• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    Interested in borrowing, renting, or buying: dies, jigs, and rivet tooling.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I have gauges and a press if anyone wants to use them (annapolis area).Mods,let me know if this should be posted somewhere else (AK build??)

Makes sense. Post a new message in that forum. Something like "Build items to lend" and then everyone can post what they've got and location under that thread. Hopefully stickied.

alpine44

Feb 5, 2010
    I have a press and flat bending jig. Others have rivet tools etc. Your big problem is trunnions and barrel. I learned the hard way that doing your own builds cost way more than buying one or five.

I have rivet tool, spot welder, barrel removal and reinstall tools in Cecil County.

Need to rent/borrow a receiver bending jig (mine got stolen from a storage facility a few years back).

Should we start a thread for a build party?

Last edited:

CDFingers

Don't Call Me Sir
    Mar 4, 2013
    Sykesville, MD
    Thanks y'all, this is a great help.

I've decided the best thing for my case is to see if the guy from Gunbroker will cancel my sale, the Polish kit hasn't shipped yet, or sell it when it arrives. Then I'll buy a Romy G and do an easier build for my first time.

I'll be spending time this weekend on "book learning" the build process.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    I've got all the AK builder Jigs and benders. I also have the spot welder, press, but not the riveter. I'm in upper MoCo and would like to meet up with someone who knows what they're doing. I have 6 kits to build and want to do it right. Some are already head spaced others I'll need to do but don't have the gauges.

I can host a build party.

alpine44

Feb 5, 2010
    I've got all the AK builder Jigs and benders. I also have the spot welder, press, but not the riveter. I'm in upper MoCo and would like to meet up with someone who knows what they're doing. I have 6 kits to build and want to do it right. Some are already head spaced others I'll need to do but don't have the gauges.

I can host a build party.

Count me in. The sooner the better.

I rent the gauges from 4D in Montana.

dibbleg

Apr 10, 2012
    Odenton
    takes about 5 minutes if you have the right tooling. i've also got a set of riveting tools from toth tool.
    building my first romanian akm.. have already learned a lot regarding the first part of the build. getting closer. just have to machine the barrel for the pins. ( barrel, rear sight base, gas block and front sight base.

a solid drill press helps too.. and a good vice.. and end mills and reamers..torch..etc, etc.

it most certainly isn't cheaper to build your own aks at first, but i'll be damned if i didn't learn about every single little part of this gun. very satisfying.

How long does it take to bend a flat? Might have to hit you up over the summer.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Oh yeah, I have torches, drill press, end mills, X-Y mill jig, mig (if needed) etc... just no head space gauges. I need 5.45 and 7.62.

Anyone out there that's done this before want to teach?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    takes about 5 minutes if you have the right tooling.

Maybe for the bend itself, but there's a lot more work involved than just that. Even with the right tooling, especially for a first-time build, look at probably 15-20 minutes *JUST* for the bend/top rails. then there's heat treating, riveting, spot-welding the lower rails, and trimming the top rails to size.

dibbleg

Apr 10, 2012
    Odenton
    Maybe for the bend itself, but there's a lot more work involved than just that. Even with the right tooling, especially for a first-time build, look at probably 15-20 minutes *JUST* for the bend/top rails. then there's heat treating, riveting, spot-welding the lower rails, and trimming the top rails to size.

Exactly.. i was being a smart ass. :D I have no idea how much time i have into my build so far, but it is a lot.. and i'm still not done yet. just taking my time and trying to do things in the proper order, but i still made a couple screw ups.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Just taking my time and trying to do things in the proper order, but i still made a couple screw ups.

We all have. I'm still working on nice, clean rear rivets. At least I haven't riveted the selector stop on the wrong way or forgotten the handguard retainer before press barrel components. Yet.

I did get my finger caught in the cleaning kit trap though. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom