• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gmp012

Mar 7, 2016
    I was wondering since an HQL is a state issued license what else can it be used for other then purchasing a handgun in Maryland?

(if this is the wrong section please change it to the best appropriate)

My biggest curiosity: has anyone successfully purchased alcohol or can it be used to purchase alcohol?

I'd like to hear other items, or forms of verifiable identification that an HQL can be used for.

an HQL:
    -Is a state issued vertical license (drivers license must be horizontal for any alcohol purchase)
    -proves your 21 or older
    -proves your not a habitual drug or alcohol user (sort of)

My story on this.. is that I tried it once out of sheer curiosity of exorcising my rights.The clerk was confused when I handed it to her, since she has never seen one before. I was denied the purchase until I showed her a non-vertical drivers license. She then started asking questions rather quickly as if I was someone with a fake ID..Even though I've been to this liquor store many times before, I answered the questions and she eventually sold me the alcohol and explained to me she doesn't want to get in trouble for selling alcohol to a minor which she said could lead to a year in prison. I don't blame her for being weary about the license, however, I tried to convince her its a state issued license and it proves i'm 21. How do non-drivers purchase alcohol? Whats your take on this?

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Not at the bar right now or I could find and quote the ID requirements exactly for alcohol purchase. From memory, a state issued ID (any state), Government or Military ID and I recall there being something about passports. Of course all must have birthdate. We have an ID card reader that will read the mag strip or bar code on most ID's as well as record basic information. It also will tell if an ID has been used earlier to prevent ID's from getting passed around.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops, but this kinda reminds me of guys who wear a CCW badge. why does anyone need to know?

just my opinion of course.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Tried using my Utah permit once by accident to get onto a military base and they were not amused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    Last year I was signing up for a Rapid Gate pass at Bethesda Naval Base and they wanted two picture IDs. They let me use my HQL. I ended up having a conversation with a guard there about the horrible laws in MD.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    We have worked in various .gov buildings in HoCo (CANX, Emerson) and have to get fingerprinted and all that jazz at the place on Sentinel Drive over in NBP. Unless you have a passport you need a birth certificate and a photo ID or two photo IDs. On the list of approved photo IDs is a state issued carry permit.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    the HQL is an official state of MD identification. by law it should allow you to buy alocohol, since you cannot buy a handgun before age 21... and can't get an HQL until you are 21....

then again, i was at a bar with my wife and her cousin and the waitress wouldn't take my wife's passport for her to have a drink. 5 minutes later the waitress came back and appologized..... didn't matter, my wife was pissed... and i wasn't happy either.... i did manage to refrain and not storm out of the joint.... should have though.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Notes: In Maryland, a licensee or employee of the licensee may not be found guilty of underage furnishing if the person establishes to the satisfaction of the jury or the court sitting as a jury that the person used due caution to establish that the person under 21 years of age was not, in fact, a person under 21 years of age if a nonresident of the State. This constitutes a general affirmative. In contrast, if the person is a resident of the State of Maryland, the licensee or employee of the licensee may accept, as proof of a person’s age, the person’s driver’s license or identification card as provided for in the Maryland Vehicle Law. In addition, beginning October 1, 2006, the licensee or employee of the licensee may accept, as proof of a person’s age, a United States military identification card. See Md. Ann. Code, Art. 2B, § 12-108(a)(3)(ii)-(iii).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom