• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr_yuk

May 9, 2012
    I have a Ruger AR 556 lower I am building and want to turn it into a MK12 Mod 0 "Clone". I've been researching but want to set my mind at ease as far as MD's dumpster fire they call "gun laws".

Is this upper assembly MD legal? The minimum barrel diameter appears to be .750.

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1103972&CAT=9389

Thanks!

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    I guess read up on MD's classification of heavy barrel diameter. Not sure if it's diameter or weight restriction but MD does indeed have a HBAR (Heavy Barrel) requirement.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Per MSP, it needs to be marked HBAR or advertised as such. None of the MK12 barrels I have ever worked on were marked HBAR, even though they were HBAR profiles in my opinion.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Per MSP, it must either be stamped ,Heavy Barrel or advertised as a heavy barrel.

Oops, see above.

BTW, nice looking upper. Just wondering what makes it worth so much?

mr_yuk

May 9, 2012
    Per MSP, it needs to be marked HBAR or advertised as such. None of the MK12 barrels I have ever worked on were marked HBAR, even though they were HBAR profiles in my opinion.

Does this mean I could request PRI to mark the barrel as HBAR? Or potentially woudl I have to ask them to use an alternate barrel stamped with HBAR?

I wish they would just release a min. diameter.

mr_yuk

May 9, 2012
    Per MSP, it must either be stamped ,Heavy Barrel or advertised as a heavy barrel.

Oops, see above.

The upper has a monolithic rail/riser that connects the handguard to the upper receiver. The handguard is also carbon fiber. Plust the tacticool premium.

It's absolutely a little overpriced, but I'm in love with the look. However, it looks like I may have to build my own with a barrel stamped w/ HBAR. BUZZ KILL

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Does this mean I could request PRI to mark the barrel as HBAR? Or potentially woudl I have to ask them to use an alternate barrel stamped with HBAR?

I wish they would just release a min. diameter.

Does not matter what the diameter is per the MSP. It can be an inch diamater all the way down its length and it does not matter. Only 2 things count.

Stamped/Marked HBAR or HEAVY Barrel

Advertised as HBAR/Heavy Barrel

If PRI stamps, it, it is compliant. I dont think they will though.

mr_yuk

May 9, 2012
    Does not matter what the diameter is per the MSP. It can be an inch diamater all the way down its length and it does not matter. Only 2 things count.

Stamped/Marked HBAR or HEAVY Barrel

Advertised as HBAR/Heavy Barrel

If PRI stamps, it, it is compliant. I dont think they will though.

No build is worth a firearms violation so I'll play it safe. Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    No build is worth a firearms violation so I'll play it safe. Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it!

lad to help. I wish I had more welcome news.

You have chosen wisely. The juice isnt worth the squeeze to test the Law IMO.

Engage Armament may have SPR proifile barrels that are marked HBAR.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Oops, see above.

Everything they sell is boo-coo expensive. It all seems to be very high quality stuff(I have one of their catalogs), but everything is marked to the max. They do offer Mil/LE discounts. To the best of my knowledge, they are not H-bars.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    lad to help. I wish I had more welcome news.

You have chosen wisely. The juice isnt worth the squeeze to test the Law IMO.

Engage Armament may have SPR proifile barrels that are marked HBAR.

Engage has 18" White Oak barrels marked HBAR...

I wanted a Mk12... but after I looked into building one I realized I could build a better SPR.

It's a bit of a dated bag of unusual parts....

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The upper has a monolithic rail/riser that connects the handguard to the upper receiver. The handguard is also carbon fiber. Plust the tacticool premium.

It's absolutely a little overpriced, but I'm in love with the look. However, it looks like I may have to build my own with a barrel stamped w/ HBAR. BUZZ KILL

Thanks for the info. I can see why you are so attached to it.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom