• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyderAK

Feb 17, 2020
    I’d love to get out and fish for snakeheads. Wondering if anyone has any tips on good spots to go and any tackle they use . Trying to do my part to help with these invasive bastards, and also fill my freezer!

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Any of the major creeks on the Potomac river above the 301 bridge are good.

RyderAK

Feb 17, 2020
    I wonder how far west, I’m up towards Washington county. Down that way a lot though might have to pack the rod in the work truck

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    any of the locks along the C&O should have them. i was at pennyfield a few years back and saw two guarding offspring. a dude on youtube pulled one out of little seneca lake. i took my son to rileys lock inlet using top frogs and spinners and no luck. that was right off the kayak launch pier. there is a pond about 50 yards north from rileys lock parking lot which i need to try. if you go in via violettes lock, the canal is fairly gnarly but the state/county don't do much to suppress the grass on the side of the canal. if you walk south, it opens up a bit but we're talking about 3/4 mile. i ride the canal often and keep looking for them and haven't seen any this summer. good luck. post pics

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I was trying to convince someone I know to start guiding for snake heads. He's got one of those War eagle boats all rigged up for nighttime bow fishing for gar snakeheads and what not. It was shocking the type of and number of the fish they are bringing in.
    If you ever hear of a reported waterborne UFO on the shore its probably only him.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Here’s a few out of my brothers pond. Pics are one of our club members.
    I understand they like bright and noisy baits.

Attachments

• 6357704A-A597-49AF-B561-352566F4E189.jpg
      6357704A-A597-49AF-B561-352566F4E189.jpg
      131.8 KB · Views: 914
    • CA6A7BC1-35CB-4FB5-A5E5-57620BAFCFCD.jpg
      CA6A7BC1-35CB-4FB5-A5E5-57620BAFCFCD.jpg
      137.9 KB · Views: 914
    • 42D409F0-6442-46CF-94D8-A9FD3E16FAC8.jpg
      42D409F0-6442-46CF-94D8-A9FD3E16FAC8.jpg
      107.4 KB · Views: 911

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Those are nice looking fish but why would your brother put snakeheads in his pond?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This species grow big. World record of 19.9lbs was caught here in MD. They don't even grow that big in their home waters.

I've caught 10#ers down in the Blackwater area.

OP, when you're fishing, keep an eye out for 'fry balls' of snakeheads. Schools of baby snakeheads. There will be one or two adults below them, protecting them. That's where you'll find the big ones.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I've caught 10#ers down in the Blackwater area.

OP, when you're fishing, keep an eye out for 'fry balls' of snakeheads. Schools of baby snakeheads. There will be one or two adults below them, protecting them. That's where you'll find the big ones.

That's done for the season right? That's a late spring event?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I was told by a guide, they have multiple spawns a year. That's what I heard. I am by no means an expert on snakeheads.

Now that I think about it I think you're right. Part of the issue with them is how much they reproduce.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    This species grow big. World record of 19.9lbs was caught here in MD. They don't even grow that big in their home waters.

Just a guess,but think of the panfish population around here.I bet once the numbers of snakeheads go up and the numbers of bait fish and panfish goes down,the average size of snakeheads will go down.Nature only allows so many pounds of fish living in a certain area.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Blackwater.
    Coworker went kayak fishing with his mother a couple weeks ago. Pulled in anywhere from 3-5 pounders to 10+ pounders. I believe 15 snakeheads in all. On bull minnows.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    I've never caught em hook n line. But I've shot my fair share over the last 5 years. I keep hearing how the Potomac is fished out but I haven't seen it. We are still killin plenty of 12=14lb fish every weekend. It depends on the time of year. Early spring we fill coolers full. This time of year, all the creeks get grassed up and they are harder to find. Give it a few more weeks and they will start showing back up and gettin fat for the winter. I have noticed how they are spread far n wide now. Buddy of mine shot one out by the target ship on top the water earlier this year. Bottom line is with the way they reproduce and adapt, they ain't going anywhere.

RyderAK

Feb 17, 2020
    Good tip! I keep seeing they’re real good to eat and fun to fish for. Pumped to get out and get after them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom