Madatory items if you live in Garrett County.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    So, the ice storm thread had me wondering what tid bits of knowledge my fellow mountain dwellers have or items they use to make their winters in this winter wonderland a bit easier? What have you guys found that work and doesn't work ?
    I have a very long road to my house that I have to maintain. ( 2.5 miles up the mountain) Some things I have found that are quite handy and not so handy:

1 . A pickup truck with a snowplow isn't the best snow removal weapon. they get stuck easily and are a PITA when they do get stuck. ( the warm cab is nice though)
    also If your driveway is through the woods for any length, there is only so much snow you can push before there is no other place to put it.
    To combat these issues I use a 52 HP Kubota 4wd Tractor with a 6.5 snowplow on the front and a 6ft blower on the back. The plow allows me to pile up snow very high and the blower obviously allows me to blow the snow 40-50 ft into the woods. It isn't impossible to get stuck but using the plow to push yourself backwards really helps

2. If you live up a long drive/road like we do, AWD vehicles will keep the wife happy and off your rear end about the road.

3. a Generator is pretty much issued equipment when living off the beaten path. Get a good one ( not Chinese junk) and wire it correctly to keep the Power company guys happy.

4. a woodstove is also standard equipment. If the generator cant handle the heat load or it goes down, at least you wont freeze to death.

5. Not all insulated Leather gloves are the same. it took me 12 years but finally found some that can stand the abuse I put them through. Kinco insulated leather work gloves. ( you can buy them at Hardesty's Hardware in Grantstville) best $20 you'll ever spend.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I would have at least a min of 500 to 1000gal of propane for the genny or like I have seen on Youtube a guy had a 500gal tank buried underground to run a backup genny in case the power went down for what ever reason. A 500gal tank would last at least a week depending on load factor and how long you kept it running per day.. If you have sprayfome insulation you would be really warm with just the wood stove for heat for your home.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    5 gallon buckets, shovel, and either a digging bar or axe.
    We were without power for almost 2 weeks during a big ice storm in the 90’s. We had a wood stove and plenty of firewood. We didn’t have power so our well did not work. One of my jobs was to go out and break up ice and fill the buckets with it. We brought the buckets in so they could melt. We used the water to flush toilets and have water for cleaning up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom