• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKtoMD

Feb 1, 2020
    So I've searched through the forum quite a bit, and I've seen this question asked inside of a post, but never answered. Does a carbon fiber wrapped barrel meet the MDSP criteria for HBAR? The ones I've looked at have the same OD throughout the barrel, but of course are not stamped HBAR or advertised as one. Currently in the middle of a semi-lightweight build and don't want to shell out the money for one if they're not legal here.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    hmmm watching this... So you are asking if the weight makes it HBAR or just the diameter?

AKtoMD

Feb 1, 2020
    Correct. I've seen some people say they believe that if the OD is uniform through the whole barrel then it should qualify as HBAR. I've also seen others say that if it's not stamped HBAR or advertised as HBAR then it doesn't. I'm guessing it will end up being up to the discretion of MDSP, but hoping someone might have some more clarifying information.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    hmmm watching this... So you are asking if the weight makes it HBAR or just the diameter?

HBAR is a “profile”. An ultra-light HBAR makes as much sense as MD gun laws.

Has to be marked or marketed as HBAR.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    If you had a production line and took two consecutive barrels off the line, stamped one as HBAR, and didn't stamp the second one. The first one would be legal, and the second one would be illegal.

That is just one example of the epic stupidity of MSP and MD laws.

The one gray area is whether it can/must be marked/marketed by the manufacturer, the vendor, or by anyone. I have seen various opinions on that, but I have never seen it explicitly stated in any statute.

Someone feel free to correct me if it has been codified in law or explicitly opined on by the AG or MSP.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you had a production line and took two consecutive barrels off the line, stamped one as HBAR, and didn't stamp the second one. The first one would be legal, and the second one would be illegal.

The one gray area is whether it can/must be marked/marketed by the manufacturer, the vendor, or by anyone. I have seen various opinions on that, but I have never seen it explicitly stated in any statute.

Someone feel free to correct me if it has been codified in law or explicitly opined on by the AG or MSP.

I thought the barrel profile was a determining factor too. Cutout vs non.

Not a determining factor, but isn't an actual HB about 7 ounces heavier?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Nothing about weight has EVER been mentioned in MSP “guidance” to my knowledge, as you mentioned.

Cutout seems to be it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Nothing about weight has EVER been mentioned in MSP “guidance” to my knowledge, as you mentioned.

Cutout seems to be it.
    I know weight isn't mentioned. I'm just asking for the knowledge. I heard/read/watched that it's about 6 to 7 ounces heavier.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Proof Research and Christensen Arms have both marketed carbon fiber barrels explicitly marked as heavy on the manufacturers website.

As per profile. A good lawyer could wrangle that the current lightweight barrels (.625) are heavy barrels as the original AR-15 designs used a thinner profile but had issues with barrels bursting in full auto and arctic conditions. This was changed before the military trials to what we have now.

MSP guidance is marked or advertised by the manufacturer as an HBAR barrel. Colt SOCOM profile barrels are HBAR while BCM SOCOMs are not.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Someone feel free to correct me if it has been codified in law or explicitly opined on by the AG or MSP

Opined on by MSP in guidance sent out to dealers, HBAR/Heavy Barrel has to be marked, marketed or the literature needs to say HBAR/Heavy Barrel. Not anywhere in state statute and no definition anywhere of HBAR/Heavy Barrel other than the afore mentioned MSP LD guidance.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    thanks

HBAR is a “profile”. An ultra-light HBAR makes as much sense as MD gun laws.

Has to be marked or marketed as HBAR.

i was thinking that but wanted to confirm. so if they decide to mark the carbon fiber as HBAR, it would be considered GTG..

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Barrel profile is what us normal common sense types go on, but the profile is not mentioned anywhere in the MSP guidance. As a matter of fact there is a model on the list, that is approved that has a cutout simply because COLT refers to the barrel as heavy barrel. (But it is also banned on the same list by model number because of the cutout.)

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    MSP guidance is marked or advertised by the manufacturer as an HBAR barrel.

Opined on by MSP in guidance sent out to dealers, HBAR/Heavy Barrel has to be marked, marketed or the literature needs to say HBAR/Heavy Barrel. Not anywhere in state statute and no definition anywhere of HBAR/Heavy Barrel other than the afore mentioned MSP LD guidance.

I think the persistent confusion on my part is this example scenario:
    Criterion makes an HBAR profile barrel but doesn't mark it as HBAR and doesn't advertise it for direct sell to the public. JoeBob's buys the supply and advertises it as an HBAR.

Is that legal?

OR does it actually have to be marked/marketed ONLY by the actual manufacturer as such.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have yet to actually find the part of the law that actually says it has to be marked or marketed.. because MSP says it, that doesn't make it the law..I'm not saying it's not in there, I personally have not seen it.

It’s the guidance MSP has sent to gun shops. Don’t be coy. We all know it’s ambiguous and Unconstitutional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom