• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Thank you all for your responses. I don't want to pay for this covid 19 prices but for starts will like something out of the box. I was thinking on an AR 9 (ammo maybe more accessible?) But still trying to figure it out. If anyone knows a nice LGS (not for price but treatment) that can suggest will be appreciated.

Sorry for the tardy response it’s been a very busy couple of days ... I’m just one data point, but 9mm has been selling at roughly 2x the speed of rifle ammo and the higher demand is making the price adjust upward.

I’ll be OOS in 9, before 556/223

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    All this 12.5” mid length talk that i’ve read here and elsewhere has me worried.

I’m building two 12.5” uppers and the one I bought in 6.8spc has a mid length gas system. I just ordered the gas block which was the last piece i needed for the 6.8spc. As soon as it comes in I’ll head out to the range and see how it works. :o

I think I have some 6.8 gauges out in Hagerstown. It’s been quite the build ;)

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Fulton Armory manufactures high-end AR-15s. Their factory is located in Savage, MD. Unfortunately, they don't have a brick and mortar showroom but you can browse their inventory online for complete rifles or build-your-own parts. And of course they can answer your questions about laws pertaining to AR-15 ownership in Maryland.

Would everyone consider Fulton Armory a higher end manufacturer?

Not throwing shade, just don't have any experience with their builds.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Would everyone consider Fulton Armory a higher end manufacturer?

Not throwing shade, just don't have any experience with their builds.
    I wouldn't. They are basic mil-spec with some different handrails. Nothing wrong with them, but certainly not high end.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    12.5 with carbine gas for 556 will be fine. I have a 12.5" 556 with carbine gas and it runs just fine.

I think the consensus is that you can run either mid or carbine length gas system on a 12.5" 5.56 barrel. It has been pointed out; a middy on a (5.56) 12.5" is no worse than a carbine length on a (5.56) 10.5" in terms of dwell time.

[EDIT] That being said, given a choice, I would go with a carbine length gas system in a 12.5" 5.56 barrel :)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I think the consensus is that you can run either mid or carbine length gas system on a 12.5" 5.56 barrel. It has been pointed out; a middy on a (5.56) 12.5" is no worse than a carbine length on a (5.56) 10.5" in terms of dwell time.

[EDIT] That being said, given a choice, I would go with a carbine length gas system in a 12.5" 5.56 barrel :)
    I prefer the extra dwell time from carbine gas on a 12.5" 556 due to the variances in ammo. Make it run on almost anything out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom