• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arts

Nov 14, 2014
    I am way out of touch with the new technologies concerning air guns. Looking to get started with the higher end or the maybe middle end. 300 dollar starting budget. What would be a good starter setup?

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I am way out of touch with the new technologies concerning air guns. Looking to get started with the higher end or the maybe middle end. 300 dollar starting budget. What would be a good starter setup?

I guessing you are referencing PCP's as the "new technologies"? Even though they have been around since at least the 1800 or so.

Hate to say it but you can't get any starter "set up" for under $300. Yes you can get a regulated low end gun for $300 but then you add scope, rings, pump or tank to fill and you are well over $300. To get started in a "higher end" PCP set up you are looking at about $2K plus.

That being said a little more info about what you want to do with the gun might help get better answers. Shooting paper targets at 10m in your basement would be a totally different gun then small game hunting.

I bought one a few years ago. The rifle itself was $684 then $200 for the pump add an additional 300 or so for the scope rings and mount and then $50 worth of various 22 caliber pellets to find out which ones were accurate. I can tell you this much don't buy anything that shoots Super Sonic. At supersonic speeds none of the pellets are worth a crap. I bought a 22 caliber Hatsan and I shoot the heaviest pellets they make. I get about 900 feet per second and I can put a group of five rounds into a quarter sized Target at 50 yards. I can probably do pretty good at a hundred although I've never shot it that far. How did the price of a decent PCP setup is going to cost you every bit as much as a firearm if not more.

arts

Nov 14, 2014
    Thank you. I just don't have a clue. So are you saying about 1200 to get a decent setup?

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Thank you. I just don't have a clue. So are you saying about 1200 to get a decent setup?

Not sure what you want the gun for, but if I were looking for a small game hunter to get started in PCP's I would get a Benjamin Fortitude along with a hand pump and a Discovery Scope.

Fortitude is $309 at Crosman. Using AGNATION coupon code it knocks off 25% so price is $232.49. Purchase it o Friday and the shipping should be free.
    They only have the .177's in stock right now

Chinese hand pump from Amazon for approx $60

Discovery Scope from Wes at Airgunarcheryfun in Canada. He's got some decent side focus scopes for under $100. I've bought a couple things from him without issue and most of the guys on Airgun Forums get their Discovery Scopes from him.
    Here's an example of a 4-16 for $75
    https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/discove...cal-turrets-with-lock-function-optical-sight/

Add some pellets and you will have a decent starter outfit for under $500

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Used scuba tanks can be found at good prices from dive shops. We went that route to charge my daughters FWB and subsequently Walther competition gun. Cheap to fill and allowed her to spend time shooting/training not running a pump ...

bgoodsoil

Aug 24, 2020
    I'm moving on to PCPs and looking to sell my Benjamin Trail Nitro Elite in .22. It's quiet and puts out enough energy to take most small game.

https://www.crosman.com/trailtm-np-elite-stealth-wood-22

It has a 'spring air rifle rated' UTG scope:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNKUJ5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it earlier this year. It's got me hooked on air guns so I invested in a compressor. I've got a little over 2000 rounds through it. Nothing wrong with it. I'd let it go with the scope for $250.

Fair warning, it might be a gateway drug that has you dropping more than you spent on the gun on a compressor :D

Bugthor

Oct 27, 2018
    Aberdeen Area
    You can get started in PCP with a good pump ($120) and a Umarex Gauntlet ($229).
    All new at right at $400.
    Just a thought.
    Once you go PCP you won't look back.

arts

Nov 14, 2014
    Someone else suggested the Benjamin Fortitude. Thay are about 5he same price. Do you think one is better than the other?

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Someone else suggested the Benjamin Fortitude. Thay are about 5he same price. Do you think one is better than the other?

Other then being regulated they are 2 totally different guns.

Do you want a high shot count heavy gun for the bench? Get the Gauntlet. Do you want a lesser shot count lightweight gun to carry hunting? Get the Fortitude.
    If you want to go hunting I think you will be sorry if you purchase the gauntlet once you carry the gun around the woods for a few hours.

bgoodsoil

Aug 24, 2020
    The new Air Arms Avenger would be a good comparison for those two. It's also regulated and is very light at only 6#.

arts

Nov 14, 2014
    I really do appreciate the advice. I have looked at the three models that were suggested. Weight is an issue for me. I have some health issues and lighter is better. Perhaps I should have been clearer on my use. I would like to have something that I can humanly kill a couple of groundhogs at about thirty yards. I would also like to target shoot at 30 to 50 yards. I will not be doing alot of walking and hunting. A 22cal pellet at 1000fps sounds a little light for the hogs or is it adequate?

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    Pardon my ignorance here, I was on my way down the hall to the Reloading forum when I saw the sign on the door and thought I'd stick my head in, especially since I can't (won't) buy ammo and components at current gouging prices.

I have the old pump Powerline something or other and I can annoy the squirrels and groundhogs with it, but I'm curious about what else is out there. The pumps and compressors (and adapters) that you're discussing; are they like the one I have (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2...tical-Electric-Air-Compressor-C202H/312074157) that drives my nail gun and my impact wrench or is higher pressure needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom