What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    This evening I loaded up a test ladder of 30 carbine, from 14.0 to 15.0 with H110.
    After I see how performance works, I will continue with a production run.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Latest bench time was spent loading 147g RN .357 bullets with 3.4g Titegroup into 9mm cases. Most likely to be used in the AR9. 100 rounds on the Lee Turret press.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    LT-30 Cold Weather Update

I got a shipment of LT-30 powder yesterday. I have never used in my 45/70 and making up some test loads. Will be heading out this afternoon for some target shooting. I am interested to see how cold weather affects the rounds. When I was deer hunting in subzero temperatures, I missed my deer at about 150 yards shot way low. I know where my current Iron sites are set for warmer weather at the 3rd notch for 100 yards. It will be interesting to see the difference.

350 grain HCFN
    37 grains of LT-30

Here is my follow up from Saturday's test rounds in cold weather. The first 5 rounds in group 1 were low. My sites were set in September when it was in the 70s. Yesterday it was 22 degrees.

I raised my sites up 1 notch and raised the buck horn up about 1/64 of an inch. Henrys also have an adjustment on the buck horn for fine tuning. It raised by shots by 3 inches.

The 5 shots in group 2 were in the money along the 5 shots in group 3.

I had the rifle bench rested on some leather sandbags giving me a real steady and consistent shot.

The LT-30 powder burns pretty clean compared to H4895, IMR4198 and IMR4895 of which I typically use. The LT-30 grains are a lot finer then the pellet grains of the others. So, I am a fan so far of LT-30.

I recently ordered a custom cast mold for 250 grain pellets at .458 diameter. Loading them up to 57 grains of LT-30 in a 250-grain pellet w/gas check they should be flying out at over 2000 fps.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Definitely learned to 1) not pull bullets late at night while I’m half asleep. 2) triple check what powder I’m pouring back into the jug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you, I have to avoid starting something new, or doing something I don't already do often. Late night, I don't have patience or make as wise decisions with projects.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I'm with you, I have to avoid starting something new, or doing something I don't already do often. Late night, I don't have patience or make as wise decisions with projects.

I usually just pull bullets and throw the powder away as they’re from dud boxes but these were my own reloads so that’s why it threw me for a loop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Tumbled my 308 and 7.62x51 brass after sizing, swaging the primer pockets and trimming. I've gotta go back and clean the pockets now as I've got some with walnut media and nu shine stuck in there. I guess tumbling at ~38F was not the way to go...or I need to cut the nu shine with some mineral spirits at temps that low.

JBoshoven

May 30, 2021
    Severn, MD
    Here is my follow up from Saturday's test rounds in cold weather. The first 5 rounds in group 1 were low. My sites were set in September when it was in the 70s. Yesterday it was 22 degrees.

I raised my sites up 1 notch and raised the buck horn up about 1/64 of an inch. Henrys also have an adjustment on the buck horn for fine tuning. It raised by shots by 3 inches.

The 5 shots in group 2 were in the money along the 5 shots in group 3.

I had the rifle bench rested on some leather sandbags giving me a real steady and consistent shot.

The LT-30 powder burns pretty clean compared to H4895, IMR4198 and IMR4895 of which I typically use. The LT-30 grains are a lot finer then the pellet grains of the others. So, I am a fan so far of LT-30.

I recently ordered a custom cast mold for 250 grain pellets at .458 diameter. Loading them up to 57 grains of LT-30 in a 250-grain pellet w/gas check they should be flying out at over 2000 fps.

Assuming a muzzle velocity in warm weather of 1900 to 2000 fps and s ballistic coefficient of about 0.211 a 3" drop is around 350 fps lower velocity. ( I used JBM Ballistics to make the estimate). That seams like a lot, but I don't have any experience with a 45/70 or the powder you used.

Jack

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    d6ed980351f20acd817c70ae00bb2ca1.jpg

08adf01aeb1e190559b2bbd2ed631a6b.jpg

ea56b7a459eced3ded3559efd6d6fc69.jpg

Melted down all my WW, and casted some pure lead slugs to slug my barrels.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Assuming a muzzle velocity in warm weather of 1900 to 2000 fps and s ballistic coefficient of about 0.211 a 3" drop is around 350 fps lower velocity. ( I used JBM Ballistics to make the estimate). That seams like a lot, but I don't have any experience with a 45/70 or the powder you used.

Jack

Thanks for the incite, based on shooting a 350 grain HCFN load in my Henry 45/70 the drop is about 2 inches at 100 yards. Some of the other powders I have used the bullet drop was anywhere between 2-4 inches. The LT-30 has about the same burn rate of 4198 but is much cleaner.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Got my Evo 9mm conversion in the mail the other day. Not sure I'm going to use it, BUT it does give me a fallback if my 650 goes out of commission. It was cheap, so I figured it wasn't a bad play for insurance. Maybe it'll save me money if I buy another Evo/Apex for 9mm.

gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Bought my first non-military 30-06 rifle last week at Shyda's. So now I'm loading my first 30-06 hunting type ammo. Loaded up 10 rounds of Hornady SST 150gr over 49.3 grains of VV N-140 and a CCI BR2 primer. Tomorrow, another 10 of the same load except using the Hornady #3033 150gr BTSP bullet. Now to wait for at least 50 degree weather to try them out. Just wanted a usable rifle, Savage Axis II with a 3-9x scope. 10% off, so $404 out the door. I also have Federal GMM 168's to check it out with (in 50 degree weather).

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've been processing a bunch of range pickup 45 ACP my Brother-in-law picked up for me. The issue I had was that a good bit of them were small primer pocket rather than large. Normally I'd just toss the occasional SPP 45 ACP I'd come across, but this was far too many pieces of brass to toss away.

Initially I decapped everything with my Lee APP press - that made it go pretty quickly. Then I tumbled everything to clean it up, and as it came out of the tumbler, I'd sort it, and I did that using a small primer pocket go/no-go gauge I have for swaging crimped miliary primer pockets. Most of the time I can eyeball everything and see it just fine, but if I had any doubt, I'd check it against the primer pocket gauge, so that I got what I hope to be a 100% error free sort.

I didn't count the amount of brass that was SPP, but I estimate it's several hundred pieces.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    The issue I had was that a good bit of them were small primer pocket rather than large. Normally I'd just toss the occasional SPP 45 ACP I'd come across, but this was far too many pieces of brass to toss away.

I didn't count the amount of brass that was SPP, but I estimate it's several hundred pieces.

Don't ya just love it???

Clean, deprime, sort, the SPP pile was normally the shoot n loose pile or "I don't care pile". still is, but like you the "pile" is growing

-Rock

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Don't ya just love it???

Clean, deprime, sort, the SPP pile was normally the shoot n loose pile or "I don't care pile". still is, but like you the "pile" is growing

-Rock
    That's kinda how I'm going to treat it - I won't mind so much if I lose it at the range.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Prepped a bunch more 223 cases on my Evo. Need to give them another wash to clear off any leftover brass shavings, and then they'll go in the "ready to load" pile.

Man, I need an excuse to shoot more 223...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Prepped a bunch more 223 cases on my Evo. Need to give them another wash to clear off any leftover brass shavings, and then they'll go in the "ready to load" pile.

Man, I need an excuse to shoot more 223...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom