• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Like just about everyone else in the thread, I use a Goldenrod that the safe came with, and I have some desiccant packs here and there - any time I get something shipped with a big desiccant pack, I toss it in the safe. I have literally never had one problem with moisture in my safe.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    One more tibit on Desiccant packs. They can be recharged.
    There are different types of desiccant out there but what you see most common can be heated up in the oven at low temps to recharge (you can google how to do that). You need to then store them sealed until you are ready to use them.
    Desiccant expels moisture when heated up, then absorbs it when its cooler. (room/outdoor temp).
    Desiccant won't "draw in moisture" to your safe, it will remove it until its absorbed all it can, then become ineffective until recharged (to some extent if the moisture level rises, it will try to absorb some more, but not much)

when you see reports of people talking about guns rusting after being put away, I wonder if many of that is from people putting hot guns away in a sealed plastic case then letting it sit in a cold basement where the air in the case condensed.
    even my safe queens, I take out in the fall and spring and look over, run a patch of barricade, spray with Ballistol and put the sock back on.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have read that some dessicant packs these days are filled with regular table salt. Its not clean enough to eat, so its still marked "Do not eat"

If the stuff in the pack feels like crystals, I would not use it in a gun safe.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Another thing to consider with heaters like the Goldenrod, over drying wood can cause it to crack. I try to be cautious with my heaters.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Do you realize what is in those things?

Calcium choride. A SALT.

If you never spill one and always replace them with they are well below full, you may be fine.

But I prefer to not put salt in with my firearms.

The dessicants that are recharged by heating in the oven are, IMO, a much better idea for a gun safe.

Yes, I know what’s in Damp Rid. I’ve been using Damp Rid for almost 20 years in my safes and have not had any issues with salt contamination with the guns.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I use it too. Does the content of yours disappear completely? I often find there might be a couple of inches on the desiccant (gray vs white). BTW, I use the bag style, as well as the round containers.

Yes, the contents do disappear as the moisture is drawn in and down into the bucket as a liquid. When emptying them and refilling (every 2-3 months) I also see a bottom crystalline covering at the bottom of each bucket.

Damp Rid works very well and is safe for insuring a humid free environment for firearms.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Horizontally? For real? Mine has been hanging vertically in the safe forever. Is this really a problem?

Not really, but it's less efficient. Putting it horizontally on the floor means there'll be a warm curtain of air rising from the bottom up. Vertically and the warm air column is narrower

I don't have a goldenrod but I use an old piano heater put vertically. Works reasonably well but it prolly draws more current than a smaller horizontal rod to do the same job.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have a dehumidifier in my basement set to 50%. I stopped messing with the rechargeable desiccators because I would always forget to unplug them and the one melted. I have no issues with humidity and my firearms by maintaining 50% in the room.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, I know what’s in Damp Rid. I’ve been using Damp Rid for almost 20 years in my safes and have not had any issues with salt contamination with the guns.

As long as you know what you are dealing with.

I prefer silica gel desiccant around firearms.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I use a golden rod, but if your safe doesn't have an interior outlet or a hole to add power ... Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier or the like, but you have to monitor and dry as necessary (like when you change your furnace filter)... it simply plugs into the wall to dry out...

I use both in my safe.

Mondial

Colt .45
    Nov 29, 2018
    Columbia
    PEET Dryer

For a safe in the garage for the past three years, a "PEET DRYER" has worked great to prevent any signs of corrosion. Requires 110VAC inside safe.

SevenT6Vet

May 5, 2015
    Richmond, Va
    A golden rod in a climate controlled room is the only safe thing to do.

Some of the desiccants are salt based, so be very careful. While they are collecting water, they will still rust your stuff over time. Plus i've monitored the humidity with various types of desiccants and it doesn't do as well as raising the internal temp a few degrees.

Also, get your safe off the floor so air can move around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom