• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    What you see in the pic is a Jericho 941 FS45. I made a couple of mods before going to the range. First I installed a DPM recoil reduction spring. Second I added a +2 extension to the 10 round magazine. I also used another 10 round magazine. I meant to bring the original spring with me to the range but forgot to do so.

With the 10 round mag I only experience a slide fail to lock open once. With the extended magazine I seemed to experience some kind of misfeed /stovepipe or failure to load the round properly around the 3rd or 4th round fired. Not before and not after.

I know it sounds like the magazine may be the issue but I tend to lean towards the DPM spring. First, it is noticeably harder to rack the slide with this spring even after "breaking it in" - received instruction from DPM.

Anyone have any experience with this type of misfeed? I will follow up after next range trip with original recoil spring installed.

Attachments

• stovepipe.jpg
      stovepipe.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 306

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Always best to change only one thing at a time so you can ID the issue quickly.

Could be the recoil spring but I think it may be the mag extension. Did the extension come with a replacement spring to address the extra length? If not, may need an extra power spring for that mag now.

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    Always best to change only one thing at a time so you can ID the issue quickly.

Could be the recoil spring but I think it may be the mag extension. Did the extension come with a replacement spring to address the extra length? If not, may need an extra power spring for that mag now.

Yes - I know about 1 change at a time. If I hadn't forgotten the original recoil spring I could ahve tested that theory. And I did test that 1 change at a time using the non-extended mag. The mag extension is form henning and they do not recommend a mag spring change. Another extension vendor, cain arms does not recommend changing mag spring either.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Barring feedlip spreading or damage, live round stove pipes are usually inertia feeds. The gun recoils away from the heavy bullets compressing a weak spring with the top round slipping out of the mag as the pistol recoils back. OP replaced the mag floorplate and lost 2-3 coils of spring in the space. A full mag kept good tension on the spring. After 3-4 rounds are fired the ammo stack is light enough, tension is lost to allow slight spring compression from inertia. When more rounds are fired the reduced weight of the remaining ammo stack cannot overpower the mag spring during recoil.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Sounds like that was the first time you fired the gun. Why did you change anything until you experienced the functionality of the pistol? You also may want to check your shooting technique. Limp wristing is a classic reason for stovepipes. Every gun has its own shooting characteristics. What works with one may not be suitable for another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom