• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Another question, but this one is for my wife.
    (I dang near have my whole street armed in the last 3 months)

Pistol vault:
    She has been getting 1 on 1 lessons from a local instructor and is at the point of ready to store the pistol in an locked but "accessible" location.

I am a big fan of NOT storing a gun in a safe that is visible, (on a nightstand, in a closet, etc), But the gun is hidden in a piece of furniture, etc.

As a contractor I was going to pick up a "Pistol vault" and "build it in" something.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/546976317227851738/

Question is:
    What type of lock for 100% reliability and speed of access?
    Bio-metric?, electronic push button?, manual buttons?

Thanks,

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I have a gun vault mini volt I picked up on a Black Friday deal 9 years ago (we were expecting our first). It’s been a good solution for quick storage but keeps it away from the kids. I just slid it under the corner of the bed and used a steel cable to lock it to the bed. Has worked well. Just added a stack on with amazon digital lock in the closet so I can have long gun on hand quick but locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    831ec85bf6020fcf4ee19549dbf66526.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom855

Apr 11, 2013
    The push button simplex type are much more reliable than a biometric.

And you never have to worry about dead batteries. The simplex locks have their weaknesses as well, but electronics add a whole batch of concerns to a really critical item.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

tom855

Apr 11, 2013
    Fort Knox makes probably the best pistol safe out there.

https://www.ftknox.com/product/original-pistol-box-wfront-sight-training-certificate-included/

Heavy duty, reliable simplex mechanical lock, no frills safe.

Fits nicely in a nightstand and fits two duty sized handguns and extra mags.

I don’t trust the electric/ biometric ones. I know I could not touch it for years and it’ll still open the moment I need it.

Heavy duty is an understatement. The thing feels like a rock. And I couldn't agree more about the idea of knowing it's always ready. I understand the draw of biometric. But I would never rely on it. Try opening your iPhone when your finger is wet...... and then imagine that's a fingerprint reader on a gun vault. To each his own, but they are not for me.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Mechanical buttons appear to be the way to go,
    I googled "Hidden pistol vault" and now have a list of all the place to NOT hide a vault,,
    placement will determine vertical or horizontal

FAS1

Jan 30, 2015
    Figuring out where and how you want to mount it will also determine what design works best for you. Many will only really work mounted in one orientation, but this one is more universal and can work mounted in any orientation and bolted from any side or the bottom. The gas strut will open it automatically and hold it open no matter how you mount it.

0a08d33c905695d37f724a82ee87e324.jpg

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Thats one I have not seen,, do you have a link for it?

Figuring out where and how you want to mount it will also determine what design works best for you. Many will only really work mounted in one orientation, but this one is more universal and can work mounted in any orientation and bolted from any side or the bottom. The gas strut will open it automatically and hold it open no matter how you mount it.

Mondial

Colt .45
    Nov 29, 2018
    Columbia
    The Gun Vault SV 500 has worked well, electronic but not biometric. LED light comes on briefly. Beep sound can be turned off. 9V battery lasts > 1 year. Key back up.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Checked them out online,, they do look nice and what I am looking for.
    Does anyone typically sell these at shows? as I wanted to lay my hands on it prior to purchase.

FAS1

Jan 30, 2015
    Does anyone typically sell these at shows? as I wanted to lay my hands on it prior to purchase.

I can certainly understand wanting to see one in person, but the only place to get one is online. You could always return it if it didn't meet your expectations.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks,
    I probably will.
    My main curiosity was some models have a key lock in addition to the combo lock. Does the key lock "override" or "active" the combo lock, incase the combo fails?
    or is the key "In Addition" to the combo ?

I can certainly understand wanting to see one in person, but the only place to get one is online. You could always return it if it didn't meet your expectations.

Homesick Texan

Dec 15, 2012
    Middle TN
    Thanks,
    I probably will.
    My main curiosity was some models have a key lock in addition to the combo lock. Does the key lock "override" or "active" the combo lock, incase the combo fails?
    or is the key "In Addition" to the combo ?
    In almost all cases if the lock is combo/electronic/biometric the key is for override purposes only; you wouldn't need to use the key and combo at the same time. They key is for battery failure, brain freeze with combo, etc.

FAS1

Jan 30, 2015
    In almost all cases if the lock is combo/electronic/biometric the key is for override purposes only; you wouldn't need to use the key and combo at the same time. They key is for battery failure, brain freeze with combo, etc.

In this case the key is used with a Simplex lock (not electronic) and it's primary function (out position) is to deadbolt the pushbutton lock for added security and quick access isn't desired. An example would be if you keep a dedicated home defense handgun inside the safe all the time. When you leave you can engage the lock so even if someone knows the combination the safe won't open. Most people aren't familiar with this option since it is an exclusive feature only available on these safes.

With the key in the neutral position it does nothing and doesn't effect the Simplex lock's operation. This would be how you would have it at night.

It does also work as a backup entry by key only (in position). This can be user disabled if you don't want key access.

eaacaedf1d96e08bc255603f5cab4e3d.jpg

Last edited:

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I'll add a vote for the Gun Vault Mini. It is easily concealable (say, on the floor between a bed and night stand, with a small trash can in front of it), secures to a fixed object either by mounting, or with a cable, and is easy to program any combo of button presses you'll remember at night or under stress. The door flips up and does not require a lot of clearance space, whereas the other pistol safes in this thread look like they need a whole lot more space for the lid to open, which holds the pistol.

The key overrides the electronic lock and instantly flips open the door, in case you either forget the combo, or if the battery dies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom