• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    People ship their belongings in and out of state all of the time. I've shipped stuff to a vacation destination as to not have to hassle with airline baggage. I've shipped heavy equipment for work to destinations I'm headed to. I didn't give up ownership rights while it was being moved by a third party.

If you choose to have your belongings transported by mayflower movers, ups or the post office rather than carry it with you, I really don't see the difference.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Like this?

Yes, that might be "receiving" the magazine, and thus beyond the pale, although loaning guns, even handguns is legal as I understand it.

I didn't read the whole ruling but it appears that Chow says borrowing a gun isn't transferring, but does it it say borrowing a gun isn't receiving it? And I don't mean borrow like use it at the range, which is also allowed with NFA weapons, I mean borrow like let someone take it home, which isn't allowed with NFA weapons.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    My impression, based on my conversations with the State Assistant Attorney General, is that regardless of whether it's specifically cited in SB281 or not, mailing yourself a recently-purchased high capacity magazine could be argued (in court) as an attempt to subvert the meaning of the law. And, while it may not get you arrested by itself, that's never a good thing to try to defend against in a court of law.
    Were it me, I'd play it safe--either just carry them home with you or see if you can get a good deal this weekend in Chantilly (and carry them home).

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    My impression, based on my conversations with the State Assistant Attorney General, is that regardless of whether it's specifically cited in SB281 or not, mailing yourself a recently-purchased high capacity magazine could be argued (in court) as an attempt to subvert the meaning of the law. And, while it may not get you arrested by itself, that's never a good thing to try to defend against in a court of law.
    Were it me, I'd play it safe--either just carry them home with you or see if you can get a good deal this weekend in Chantilly (and carry them home).

I'd love to hear the legal justification for why Delta airline is different than UPS.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I'd love to hear the legal justification for why Delta airline is different than UPS.

They don't need a legal justification. Because they are both private carriers and get to make their own rules, subject to the fiats being spewed from the OweBummer WH. Aside from that, one primarily carrys live passengers and the other is generally limited to freight - so I imagine the insurance cost differs significantly between the two.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There really isn't much case law defining "receive"in this instance, in other related law it is defined as a transfer, so if you were caught, presumably by a state run sting, presumably with federal and carrier cooperation, and if they decide to railroad you, and if they can prove you mailed it instead of owning prior to the law, or transporting it yourself(already defined as legal), and if they could broaden the scope of the law and definition in caselaw, and if your lawyer sucks, then maybe you might end up in trouble over it. You could take it apart and send it as a "repair parts kit", that has some backing as legal, at least that way they have to prove that you never left the state to assemble it. There just isn't much case law either way, in one instance the law isn't well defined or oftenprosecuted, in the other it is mostly used as an add-on charge with other gun crimes not by itself, so your chances of running afoul is pretty low.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    They don't need a legal justification. Because they are both private carriers and get to make their own rules, subject to the fiats being spewed from the OweBummer WH. Aside from that, one primarily carriers live passengers and the other is generally limited to freight - so I imagine the insurance cost differs significantly between the two.

The police don't need a legal justification to arrest you? The court's don't need a legal reason to convict you?

What the heck does insurance have to with whether or not it is legal?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    TSA rules prohibit firearms or firearms PARTS and MAGAZINES in a carryon. Only exception is scopes.

Not gonna happen.

Checked bag-ok. Carryon-no way.

First paaragraph from TSA web site.

Travelers may only transport UNLOADED firearms in a locked, hard-sided container as checked baggage. All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames, receivers, clips and magazines are prohibited in carry-on baggage.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    A thousand 'what if's' and for what? Go ahead and be a test case; see if it's worth the hassle. For me, there's a variety of reasons it's stupid not to just go get the mags and carry them into the state; vagueness of the law, trusting the mail or an airline baggage handler, etc. There's several other ways to accomplish the same objective without the level of risk or anxiety. Work smarter, not harder. Being the test case or worrying about the legality of things is harder, much harder.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    If the OP is traveling light and doesn't want to pay baggage check fee and deal with baggage claim hassle just to check a bag because it has mags, nor wants the small risk of mailing his own property to himself in MD, perhaps there is a third alternative if OP has a friend nearby in PA, VA, WV or DE. Ship mags to friend, visit friend, buy friend a beer, drive home.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This is exactly what I do. I have a friend who lives in Springfield. I have the mags shipped to his house. Buy him lunch, pick up mags.

Done.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    So basically nothing's changed. If you were mailing it before, keep mailing. If you were carrying it in checked luggage, keep carrying.

In the uppity ump years when the limit's 20, I've never heard SWAT breaking down the door because FedEx delivered a 30 round mag (which you already own) that you sent to yourself. Nor have I heard of anyone being tackled in baggage claim for the same reason.

Carry on.

cyclelabs

Dec 18, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    I travel a lot to other States. While browsing a gun store in Georgia I saw some good deals on 30 round AR mags. I wanted to buy some but... How would I get them home?

Is it okay to put an empty mag in carry-on luggage?

If I mail them to myself, am I violating the "receive" wording in the new law?

Is carrying a mag across the boarder the only legal way to get one?

Am I asking too many questions? :0)
    Yes - Put I checked luggage. You will not have any issues. Keeping in original packaging is also good advice.

You're asking too many questions.

It's your property. You own it.

Now learn not to post such questions on a message board that is crawling with trolls, confidential informants, UC's and detectives from the the MSP firearms unit, and other provocatours, many of whom are looking to make a case on people doing things with their own property.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    You're asking too many questions.

It's your property. You own it.

Now learn not to post such questions on a message board that is crawling with trolls, confidential informants, UC's and detectives from the the MSP firearms unit, and other provocatours, many of whom are looking to make a case on people doing things with their own property.

:thumbsup:

Too mant people posting going out of their way looking for problems.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom