• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I thought at first they meant my reloading bench backlog and thought "yeah, seems about right".

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I watched some of the videos on Youtube on how big manufactures produce ammo from scratch. It is incredibly high tech and automated.

I'm surprised that they don't produce fast enough given that an automated system can assemble 375 (9mm) rounds per minute. That is 540,000 rounds per 24 hours!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm surprised that they don't produce fast enough given that an automated system can assemble 375 (9mm) rounds per minute. That is 540,000 rounds per 24 hours!
    375 a minute is like 6 rounds a second. No single machine can do five rounds a second. Your average machine does about 3000-4000 an hour, depending on what caliber it is.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I watched some of the videos on Youtube on how big manufactures produce ammo from scratch. It is incredibly high tech and automated.

IF, and only IF they can source the materials to make said ammo.

Much like any component-built equipment anymore, not everything is done "in-house."

The powder comes from company X, the primers from company Y, and the lead, copper, and brass come from company Z. If company X can't produce enough powder to satisfy the market need, your production line slows. If company Y can't produce the primers quick enough to meet the market demand, your production line slows, if company Z can't mine and process ore quickly enough, then your production line slows. Sure, they can pump out 540000 rounds per 24 hours assuming there's never a need to slow the line or halt it for maintenance, etc. AND they can keep the needed components in stock.

A LOT of primers come out of eastern and southern Europe which has been subjected to manpower restrictions and lockdowns for months on end. Most of the lead, copper, and brass come from mines in S. America where the same issues have slowed production. The run on powder for handloading combined with the massive surge in ammo sales has put stress on that supply line here as well.

Sure, they can pump out half a million rounds a day, but only if they have the components to do so. Just like a ferrari can go really fast, but only if it has the fuel it needs to do so.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Magtech does everything in-house except making copper, lead, and gun powder?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Admittedly skipped around a lot, but I didn't see where they make their own primers either?

I think the guide said they make primer in the next building and they skip the building. It isn't terribly interesting I'm sure but you have to walk on anti-static floor and dangerous place to be in.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Back in the late 70's i worked in a ammo depot in Roanoke Va. we welded in and installed pipe and skid systems that were pre-fab'ed local in Glen Burnie/Brooklyn area

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    And here is the scary thing,,, who controls Vista?
    what happens when one company owns 50-60% of the ammo manufacturing ??
    And they are controlled by leftists??

What most don't know is how many ammo companies that Vista owns. Look them up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

That’s only 17 million rounds a year. That’s not that much.

Total US market IIRC is around 6-8 billion rounds of all calibers. That includes the US Mil, which absorbs about a quarter to a third of that.

So one line can produce about .3%. That’s assuming it is really run 24/7. I’d guess few favorites run 3 shifts. They might have hired up to that by now. But still got feed materials, maintenance, etc.

I’d be shocked if they could increase production by more than 50% without needing more machines. Reading on some of the smaller guys, they’ve done just that, because the orders are so huge they could afford a few more bullet machines, pay off debt on old ones and tuck away nest eggs for their businesses. And that even assumes the market dries up tomorrow.

The big guys though are probably pretty reluctant to do that as it means building new buildings. Possibly buying land. Etc. I’d be surprised if none of them are expanding, but it is likely very modest and even if they do, it takes months to get the new stuff in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom