• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Looks like the original Power Belts. I know people who like the hollow point Power belts at short distances
    I never had good luck with Power belts (CVA wolf, CVA optima) at 100 yard accuracy and those two always did better with Sabots
    Hopefully, these are better.
    I"ve had good luck with the Federal Premium BOR Lock

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    I hope they do better and load easier than the copper minnie ball style they used to have. (Bought a crap ton on clearance to try, hated them and returned the unopened packs). Those sucked at loading.

I appreciate the companies trying to be innovative, but for me, the SST ML is the go to. Easy to load, plenty accurate. And devastating on deer.

2015 took a friend's son deer hunting to help him get his first deer. He tagged a big doe (high shoulder) and she dropped in tracks, let out a bleat and done. The rest of the herd stuck around and he wanted to see me shoot one. So with deer 30 yards away, carefully reloaded and picked one (really didn't want to take away from his first, but he insisted).. Quartering to me, tucked it behind shoulder and with the downward angle, it was brutal. It ran maybe 50yards and piled up. They don't run far when the exit hole looks like this.

Every deer I've shot with the SST has dropped within sight so unless they stop making them, why change.

Attachments

• IMG_20201216_092513813.jpg
      IMG_20201216_092513813.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 221

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Get some along with the other choices out there including minie's and patched round balls and take them to the range to see what works best in your gun with you shooting, and shoot like you would be shooting a deer no sand bags. When you know what gives you the best accuracy at the ranges you expect to shoot take it hunting and see if the terminal ballistics are up to your expectations. If not try your next best round.

Number 1 is shot placement so you need to shoot something you can hit the kill zone with every single time then work on refining it to get the fastest most humane results you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom