• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I have a gunvault, and so far it's worked ok, but if I was to do it again, I'd definitely go with a mechanical type. One caveat, some of those mechanical locks are extremely easy to brute force the combination on. 2600 magazine did an article on it a while ago, I can find it if anyone's really interested.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Where would you guys mount something like the fort knox pistol safe?

Where & how would you mount it..? (looking for suggestions/recommendations)

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    anyone have any experience with the Shotlock:

http://www.costco.com/ShotLock-Small-Universal-Solo-Vault-Safe.product.11764012.html

Seems similar to the Ft. Knox with the costco discount

I have the shot gun version and it's great. I'm toying with the idea to get the pistol version, but I need one to fit a full size pistol. Two full size pistols would be better.

****It does have a mechanical lock similar to the Ft. Knox but that's about it. It looks like it is made of pretty thin sheet metal and is stamped/riveted together. It is better than nothing but it almost looks like you could get into that thing with tin snips and a screwdriver.

The mechanical lock is nice to have over something battery operated but if you have the space just get the Ft. Knox for like $20 more. I think I paid $151 for my last one and nobody will be getting into that thing with a screwdriver or tin snips. It weighs like 25 lbs and has a gas assisted hinge as the door is so heavy. It's a beast.

I think it's the same Simplex lock that Ft. Knox uses. You're right, it's 14 gage metal and you could pop it open with a crow bar. I see them as more of a "keep the kids out" vs. "stop a criminal from stealing it" type box. No problem for me because if I leave the house for an extended period, everything goes into the safe. These are good for the "stash around the house, but keep them locked up" situation.

But the Ft. Knox will hold more and that might make the $50 difference worth while.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I use the GunVault 2000DLX in a couple places throughout the house. It can be programmed to open on 4 to 6 button combinations or it can be opened with a key. (The button combinations per entry can range from 1 to 4 buttons pressed at once). The finger strokes are factory programmed to make a sound on each entry, but the sounds can be programmed to off. Likewise, they have an alarm to let you know if somebody has tampered with them. That comes factory set to off, but it can be turned on if you can read English and follow directions.

My main focus with these handgun vaults is to provide quick access to handguns throughout the house should one be needed, and to keep our three little kids out of them. I just got a new one for another spot in the house and after setting the combination I let the kids play with it for an hour. They weren't able to open it. My 6 year old is begging us for the combination, but she will not be getting it until she is 20+.

We are also putting a Browning Medallion 29 gun safe in the master bedroom for the long guns. It will have an electronic push button lock and a key backup. When I finally finish off the man cave downstairs, it will get a vault door and we will put a Browning Medallion 59 gun safe in it.

Don't really care too much if some criminals get a couple of handguns out of the GunVaults. I doubt they will unless they want to carry out the piece of furniture that the safe is attached to, but that is not my main concern. My main concern is making sure that these handguns stay out of my kids hands until I let them use them under my supervision, and that these handguns are readily available to my wife and me should we happen to need them. The Browning Medallion is to keep the rest of the guns safe from my kids and to make it much harder for criminals to gain access to the vast majority of my collection. It will also contain some home defense long guns.

The one thing that sold me on the Browning safe is the ability to store long guns on the door. I use about all of 5 to 6 long guns the vast majority of the time and I hate digging through a safe to get to a gun that I want to use. Have 6+ on the door and another 6+ readily available in the front row of the safe makes it so I do not have to go digging very often. That was the deciding factor on the Browning.

dlmarion

Feb 6, 2013
    Carroll County
    GunVault failed me today and will only open with the key. I hear a clicking noise after I punch in the code but the door doesn't open. Did a little research and this appears to be a widely reported issue. In the market for a new bedside pistol box and found this thread. Sounds like there are other GunVault owners out there, anyone else experience the same issue?

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    GunVault failed me today and will only open with the key. I hear a clicking noise after I punch in the code but the door doesn't open. Did a little research and this appears to be a widely reported issue. In the market for a new bedside pistol box and found this thread. Sounds like there are other GunVault owners out there, anyone else experience the same issue?

Is it plugged in?
    Sounds like your battery died.

dlmarion

Feb 6, 2013
    Carroll County
    Failed GunVault

Finally got around to taking the GunVault apart. Took some pictures along the way. Turns out the glue inside had melted or otherwise failed.

First I turned the safe over and removed the padding from the top of the vault.
    20140216_115023.jpg

I removed three screws that held the lock housing to the safe and opened it up.
    20140216_120522.jpg

You can see where the wire is detached from the small metal rod. Looks like the glue melted.
    20140216_120536.jpg

Safe is in the trash at this point. I knicked a wire with my knife when removing zip ties that held the wire to the metal housing. Not that I fully trust it anymore anyways. I guess its time to go simplex. Even if the electronics don't fail, it could be something else.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    You'd have to use a list of all possible combinations to open it. Might take five minutes, it might take an hour or so. If you remember the first number it will take a lot less time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom