• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBagger

Many year lurker.
    Sep 5, 2018
    Dundalk
    Went here yesterday, had a good time until one of the employees came down and gave me hell for anything he could. He was trying to find something to kick me out for, checked my passes told me to move my car and promptly called DNR police on me for having a suppressor. I did nothing wrong even though he thought I did. DNR came to investigate and tried to tell me suppressors were illegal. I had to educate him about the law and that elk neck has no rules against it. All was fine after that but I'm really pissed off that this uneducated and spiteful employee works there and has no knowledge of the law or even rules in his own job place. Does anyone know how I can go about making a formal complaint? He didn't give his name but I'm sure HR should be able to see who it was due to timecards. This guy doesn't deserve to be working there or anywhere for that matter...

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Went here yesterday, had a good time until one of the employees came down and gave me hell for anything he could. He was trying to find something to kick me out for, checked my passes told me to move my car and promptly called DNR police on me for having a suppressor. I did nothing wrong even though he thought I did. DNR came to investigate and tried to tell me suppressors were illegal. I had to educate him about the law and that elk neck has no rules against it. All was fine after that but I'm really pissed off that this uneducated and spiteful employee works there and has no knowledge of the law or even rules in his own job place. Does anyone know how I can go about making a formal complaint? He didn't give his name but I'm sure HR should be able to see who it was due to timecards. This guy doesn't deserve to be working there or anywhere for that matter...

Was it an RSO? They're all volunteers.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Did he stink like whiskey?

My one and done Elk Neck trip was in the Summer of 1998 and the person "working" there/wearing an orange t-shirt must have been wearing some Jim Beam deodorant

JBagger

Many year lurker.
    Sep 5, 2018
    Dundalk
    I wouldn't doubt it, the dnr officer was very nice and understanding but the elk neck employee was completely out of line to act like a total d-bag especially if he doesn't understand the rules/laws. All the RSO's I've met there were nice and professional and I've never had a problem there before even with the can. Just very off putting to be treated like a felon when doing nothing illegal.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Why did he want you to move your vehicle? What a pain in the ass, pack up all your guns, drag them to the parking lot, move your car and drag them back!

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I was at Elk Neck last summer during the week shooting my cz 455 22lr. There were a couple of guys at the end lane shooting AR's. Some guy on the other side of me walks over to me and say's"I don't understand why these guys feel like they need to have assault rifles". I just shrugged my shoulders and he walked back to his lane. Then I pulled out my AR from my other case and gave him a thumbs up. He packed up and left. Haven't seen him there since.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Tip#(1).. There are volunteer RSO's there on weekends!!
    Tip#(2).. Don't go on weekends!!

If you feel you've been harassed, write a letter to the MdDNR. A name would be helpful. Personally,
    I'd let it go. However, there is a Elk Neck DNR Ranger on this forum whom you could contact with pertinent info. if
    so inclined.

You could PM ENSF.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

This. Go when they open on weekdays. At least that has been my best experience. My last time at Elk Neck was when I dealt with an RSO that was a real asshat. On top of that, someone had decided to put a few holes through the bathroom door. Never been back and probably won’t.

Thank the lord I can shoot off of my porch now.

sasd18

Oct 29, 2017

Tip #(3)... skip the place in general. Last time I went there were 2 guys fighting. This was maybe 3 years ago. I refuse to go there

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    I was that employee that came to the ranges over the weekend and interacted with you. As always with this site, information is always not relayed.

When I arrived, there were two persons on the pistol range down range changing a target. Both smoking and entered the firing line pavilion smoking. I pointed out the fact that state law, not our rules prohibit that as politely as I could.

As always, we check for permits which one of you left in your car that was parked in the posted reserved handicap parking spot. You were then asked if you had a handicap tag or sticker and were asked to move the car after answering that you did not. I seem to recall the answer given is that you were the only ones there.

We are required by our agency policies to notify NRP if we see a suppressor on the ranges. Nothing was said to you by me about that so any confusion over the legal possession is not our doing.

If you feel that I was rude to you in any way please file a complaint.

My name is Shawn Day.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I was that employee that came to the ranges over the weekend and interacted with you. As always with this site, information is always not relayed.

When I arrived, there were two persons on the pistol range down range changing a target. Both smoking and entered the firing line pavilion smoking. I pointed out the fact that state law, not our rules prohibit that as politely as I could.

As always, we check for permits which one of you left in your car that was parked in the posted reserved handicap parking spot. You were then asked if you had a handicap tag or sticker and were asked to move the car after answering that you did not. I seem to recall the answer given is that you were the only ones there.

We are required by our agency policies to notify NRP if we see a suppressor on the ranges. Nothing was said to you by me about that so any confusion over the legal possession is not our doing.

If you feel that I was rude to you in any way please file a complaint.

My name is Shawn Day.
    :thumbsup:

Paul Harvey approves of this post.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    We are required by our agency policies to notify NRP if we see a suppressor on the ranges.

This is interesting. I think if I were a nearby neighbor I would welcome the use of a suppressor and not want the users of such hassled by the DNR.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm not trying to give Shawn grief for doing his job, just wondering what else they are "required to report".

Just about can't do shit anymore without someone having some kind of problem with it. Even more exciting is when the average Joe agrees and furthers the oppressive behaviors of our government by agreeing and dropping dime on every single little thing.

I'm never surprised by amount of people who mess with law enforcement for pure sport and educational purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom