• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 19, 2013
    Nottingham
    I was perusing Buds and came across the Uberti 1873 in .357 with the 24.25" barrel. It has a capacity of 13 + 1 so wouldn't be able to have it shipped to a MD FFL. I noticed that Buds offers a "High Capacity Removal" service and was curious as to how they'd do this for tubular magazines. I started a chat with a Buds agent and asked do they add a plug to limit capacity, or do they even offer this for these types of rifles. She said "we can ship it without the magazine and you can buy a 10 round one" (I assume she meant the tube for the 18" barreled version).

Curious to see if anyone here has recently gone through this process and how it turned out - did they really remove the tube and ship without the spring, follower, etc.? Or just the tube? I hate to pay full price for an entire rifle but not receive all parts/have to buy additional parts to have a functional rifle.

I assume that I could purchase the 24.25" magazine tube out of state and bring in similar to detachable mags?

Any insight is appreciated. Cheers!

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    I thought that only was for .22 tubular magazines? Anything else the 10rd limit would apply?

Yup...extract from the statute:

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines -- Prohibited
    Universal Citation: MD Crim Law Code § 4-305 (2016)
    (a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to:

(1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; or

(2) a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State.

(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Yup...extract from the statute:

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines -- Prohibited
    Universal Citation: MD Crim Law Code § 4-305 (2016)
    (a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to:

(1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; or

(2) a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State.

(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

The title of the subsection is "Detachable magazines" The statute defines detachable magazines as follows:

(i) “Detachable magazine” means an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.

Of course, only semi-auto, center-fire rifles fall under the fixed magazine copycat rule.

Now, if there's a 22lr with a detachable high capacity tubular magazine, I don't know about it - but as I read it plainly, that's what it's talking about.

Jun 19, 2013
    Nottingham
    The title of the subsection is "Detachable magazines" The statute defines detachable magazines as follows:

Of course, only semi-auto, center-fire rifles fall under the fixed magazine copycat rule.

Now, if there's a 22lr with a detachable high capacity tubular magazine, I don't know about it - but as I read it plainly, that's what it's talking about.

I glanced over the Detachable part of the title. So @rseymorejr was correct- the 1873 lever in .357 is good to go in MD. Now I wonder if Buds will just flat out reject the sale since capacity is 13+1 regardless if it's a lever action.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Good luck with your > 10 round .223 in tubular mags.
    Where there's a will there's a way!
    50d9a12e25ff4752098d097bcb2586ed.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom