• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I disagree about the dash Sixes not being accurate . And yes , they definitely hit the sweet spot of size vs durability for unlimited full power rounds . ( There competition would be 4 5/8 Blackhawks , but that's a different discussion .)

Full lugs would be a matter of the balance of the specific gun . There actually Just Right on a 5in M629 , and 2.5in Pythons, but not so much most other iterations .

The Six Series was discontinued because Ruger thought they would eat into the sales of the then new GP-100 .

FWIW , the M28 was actually lighter than L Frames or full lug GP-100 . The N Frame grip actually fits me , but it's an issue for small to average hands .

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    To answer the question, it's also the one that I might have on me at the time as I really enjoy the ones that I still own. My favorite 357 Magnum carry is a Ruger SP101 with a 3-inch barrel. Small but sturdy even with hot Underwood rounds. Long double action trigger pull, but very predictable and easy to shoot well.

A Kimber K6S with 2-inch is also fun to carry, but I usually just load it with hot 38 Special rounds. Super smooth double action trigger pull.

A pre-27 makes for a beautiful "barbeque" pistol and is a pleasure shoot. Mine has a 3-inch barrel, the famous FBI carry.

I'm trying to figure out what role my Manurhin MR 73 revolver has. It's light enough for woods carry, but so overbuilt/designed, that they are thought to be million magnum round pistols. Should take it out to the range more often to get a better feel for it.

IMG_20170809_113739.jpg
    IMG_20180822_191858.jpg
    IMG_20180502_172308.jpeg
    IMG_20160614_204822.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I disagree about the dash Sixes not being accurate . And yes , they definitely hit the sweet spot of size vs durability for unlimited full power rounds . ( There competition would be 4 5/8 Blackhawks , but that's a different discussion .)

+1 on this one. 2 of 2 of mine are stellar accurate. Thumbnail size groups at 25 yards for one of them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    What is the price range for Manurhins at gun shows?
    Not sure many make it to shows. Even their availability on GB is sporadic, and prices are all over the place. $400-500 for really bad shape model, probably $700-1000 for one similar to mine (it's appreciated a bit since I got it), and $4000-6000 for rarer ones in good shape.

In Europe, for new production, I believe they're priced right under Korth in the super premium revolver market.

You're welcome to shoot mine on a range trip of course. Double action trigger pull is pretty funky.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    In the mid 90s, I sold my Colt Trooper MkIII. I am still regretting that.
    Unless you're on your death bed or facing a long prison term, DON'T SELL YOUR GUN! You'll ALWAYS regret it. It's a bitter lesson I and many others have learned over the years. If you sell it because you need the money, it will ALWAYS come back to bit you on your arse because needing money is something that comes and goes, and like Eddie Arnold used to sing: "It comes and goes alright. It comes every morning and it goes all night!" I think it was because he sold a Python or something.

I had a 4-inch 686-no dash that I dearly loved. No lock, nice wood grips, stainless steel front sight (not pinned). I sold it and now it's gone. I don't have one of those Maryland handgun licenses and don't want to go through the crap getting fingerprinted and all, so the gun's gone. I have a 6-inch, which is great, but I kick myself for getting rid of the 4-incher.

S&W has put out a wonderful 4- or 3-inch K-frame 66, but they've screwed it up by a horrible finish and an ugly two-tone look. The hammer, screws, cylinder rod and cylinder release are all black. I have no idea why they would purposely screw up the looks of the gun and I'd probably get one if they produced it in all polished stainless steel.

As it is, the Rugers are the best way to go, and you can get used ones for very good prices. And as the prices go up, more used ones will enter the market. The one thing I know is that mine aren't going to be among them!

What about Korth revolvers? Anyone have one of those?

a4aa025642205a36d5cbbbbd4c5c276e.jpg

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Yep, the Python is a remarkable gun, but S&W matched its accuracy with their 686 (at least with the first generation or two). Smith said it wanted to produce a match grade revolver that would go toe to toe with the Python and make it second to none as far as durability was concerned. The Python has a luxurious "mile deep" blue, and a decent frame. Its only drawback was it's pawl/hand, which tends to wear quickly and throw the gun out of time. A good fix to this is getting it hard chromed by someone like Mahovsky's. Hard chroming stops the wear in its tracks. Some hard chrome just the pawl; others hard chrome the pawl and cylinder ratchet. Either will make the time between timings less. The 686 made its parts large and durable enough not to need it. You can shoot the living daylights out of it and it won't need retiming.

Some say the forcing cone size of the Models 19/66/13/65 too small, but I've compared the size of these forcing cones with those of the Ruger Security-Six and they seem the same size or even smaller than those on the Smiths. This was hilarious to those who owned Rugers because of the ads S&W ran saying that forged steel was better than investment cast steel. Meanwhile, its forcing cones were cracking with 125- and 110-grain JHPs and Rugers weren't.

Actually, the only thing those damn ads did was make people hungry for steak and malts (remember those?). They didn't sell guns! And I could have told them that, revolvers notwithstanding. But it was funny.

I'm showing my age.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Rugers suffered cracked forcing cones as well with the rounds. It was pretty much confined to early generation stainless guns. Improved metallurgy cured the problem. Most gun makers had issues with stainless steel at first...it required some different techniques and took a bit of time to solve the issues.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I know the older guns are great. But some of the newer ones are decent, too. I picked up a new S&W 686 Pro with a five inch barrel. Yes, it's a seven shot, which is odd. Those guys have not forgotten how to make a revolver. The action is nice and smooth. It's still early so I don't know how much it might change as I shoot it. But it's really good right now. And I'm not going to hurt it by shooting it a lot.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I've always loved the Smith & Wesson guns, especially the large N-frame. But those were back in the day. When I first got into wheel guns back in the late 70s, it was almost IMPOSSIBLE to find any S&W .357s or any other S&Ws that weren't being sold for way over retail. I could simply not find a Model 66, nor could I find any on dealers' shelves at any price. When I got on a waiting list and waited, and waited, and waited for a stainless 629 6-inch .44 Magnum, I had to wait an extra week to pick it up, not because there was a waiting period, but because my dealer asked me if he could display it for a week just so people could see it! I'd waited months, so what was another week. He promised not to let anyone handle it and so it was a museum piece for a week. Ha! A week's worth of anticipation was well worth it!

Remember that STAR TREK where Spock has to go back to Vulcan and fight to the death for his wife? And after he killed (not!) Captain Kirk, he told the other Vulcan, "You may find, after awhile, that having is not as good of a thing as wanting." Ooooooh, wise Vulcan philosophy. Only he didn't want a 629! I owned it for years and sold it without ever shooting it. But I loved owning it!

But I'd love to have an N-frame Smith.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have had 4 N frame Smiths. First a 6” M28 357, one of the most accurate handguns I ever shot. 2nd a 6” M29 44 Magnum Classic Hunter. Great shooter, just as accurate. Third, I still have, M629 Classic DX 44 Magnum stainless, highly accurate like the 6” M28. Last, 4” M28 357, good shooter as well.

Got rid of the 28’s because thst caliber in large frame didn’t appeal to me. Should have kept the 6” since it shot so well. Classic Hunter was becoming collectible so I sold it as such, should have kept it, it shot very good as well. The DX...a keeper, shoots extremely well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom