How much interest is there in 300 blackout?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland

The reason I ask is there was a thread about procuring some 5.56 brass to have it converted in another thread and I didn’t want to hijack it.

The question is if I tooled up to convert 5.56 to 300BO would there be any interest in it.

Other than a trim die and probably another trim motor for convenience, I have everything necessary to complete the task.

Brass is not a problem; I probably still have over 400M once fired military. I can clean 8M at a time. And depending on how fast I run the press it looks like I could convert at least 1M an hour.

I have something going on at this time that will prevent me from getting started till after the holidays. So, I have time to research the topic.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

The reason I ask is there was a thread about procuring some 5.56 brass to have it converted in another thread and I didn’t want to hijack it.

The question is if I tooled up to convert 5.56 to 300BO would there be any interest in it.

Other than a trim die and probably another trim motor for convenience, I have everything necessary to complete the task.

Brass is not a problem; I probably still have over 400M once fired military. I can clean 8M at a time. And depending on how fast I run the press it looks like I could convert at least 1M an hour.

I have something going on at this time that will prevent me from getting started till after the holidays. So, I have time to research the topic.

I barely shoot my 300 BLK. It’s good for specific purposes like dispatching things quietly or deer hunting. Not a plinker. I can shoot suppressed 9mm a lot cheaper.

I am impressed you can do 1 million per hour...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I guess the starting point is converting the right brass. Lake City is prime and so is WCC. Case thickness at the neck is key.

I was the OP in the other thread. Teratos and I have worked out a deal, so I am no longer in need.
    Your use of "M" has us confused. Most take "M" as "million". Please clarify.
    The above being said, I would be interested in having 2000 pieces of mixed brass resized, swaged and cleaned.

ETA- I saw "M" explained above. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not what most are used to around here.

K is short for 1000
    M is short for 1,000,000

Are you a European or African Swallow?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    C is short for 100
    M is short for 1000

Are you Roman?

I guess most people today use K for 1000 and M for 1 Million.

To answer your question I love my 300 B/O. Even without the Binary trigger it’s one of my favorite rifle/pistols to shoot. I convert my own brass as well as buy and trade for more. Before the current crisis I think I paid $180 for 1K prepped cases. So I would be interested from time to time if the brass was of good quality and the price was reasonable.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Not what most are used to around here.

K is short for 1000
    M is short for 1,000,000

Are you a European or African Swallow?

Actually, some of my ancestors spoke both Italian and Sicilian.

As far as abbreviations. For large scale reloaders and suppliers, C has been used for 100 and M for 1000 for years.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    I like 300bk. Initially it was gonna be great. Zillions of 556 cases, trim, reload, cheaper than 556. Now I'm leaning toward a 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Last time I look 6.5C was cheaper than 300blk. Thats nuts.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If not for the Ammo crisis I’d almost be there. With Wolf finally importing steel cased 300BO, quarter shots were there.

Then things hit. My Grendel is only a quarter a round for wolf steel (well, was of course).

About the same cost to reload either direction. Only thing it’s not really better at is subsonic. Much better long range performance. Honestly a 6.5mm 120-123gr projectile probably has as good or better performance than a 7.62mm 110gr one moving around 2300. Especially if you are talking modest range like 100yds+ where the velocity difference is more like 300+. Probably advantage to the fatter round at pretty short ranges, unless it’s a big deer or quartering.

I am sad that other than Wolf steel, 6.5 Grendel prices never came down all that much. You could get brass cased 300BO for around 50c a round a year ago for plinking Ammo. Plinking brass 6.5G was about 65-70c (PPU and Frontier as they just hit the market last fall).

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The financial industry uses M for 1000 (based off the Romans.) MM = million.

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    I’d be interested in some converted brass. I don’t shoot 300blk with enough regularity to need a truck load, but perhaps 1000-2000 would fit My needs, if the price was right.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Love 300, more versatile, better in short barrels and suppressed, and better in most ways 300yds and in. Plan on building a couple more, and perhaps running the caliber in a SBR 3 gun rig. Only downside really is projectile cost, have been dealing with the 150gr Hornady FMJ I stock for my 308/30-06 service rifle loads, but really like the <125gr for supers and >200gr for subs, and for whatever reason those are expensive unless going with epoxy coated, which I'm not huge on running through sealed cans. Have some brass, but semi-autos are hard on it, just bought 1K a couple months ago to keep stocked(only had about 1K before), and should last as I'm not really shooting much, but when things come back, I'm going to need a few thousand.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD

Attachments

• African or European.jpg
      African or European.jpg
      24.8 KB · Views: 168

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads