• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Of the two I received, one has a Tula stock with 1953 on it. No other Tula markings. SN is on everything. Bolt, piston, gas tube etc...

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket

LOL! Make it +$100 for me :D

I feel as though I got one heck of a deal. A Russian Tula SKS for $299 in this market? The stock looks pretty decent but it is hard to assess the barrel until I get the 40 gallons of cosmoline out of it. That won't happen this weekend because of other tasks that take priority. Once I get it completely cleaned up, I will see if I can get some other pics posted to this thread.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    the question still in the air is how Russian "Refubs" made it there? I could only imagine it would be 10-20 or 30 years or more before they were refurbed in Russia. Russia did not have good relations with Albania after they left in the early 60's, so how did they get there in the late 60's 70's or maybe even 80's?

When do they put the refurb stamps on the parts? After the rifle is put together or do they refurb the parts and then stamp them? Could it be a bunch of rifles were in Russia being refurbed, the parts got stamped but then the order came down to ship everything to China? so parts with Russian Refurb marks went along for the ride?

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    A few more pictures

Here are a few more pictures to demonstrate that this was really an all matching SKS. Below are pictures of the bolt, extractor, and piston that show all the same numbers. The extractor and piston have electropenciled numbers because of the size/shape of the parts. These parts haven't been thoroughly cleaned, so they are still a little dirty in the pictures. I also included another picture of the many different little stamps on the bolt. This rifle has little stamps all over it with the majority of them a letter or number in a circle or square. I cannot find any Chinese arsenal markings.

Once I got it out of the wood, I found some evidence of rusting and pitting, but most of it did not look active. I am still quite pleased with the purchase.

Attachments

• EPSN0104.jpg
      EPSN0104.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 202
    • EPSN0105.jpg
      EPSN0105.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 193
    • EPSN0092.jpg
      EPSN0092.jpg
      67.5 KB · Views: 290
    • EPSN0097.jpg
      EPSN0097.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 195

stevezio

Feb 23, 2009
    Taneytown MD
    My Classic Arms Chinese SKS that I just got seems to be identical to yours. The only difference is the dust cover shows where the markings on the top were ground away. The serial numbers all match a Russian. The bolt is silver and not black. The stock has the Russian Star and matching serial number but you can tell the stock did have another serial number at some time. I already had a Russian SKS and was actually hoping for a Chinese type 56 but I am sure I will keep it as a shooter and not a wall hanger like my other one. I have the parts sitting in spirits now.
    Talked to the owner at Classic and they are going to do a deal on a type 56 since the Russian is nice but it is not what i needed for my collection or ordered. Shout out to the team at Classic Arms.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom