• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And here is the scary thing,,, who controls Vista?
    what happens when one company owns 50-60% of the ammo manufacturing ??
    And they are controlled by leftists??

Are you sure they are?

All I hear about are paranoid fears. Haven’t seen that born out with the various manufacturers. I’ve seen plenty of bad decisions. I’ve even seen some that feel anti-2A, that are clearly motivated by financials and or legal concerns. Can’t blame someone running a business, especially when there are shareholders you are responsible to, for making decisions based on finances and not principles.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That’s only 17 million rounds a year. That’s not that much.

Total US market IIRC is around 6-8 billion rounds of all calibers. That includes the US Mil, which absorbs about a quarter to a third of that.

So one line can produce about .3%. That’s assuming it is really run 24/7. I’d guess few favorites run 3 shifts. They might have hired up to that by now. But still got feed materials, maintenance, etc.

I’d be shocked if they could increase production by more than 50% without needing more machines. Reading on some of the smaller guys, they’ve done just that, because the orders are so huge they could afford a few more bullet machines, pay off debt on old ones and tuck away nest eggs for their businesses. And that even assumes the market dries up tomorrow.

The big guys though are probably pretty reluctant to do that as it means building new buildings. Possibly buying land. Etc. I’d be surprised if none of them are expanding, but it is likely very modest and even if they do, it takes months to get the new stuff in place.

An estimated 8.1 billion rounds, of all calibers and gauges, were produced in 2018 for the U.S. market.

That is what happened last time. Plants went to 24/7 operations to make as many rounds as they could without capital expenditures. You don't want to add lines for a short term shortage. IIRC, CCI and a couple of others did add lines, as the shortage went on a for a while.

It is also not like you can call up and have the machines delivered next week. They are made to order and have lead times of weeks or months.

But, of course, production line capacity is at the mercy of supply of materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom