because she did not hear a shell being racked. Pretty tough to hear a shell being racked when a person is using an o/u. Anyway, trying to explain this to my attorney/boss while everything was going on was pretty much impossible. I had a pic of me with the gun there and all he needed to do was go up there, show her the pic, and ask her if she would have heard anything if I was using that type of gun. Yeah, that did not happen. Had to try to explain the damn thing to him during the prosecution's case just so he could ask me about it while I was on the stand. I would have been better off representing myself. In the end though, I was found not guilty.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    "Pro 2A" is overly broad terminology. Reglatory issues are totally different from use of force issues. For that matter mounting a proactive Justified defense by an actual Innocent person is different from the usual trying to give best possable defense to guilty party.

The largest pool of experence in justified use of force cases is among those defending LEOs charged with excessive force. Consult your local FOP as to whom they have/ recently had on retainer.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Thread revival. My wife's coworker's brother has gotten himself in some trouble in Balt. county involving a firearm. He has retained Joe Pappafotis who I assume is the son of above mentioned Mike Pappafotis. Anyone have an input or info?

Thanks

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    If you’re on the Eastern Shore (although I do travel as far south as Calvert and regularly into Anne Arundel) I would be happy to assist you or anyone else finding a need. I have a special place in my heart for 2A issues, and have published federal case law on the topic (interpretation of FOPA). My contact information is on my website: www.annapolisbarrister.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom