• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 5, 2018
    Hello all wow I see a lot of interesting comments about not moving to Maryland but I would rather move there and increase the republican head count!

My question is can I bring these guns:

Tri-Star Raptor Semi-auto shotgun
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    Moseberg Trophy Hunter 30 06 non-semi auto
    Ruger Blackhawk Air Rifle
    Windam AR-15 (can I modify it if it’s banned; can I make it legal?)
    3 Stripped Andersen Lowers

AR high capacity mags
    1022 High Capacity Mags

One Springfield XD-S 9MM

What else is good to know about Southern Maryland? Schools etc. I will be moving to the Pax River area (non-military).

Thanks for the advice!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Handguns have to be registered within 90 days of intending to establish residency.

STANDARD capacity mags can be brought with you. In fact, you can buy more out-of-state and bring them in. Just can't sell, trade, buy, etc. here in Maryland. Possession and legal use is legal. We can only count to 10 when buying magazines...

Air rifles have no regulation on buying/possession/owning. You may need to look up county/town specific laws on shooting it in the back yard.

The 10/22 can be bought here in Maryland, so that's good and doesn't need to be registered. Same with the Trophy Hunter non-semi [I assume you mean bolt-action]

I'm not familiar with shotguns, but it appears it's also good and doesn't need to be registered.

Not sure if you need to register the Andersen lowers.

The Windam AR-15 MIGHT be legal if you owned it before 10/1/2013 with a non-HBAR upper. Otherwise, you'll need an HBAR upper on it. [Either advertised or stamped as HBAR]. If you did own it before 10/1/2013, it will have to be registered if kept non-HBAR.

IANAL and someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong - about the registration, that is.

EDIT: Take a look at this thread: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=158200

Welcome to Maryland.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Everything on your list is fine with one possible exception.

The windham. If purchased before 10/1/2013 it is fine. If after that date, it needs a heavy barrel.

May 5, 2018
    Yes I did mean bolt action lol I had a brain fart

Thanks for the quick response you all are on your game! So I can call Windham and see if it is already an HBAR if not could I separate the upper and lower and store it?

Could I convert it to an HBAR? Any advice one where I could get this done?

Yes I meant bolt action the wife was talking to me when I was posting!

It seems I would be ok for the most part. Do I need to take any special classes for the handgun? I am a Marine and Air Force veteran and have my CC permit in VA? Besides registering anything else for the handgun?

Thanks!

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Everything on your list is fine with one possible exception.

The windham. If purchased before 10/1/2013 it is fine. If after that date, it needs a heavy barrel.

Is there or has there been a court case challenging the State requiring people to get rid of things in order to live here?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The other advice is sound. I'd also recommend getting on the waiting list to join Sanners Lake Sportsman Club...it's the only place to shoot in the area, and has a 2-year waiting list. Get the clock running now.

madmax7774

Nov 17, 2016
    Clarksburg
    To answer your question about converting the upper to an HBAR, I would say that if you have basic competence with hand tools, then yes you could covert the upper yourself. It's pretty easy to change an AR15 Barrel. You just need a barrel wrench, which are easy to come by and relatively cheap. Getting an HBAR barrel with the same gas system length as the current barrel would be the simplest way to go.
    If you are nervous about doing it yourself, PM me, and I would be happy to show you how to do it. I have built a dozen or so AR's and have the tools needed. I like to build and Tinker with AR's. For me it's like Lego's for adults... :lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The only one with follow up questions is your Windham :

Is it an HBAR ? If yes, no issues, treated like a regular rifle

If No - Did you personally own it before 10/01/13 ?

If yes, you may bring it , but it must be registered
    If no , can NOT enter into State in that configuration. You must make into an HBAR . You may change the bbl , or get an additional HBAR upper . You may own a non-HBAR upper, not attatched to lower, but if you reattach inside Maryland, that would be a 3yr sentence.

Disclaimer - I wrote this post just after the OP , but didn't hit send until later, so much was covered inbetween while I was doing somthing else .

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Windham has a lifetime warranty and will work on their rifles for free if you send it to them. Check their website for details.

You don’t need a license to have a handgun, and since you’re a veteran you’d be exempt from HQL if you wanted to buy a handgun here.

Welcome to Maryland; you should have picked a different state, but we shooters are happy to have you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Active Duty or full Retired Millitaty ( or LE ) is totally exempt from HQL . Prior service is exempted from the training requirements , but still needs the card .

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Is there or has there been a court case challenging the State requiring people to get rid of things in order to live here?

Yeah, it would be a losing case. The state isn't taking anything away from anybody. It is just saying that people coming to Maryland cannot have those items.

You think Mexicans can sue the US because they are not allowed to bring their marijuana or cocaine with them when they are immigrating to the US? Lots of counties have ordinances against mail order ammo. Pretty sure that other states have plenty of laws on things that cannot be brought into the state. Maryland used, and maybe still does, have a law that prevented wine from being shipped into Maryland.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Think of the poor immigrants from certain Arab and African countries who have to set their slaves free when they move here.

To answer your question about converting the upper to an HBAR, I would say that if you have basic competence with hand tools, then yes you could covert the upper yourself....

Why not just get a complete HBAR upper? Keep the old upper to use when out of state, never assembling it to the lower while within the sacred frontiers of the Free State.

There is no "constructive possession" law.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Gun stuff addressed.... time for the rest. Will you be working on Pax/right outside Pax or just in the SOMD area? So we can help steer you on where to look for housing.
    Are you looking for an apartment, townhouse, or single family detached home?
    What is the furthest you would want to commute to work?
    Are there school age children? Calvert has higher ranked schools especially if you get farther north in the county.

As mentioned before get on the waiting list to become a member as Sanners Lake Sportsmans club if you will want to go shooting locally and don't already have a place lined up. Non members can shoot at any match they have but, to just go target shoot at your leisure you must be a member.
    Most importantly Don't move to Maryland if you can avoid it!

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Active Duty or full Retired Millitaty ( or LE ) is totally exempt from HQL . Prior service is exempted from the training requirements , but still needs the card .

This.....need a Retired military ID card. Being a vet only exempts the training. Sure you want to move here? Can only purchase what MSP says you can....must be on the “approved” list. And forget about a carry permit unless you have a damn good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom