• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Remove the LCI. Makes a noticeable difference in how smoothly the 22/45 operates. Removing the mag disconnect and LCI and using a Volquartsen sear makes a big difference.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    GBs are the only round I've had occasional issues with. Removing the loaded chamber indicator will help with that. Also make sure the feed ramp is clean and not gunked up.

I definitely will be looking into removing that LCI.

Remove the LCI. Makes a noticeable difference in how smoothly the 22/45 operates. Removing the mag disconnect and LCI and using a Volquartsen sear makes a big difference.

You paying attention protegeV? ;)

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    My Ruger SR-22 has been pretty well perfect. I think it might have had a misfire at some point, but generally eats most any crap ammo I feed it. It is also very easy to clean, unlike some of the other suggestions here.

I will say that it is a fun little gun, but it is also no target pistol. The ergonomics are pretty good except for the double action trigger, which is appallingly bad. Fortunately, you can shoot it single action all the time, easily. But it is small and light and there is no getting around the fact that any pistol of that size/weight will punish your mistakes brutally.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I just hope that my new 22/45 (and revolver) will function with as low as Golden Bullets, since I have a bit of those available. My old MK II did good with them, aside from the expected FTF, and FTEs...If not, I'll have a lot of ammo just for my old Winchester 190 rifle...:D

Quoted for the latecomers that haven't read the thread... ;)

I already have a brand new Ruger 22/45, AND a brand new Heritage Rough Rider revolver ordered...Going to shoot some cheap ammo through both, and see what happens. Already bookmarked the TandemCross Loaded Chamber Indicator for the Ruger, but plan to shoot it a few times before ordering one.

Some may wonder why I didn't get the one with rails and removable grip panels, but I really don't need/want either option, and they upped the price 25%+, which doesn't make sense for something I could care less about anyway...These will both be plinkers...nothing more, nothing less...Majority of the feedback on both is positive, so we'll see how mine act for me, soon enough.

Got one of these:

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Target/specSheets/10107.html
    10107.jpg

...and one of these:

http://www.heritagemfg.com/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=5
    RR22B6_1.jpg

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    GBs are the only round I've had occasional issues with. Removing the loaded chamber indicator will help with that. Also make sure the feed ramp is clean and not gunked up.

If you want to preserve the original look of the gun without buying a filler, just remove the metal tang on LCI itself. This will solve any jamming problems while letting you use the original LCI flag.

The LCI flag is held in by a pin. There's no way for you to physically grip or push the pin out. You will need a small, powerful magnet to pull it out. On the flag is a spring loaded metal tang that actually contacts the round. That's the part that pushes the flag out when a round is chambered. It's also the part that can cause issues with feeding. Remove this piece and the tiny spring that goes with it, then reassemble. That LCI won't work anymore, but problems caused by that piece are now eliminated.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    If you want to preserve the original look of the gun without buying a filler, just remove the metal tang on LCI itself. This will solve any jamming problems while letting you use the original LCI flag.

The LCI flag is held in by a pin. There's no way for you to physically grip or push the pin out. You will need a small, powerful magnet to pull it out. On the flag is a spring loaded metal tang that actually contacts the round. That's the part that pushes the flag out when a round is chambered. It's also the part that can cause issues with feeding. Remove this piece and the tiny spring that goes with it, then reassemble. That LCI won't work anymore, but problems caused by that piece are now eliminated.

Great tip! Thanks. :thumbsup:

Rockfish

Feb 26, 2013

Good point and a fine way to save some money for ammo.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

I did this exact mod. Solves the problem and doesnt cost a dime.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    So...finally got up to pickup the new rimfire cousins this afternoon. Probably go try them out tomorrow afternoon...:party29:

The Ruger 22/45 comes with a separate top rail for an optic, which I will more than likely use in the near future. Definitely going to do the mod that Alan3413 described above, to the LCI. Have to do that at work, I guess.

The Heritage Rough Rider (6.5" barrel) comes with a coupon to mail in and get a 22magnum cylinder for $29. Looks like it will be a real PITA to load and eject spent cartridges from, but for the killer deal I got on the pair, as always, from JLowesGuns.com, who cares? Both guns, on the road and out the door, for well under my self set spending limit. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland

Figured since I have the most Golden Bullets of anything in 22LR, that I'd find out on the first day how these two liked (or disliked) the bulk, dirty stuff. Had TWO unused cartridges at the end of my range time. Two, out of the 250 rounds I shot. Not bad considering this was with 2 brand new guns, IMO.

Both were in the Ruger, and both directly related to the Loaded Chamber Indicator...:sad20:

Well, anyway, the Heritage Rough Rider shot well IMO....with the 6.5" barrel, inside Freestate's range, it sounds suppressed. Kind of a PITA to load and clear empty cartridges out of, but after a 1/2 dozen 6 round cylinders full, it was almost 2nd nature. Very accurate right out of the box....especially for a $125 gun...:thumbsup:

The Ruger 22/45, also is dead on, right out of the box, but had a LCI "jam" within the first 3 mags..,.:sad20: Had to pry the cartridge/bullet out of it's 1/2 in the chamber, 1/2 out of the chamber spot...held very closely to that stupid Loaded Chamber Indicator... :tdown:

Went home afterwards, cleaned and relubed the revolver. And popped on the SmartTV to the YouTube channel and found several Ruger disassembly/reassembly videos, as well as several showing how to removed the culprit. Had some cursing and whining trying to get it back together, but stripped and assembled the whole gun about 5 times just to try and familiarize myself with it...Not nearly as bad as some make it to be. No tools required...not even the "strong magnet" some videos insisted I'd need. I simply tapped the barrel, very sharply, into my other hand several times, and the little pin popped out enough to grab. Removed the metal tang that causes all the problems, and put it back together...

1st mod done, lol. :party29:

Going back tomorrow with 300-400 more rounds of Golden Bullets, and I expect it'll cycle them just fine now...I'm glad that is the case, as I didn't want to be one that "had to" run the more expensive, better ammo, unless I choose to.

Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I have a ruger 22/45, same grip angle and controls is how it is marketed but I don't have a 1911 so I can't comment if its true.

I have two 1911's and IMO the only thing 1911-ish, is the grip angle, which is very comfortable to me.

Mine's definitely thinner, and as far as the "controls", they are in the same general area as a 1911, but absolutely nothing like them as far as feel or how the safety or slide release functions...obviously, the mag release functions the same, but the other two? not hardly... Not complaining, but not the same as a 1911 by any stretch.

I don't have, nor did I want, the replaceable grips, so maybe that's why mine is definitely thinner.

Here's my RIA 9mm 1911...you see the safety and slide release are in the same area, and move up or down to do what they do...but comparing them isn't really apples to apples IMO...

Last edited:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Shot another 200 rounds or so out of the 22/45 yesterday. No malfunctions whatsoever. That was roughly 70 Golden Bullets and the rest were Federal auto match. The Federals have a noticeably louder sound and more pronounced "feel" IMO.

I'm just glad all 3 of my 22lr shooters have no issue with running the cheaper Golden Bullets. :thumbsup:

Now I think I want to put a red dot on it. Never had a pistol with any sort of optic yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom