Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 19th, 2020, 11:15 AM #1

Maryland 77R expungement

Hey all,

I just got my HQL, and im looking for a 77R, i got through the form and to the questions:

Question 3 is

3. Have you ever been convicted of a crime of violence?
The term crime of violence means: abduction; arson in the first degree; assault in the first or second degree; burglary in the first, second, or third degree; carjacking and armed carjacking; escape in the first degree; kidnapping; voluntary manslaughter; maiming as previously proscribed under former Article 27, 386 of the Code; mayhem as previously proscribed under former Article 27, 384 of the Code; murder in the first or second degree; rape in the first or second degree; robbery; robbery with a dangerous weapon; sexual offense in the first, second, or third degree; an attempt to commit any of the crimes listed above; or assault with intent to commit any of the crimes listed above or assault with intent to commit a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year.

I had a second degree assault on my record and on 3/30 got it expunged. it hasn't been removed from CJIS yet, but i have all the expungement paperwork which i used to get my HQL without issue.

when i hit Yes it says

If a truthful answer to question 3 is "yes," it is a violation of law for you to purchase or possess a firearm. Providing a false answer to any of these questions is a crime and may result in imprisonment and a fine. (DO NOT PROCEED)

This action will prohibit the applicant from purchasing a regulated firearm using this application form and will void the application completely.

what do i do? has anyone had this experience?
blueharford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2020, 11:36 AM #2

for anyone that might have this question one day. per MSP licensing. if its expunged and not removed from everything yet. say no to convictions and attach your expungement at the end of the 77R.
Old May 20th, 2020, 12:39 PM #3
F-notso-NG-anymore

F-notso-NG-anymore

Even with MSP saying something, spend a 'few' bucks with a 2A lawyer in MD. Sometimes, depending on who gets on the phone, the answers in the past have been mixed. What you don't need is Trooper A saying "You're good" and hypothetically Trooper B raising the penalty flag (correctly or not) then you get to meet some SWAT-types when they bust down your door and probably shoot your dog to get that firearm "back".

Note: this is not 'cop bashing', things can happen with dynamic entries and if the canine is construed as a threat, well, sht happens.
ABYC Certified Master Technician
Pink Pistols/Operation Blazing Sword coach since 2009

Have you taken a fence-sitter shooting today?
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2020, 01:27 PM #4
dont be a dumbass

dont be a dumbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Even with MSP saying something, spend a 'few' bucks with a 2A lawyer in MD. Sometimes, depending on who gets on the phone, the answers in the past have been mixed. What you don't need is Trooper A saying "You're good" and hypothetically Trooper B raising the penalty flag (correctly or not) then you get to meet some SWAT-types when they bust down your door and probably shoot your dog to get that firearm "back".

Note: this is not 'cop bashing', things can happen with dynamic entries and if the canine is construed as a threat, well, sht happens.

nah... the MSP answer is correct and several people have been through this.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2020, 04:46 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post

I talked to the guy whos actually going to approve my 77R, and i did speak to my lawyer too. Great for what the laywer says, but at the end of the day im not trying to get it to that point.
Old May 20th, 2020, 05:21 PM #6
Peace through strength

Peace through strength

Congrats on the expungement and pending purchase. Basically, if society trusts you enough to be on the street, you shouldn't have to go through hoops like an expungement.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Tags
77r, handgun permit, misdemeanor