• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    For self butchering we do it, but we also built a walk in cooler to chill them. Say I shot a deer Tonight on saturday. It would go hang in the walk in cooler until Sunday morning or afternoon. Then pulled back and hung in the garage and skinned, bone out the three roasts in each leg, tenderloins inside, back strap out, split off front legs and debone. Cut out neck and other scraps. I used to use buckets and into the fridge and now switched to meat lugs.

My daughter found this video to help her understand it. Probably really help full for you guys jumping in it on your own.

Abuck, I like to butcher my own deer. But little to no chance I want to start a business doing it!!!!

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    For self butchering we do it, but we also built a walk in cooler to chill them. Say I shot a deer Tonight on saturday. It would go hang in the walk in cooler until Sunday morning or afternoon. Then pulled back and hung in the garage and skinned, bone out the three roasts in each leg, tenderloins inside, back strap out, split off front legs and debone. Cut out neck and other scraps. I used to use buckets and into the fridge and now switched to meat lugs.

My daughter found this video to help her understand it. Probably really help full for you guys jumping in it on your own.

Abuck, I like to butcher my own deer. But little to no chance I want to start a business doing it!!!!

That was a decent video. It seemed easier to remove the meat from the deer while it was still hanging. But I just bought a Lifetime table so I can lay the deer out!! Damnit.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Does anyone know where to get a euro mount done near MoCo, I’m willing to travel a little ways. My pot is a tad too small this time, otherwise I’d do my own.

My boss does them. His add is in all the regional magazines. European Skull Busters. PM me if you want his number

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'd be interested in what you are using for recipes. I have tried a lot of the scratch recipes people float out there and most SS I have tried are crappy and would sell if commercial. I have made three different Jalapeno and Cheese and not likes a single one.

I pretty much make Lebanon and Mettwurst and tried black pepper ones as I like pepper jerky so much and they don't seems to translate well.

My own personal research has found most people should stay around 20% fat in their recipe. I go down to about 13% but I only smoke to 145° internal and hold that. That way there is never a chance of overcooking and fatting out your SS. I know guys that only cook it to 135° and you can have a safe product if held there for over 30 minutes. I spent a lot of years working on this in the smoke house and my SS is far more moist not doing it this way. You can read the entire process here.
    I've been making elk summer sausage quite a bit and I've found mine turns out better without any added fat. The last two batches have been excellent. The only problem I encounter from time to time is that i have a tendency to over season. Not a big deal to me, but my father isn't a fan of the saltier ones.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Congrats to those who are getting deer. Way too early for me. I don't like to hunt deer until the temps are below 60. I'll do it if it is warm in early ml, but not something I like to do.

I've had the opposite experience. Bought a fairly cheap one 7-8 years ago and have never had an issue. The best way to buy bags is to get the rolls of material and make your own. Have a helper cut them to size and seal one end while you do the butchering.

Screw the bambi-huggers, they don't want people hunting period. In some parts of the state it makes complete sense to take fawns. Most of Howard and Carroll is so overpopulated, hunters should be taking almost every deer they see.

Me too, but I hunt when I can. I like putting one in the freezer early and then I tend to do most of my hunting in October and December. November if an opportunity presents itself. But my November’s are usually really busy with family stuff.

I was sitting in a swarm of mosquitos yesterday morning. I’ve been meaning to try out the thermacell I got a couple weeks ago. But I was lazy and reaped those rewards.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That sucks. Leave it alone for a while he will likely be back into a routine soon. Post pics once on the ground.

The other 6 in the herd of 7 that I plucked one out of yesterday morning were trickling back in through out the day. During the evening feed all 6 were out there eating again.

In my (admittedly not extensive experience) is it tends to take sustained pressure to get deer to change their habits for long. That or changing season will change it. Especially when it comes to food sources.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You mean - Avoid until first day of firearms season. Because that’s where most of the big boys are headed for the following few weeks once the shooting starts.
    Be there to be the welcoming committee ;)

Most of my success has been hanging out near really thick stuff. Unless it’s tiny, some deer are using it for bedding. Find any obvious trails leading in/out and wait.

Now if it’s a huge patch (like many acres) then it’s harder to figure out how they are using it. But you can still be sure some deer are using it.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Buy a bigger pot? :shrug:

After I posted that I realized I got rid of the gas grill. It’s what I usually used since I wanted to stay married and not boil them in the house. I replaced with a pellet smoker and I don’t think it will work as well. I called Outrider’s guy and I will let you all know what happens.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    No luck for me this morning.

I turned off my thermacell to see if it was working and instantly got harassed by mosquitoes. That little gadget is amazing.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Most of my success has been hanging out near really thick stuff. Unless it’s tiny, some deer are using it for bedding. Find any obvious trails leading in/out and wait.

Now if it’s a huge patch (like many acres) then it’s harder to figure out how they are using it. But you can still be sure some deer are using it.

Tried to PM ya....box is full

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    No luck for me this morning.

I turned off my thermacell to see if it was working and instantly got harassed by mosquitoes. That little gadget is amazing.
    I had mine on last night, no issues. Didn't take it this morning and got swarmed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    We had enough wind last night the skeeters weren’t too bad. Had two small bucks come in to 60 yds and start play fighting. Other than that these turkeys came into 10yds. I was ground hunting, no blind just sitting still in my camo with an orange hat.

Attachments

• 2DC4F1EF-AADD-4C58-9D97-82E10D966D4C.jpeg
      2DC4F1EF-AADD-4C58-9D97-82E10D966D4C.jpeg
      102.5 KB · Views: 297

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    Haven't used mine yet. Preseason I sprayed all my outerwear with permethrin and I think it must be working.

Other than my eyes and if I take off my gloves they stay away. that said, they figure out when I take my gloves off impressively fast.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ampm24-7

Jan 31, 2015
    Columbia, MD
    I’m pumped. Got my gear up and ready. Good luck all!

Overboard, beautiful buck!

I think we both hit "go" at the same time, so now there is a duplicate thread. Oops - do we have Mods that can delete my other thread?

Who else is excited for archery opener?

I've done my grumbling about not getting into the WMAs I had scouted, but have moved past into excitement for trying some new land. Gave me the push to start figuring out some new spots via e-scouting, so that is kinda fun.

Having never taken an archery deer, pretty much anything that isn't a button buck or a fawn is fair game for me at this point, if I get close enough. My goal is to get where I've got some meat in the freezer, and then start figuring out how to set the bar higher.

Good luck.

What about the rest of ya?

Sent from my Google Pixel Slate using Tapatalk

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've got to find some better land. If anyone knows a club or lease near St. Mary's that can take one more, please pass that info along. Willing to work and pay a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom