• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Will you be out of town on Thursday, September 10th? Rick and I are taking a field trip to the PSA Shootout to see how a real Falling Steel Match is run. Regisger and ride with us. We are also picking up another load of toys while we are there. We can use some muscle.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...hUKEwi3iafq_cLrAhWtmHIEHQmVBf8Q4dUDCAg&uact=5
    I wasn't aware of this organization. I may try to head up as well.

Sent using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Unfortunately, we are not permitted to have targets that resemble a person in any way.

I'm fine with robot velociraptors or animatronic zombie turduckens, closer to Thanksgiving.

EDIT: on a more serious note, does that include the steel silhouettes that simulate hostage shots, that sorta thing?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    $60 isn't even that much. The PNTC tournament in a couple weeks is $120. Of course, that has a prize table, too...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    $60 isn't even that much. The PNTC tournament in a couple weeks is $120. Of course, that has a prize table, too...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

That is a good point. More than 50% of the proceeds are paid out to winners of the Lewis and top guns in certain divisions. So $30 of yourself $60 is going to the prize table.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That is a good point. More than 50% of the proceeds are paid out to winners of the Lewis and top guns in certain divisions. So $30 of yourself $60 is going to the prize table.
    Let's be real, this is gonna be me:
    98303132_1082256358817508_4941176513304199168_o.jpg

I do think it would be cool to have a once a year, full bays, all day 3gun tournament with a larger entry fee, sponsors, prize table, etc. Might be a nice way to raise some additional money for the program.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Let's be real, this is gonna be me:
    View attachment 293359

I do think it would be cool to have a once a year, full bays, all day 3gun tournament with a larger entry fee, sponsors, prize table, etc. Might be a nice way to raise some additional money for the program.

We would love to have a points series one day. Unfortunately, we just are not there yet. Trying to learn what that would look like. Need someone with expertise in getting sponsorships. I have reached out to over 100 major companies and only got one response; from a company that wanted to sell us Shooting Jerseys.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    We would love to have a points series one day. Unfortunately, we just are not there yet. Trying to learn what that would look like. Need someone with expertise in getting sponsorships. I have reached out to over 100 major companies and only got one response; from a company that wanted to sell us Shooting Jerseys.
    I can hook you up with the guys who ran USPSA Area 8 a couple weekends back, if that would be helpful. I will say that USPSA and 3GN have a leg up in that they are running "official" regional and national matches, so sponsors have more of an idea of what they're getting into.

There is also not as much of a competitive shooting culture in the 95 corridor region as in, say, central VA or western/eastern MD, and that does hurt getting sponsorships somewhat. Driving business to the local shops is some of what gets you match sponsors, and I've yet to see any of the shops on the corridor even acknowledge competitive shooting is now a thing in our area. *shrugs*

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I can hook you up with the guys who ran USPSA Area 8 a couple weekends back, if that would be helpful. I will say that USPSA and 3GN have a leg up in that they are running "official" regional and national matches, so sponsors have more of an idea of what they're getting into.

There is also not as much of a competitive shooting culture in the 95 corridor region as in, say, central VA or western/eastern MD, and that does hurt getting sponsorships somewhat. Driving business to the local shops is some of what gets you match sponsors, and I've yet to see any of the shops on the corridor even acknowledge competitive shooting is now a thing in our area. *shrugs*

Sounds like you have a good understanding of this. Thanks for volunteering to spearhead this. Let me know what type of support you need.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Thinking of maybe doing the 2 gun match on the 12th. It'd be my first match ever. If I've got a couple mag holders for my handgun and 1 for the AR will that suffice? Not super sure how prepared for this I am. Outside of watching videos on 3 gun etc I don't know what to expect

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Thinking of maybe doing the 2 gun match on the 12th. It'd be my first match ever. If I've got a couple mag holders for my handgun and 1 for the AR will that suffice? Not super sure how prepared for this I am. Outside of watching videos on 3 gun etc I don't know what to expect

You should sign up. As long as you are safe and want to have some fun you will be fine. Lots of good people will be around to help you out. Just let your RO know that it is your first time and they will make sure that you shoot later in the group so that you get a good idea of how people are shooting the stage. I am sure that someone may even let you try out a shotgun on a stage if you are so inclined.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

You will also need a solid holster that is gun specific; no nylon multi fit Walmart holsters. I think there is one slot open right now. Like gmharle said, pick up a 100 pack of bird shot and a few slugs from Walmart. I can find someone on your squad to loan you their shotgun if you want. Its your call. Typically this requires shotgun shell caddies so that you can reload on the go, but most of us, including me, started by putting them in my pocket.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    You will also need a solid holster that is gun specific; no nylon multi fit Walmart holsters. I think there is one slot open right now. Like gmharle said, pick up a 100 pack of bird shot and a few slugs from Walmart. I can find someone on your squad to loan you their shotgun if you want. Its your call. Typically this requires shotgun shell caddies so that you can reload on the go, but most of us, including me, started by putting them in my pocket.
    Thanks for the information. I've got good holsters, so that won't be an issue. I've also got an remington 870 shotgun, which I know is not ideal for 3 gun so I'd rather just sit that portion out to be honest.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IMHO, that's the right call. Shooting 3gun with a 3gun shotgun and shell carrier is phenomenal. Shooting 3gun with a pump gun and some shells on a side saddle... not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom