• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Very nice work.

Does it seem like they're mostly feeding on acorns at this point (recognizing this might vary if you've got bait or fruit trees, etc)?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Not sure. I have a simple cornhole and it brings them in like crazy. It’s a stop on the way to and from their bedding area. Had my choice between 6 does. Took the biggest one that I could hit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Chiggers. Not good.

My old uncle swore he was following the Indian way. He did four things. Wool socks. Flowers of sulfur (powdered) in his boots. Worked up a decent sweat right after coming out of the woods. Changed clothes immediately.

He swore it worked. I never hunted that early in the season.

It was 39F this morning here. Don’t chiggers die/hibernate or whatever once temps get below about 42?

If so, but if cold snap should reduce their numbers a lot.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    It was 39F this morning here. Don’t chiggers die/hibernate or whatever once temps get below about 42?

If so, but if cold snap should reduce their numbers a lot.

Some of the Buck Chiggers around my way need one or two good frosts
    to kill those suckers off for sure.
    When we go in you drop your trousers and load up with back woods off.
    Waist, back of knees-under the socks.... instep and ankles etc.

You still pick a few up every now and then again.
    Some people they don't bother.
    I'm not one of them.
    Back in the day, guys used to wear cut off panty hose, duck tap pants shut and all that.
    That was back when cans of spray on silicon to the nth degree is how you kept your boots from leaking.
    Now knee high rubber boots help keep them off to a certain degree but if your susceptible to them you better load up with some sort of spray and then hit yourself in the face with it when your in the stand depending on where your at on the shore even just for mosquitoes let alone chiggers.

Chiggers-They'll come off the phrag and kick you in the face.:)

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Not sure. I have a simple cornhole and it brings them in like crazy. It’s a stop on the way to and from their bedding area. Had my choice between 6 does. Took the biggest one that I could hit.

I've been seeing most around oaks as they're almost done dropping where I'm at in MoCo. Scored two last week.

roosterfried

Aug 3, 2020
    Was able to put my first creature down yesterday morning. A spike out of pax river state park. First deer hunt, first tree stand, first field dress and processing. I see and feel the addiction now

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Put a doe in the cooler yesterday. I think I'm gonna shoot everything that walks early this year to open up time for ducks later. Here's to hoping it gets frigid fast!!

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Mine son got his archery buck tonight. This guy was so fat his insides were stretching his skin. He has a palmated right brow time and some on his beams.

I was covered in deer but didn’t get a shot. I’m still holding off on my buck for the one I missed early season.

Attachments

• 7B7B5B0F-A9ED-4617-8E3E-965B3B7E536B.jpg
      7B7B5B0F-A9ED-4617-8E3E-965B3B7E536B.jpg
      35.3 KB · Views: 374

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Mine son got his archery buck tonight. This guy was so fat his insides were stretching his skin. He has a palmated right brow time and some on his beams.

I was covered in deer but didn’t get a shot. I’m still holding off on my buck for the one I missed early season.
    Very nice, pretty almost perfectly typical rack. Mirror image side to side. Congrats to your son.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, and got her back. 38.5lbs all up. Both does last year we’re 29.5 back from the butcher and I am sure they we’re yearlings. So I think my guess was likely on of around 90-100lbs live weight. Should have been almost no loss of meat on the hit, but both does last year shouldn’t have lost much either.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    My target “shoot or pass?” Buck disappeared after the opener. Going for some doe meat tomorrow morning. Had a 6ptr and a cow horn spike under for for an hour tonight. At one point they started sparring a little. No camo or scent control. 16 ft up in a lone wolf hang on not moving w a face mask and hat. They bedded down 15 yards from my stand and i was still able to sneak out without getting busted.

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    My target “shoot or pass?” Buck disappeared after the opener. Going for some doe meat tomorrow morning. Had a 6ptr and a cow horn spike under for for an hour tonight. At one point they started sparring a little. No camo or scent control. 16 ft up in a lone wolf hang on not moving w a face mask and hat. They bedded down 15 yards from my stand and i was still able to sneak out without getting busted.
    For context, I'm curious - public or private land?

Can't imagine pulling down a hang on stand with deer that close and not having them run away.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    He'll be 'back home' for late muzzle loader season, if he survives.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    For context, I'm curious - public or private land?

Can't imagine pulling down a hang on stand with deer that close and not having them run away.

Private. Hang ons stay up until Feb 1. A fair amount of hunting pressure though. I only have dominion of about 20 acres of it. About 4 others that I know about in other spots in then neighborhood/forest + nearby farms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom