• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Yes, you can use conical’s in a sidelock You could use pellets in one too, but probably not very reliable with percussion caps even less so with a flintlock. I’d stick to loose powder for a sidelock.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    What is the twist on your gun? Inlines use 1:28 and are best for slugs (conicals) Round ball guns are 1:66 or very slow grooves. They don't stabilize a slug very well. some guns like Traditions and CVA's put out a bunch with 1:48 to do both

Like said, pellets are made for 209 primer ignition.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Heck , Conicals were invented back in sidelock days ,and were popular in semi- modern times , but before modern inlines were common .

As noted , twist rate is a variable . 1:66 - ish common for dedicated Round Ball guns , 1: 22- ish for dedicated heavy for cal Conicals , and inbeen of 36 to 48 was compromise ( common w/ sidelock T/C ) to work acceptably with light to medium for cal Conicals and RB .

Before Inlines totally took over , there were a couple of sidelocks specifically designed to be pellet compatible . But for most guns pellets were problematic .

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    777, Blackhorn, and Pyrodex are all decent black powder substitutes. Blackhorn is a 209 propellant (meaning it takes a hotter 209 primer spark to set it off) and is the only one that is truly non-corrosive IIRC. That said, you can use a Mag-Spark system for side-lock guns to set off 209 substitutes in non-inline guns: https://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html This helps with pelletized powders as well like IMR White Hots which are my choice for ML season.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have used conicals and even sabots in a 1:48 and 1:66 twist sidelock.
    1:48 did "OK"
    1:66 not so good.

Hornady I think it ismakes some pre lubed bulk conicals that work "OK" in a 50 cal. Easy to load , consistent, just not as accurate as a properly fit patch and ball.
    Again, something that is easy and can "get you started".
    Heck, I may have some 50 cal of those that again, if you want, I can gift to you.

BTW, make sure you have a nipple wrench and pic when EVER you go to the range.
    If you ever dry ball (load w/o powder), You make sure your load is all the way down, you pull the nipple, clear your channel with the pic or a pipe cleaner, and pour powder into the bolster there below the nipple. put the nipple back in and shoot the ball out. Just one way to clear the ball/load

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    777 is great stuff, most of them are. I like American Pioneer as I can buy it local. Pyrodex works, but it sucks to clean and it is more corrosive than black powder. I have a 1/2 pound you can have if you drive out here to get it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    777 is great stuff, most of them are. I like American Pioneer as I can buy it local. Pyrodex works, but it sucks to clean and it is more corrosive than black powder. I have a 1/2 pound you can have if you drive out here to get it.

Are you able to get 3F of the AP?
    AP 2 f was one of the first subs I got and the 2F granularity was more like 1F

I used it to break in the barrel of my Lyman Kit I built. Clean up although was not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I have AP FFF now and loading it in paper cartridges and yes, it looks like FF powder. I think the powder granulaes must have to be larger to get the proper burn rates to simulate BP, My assumption. I set the Lee Perfect powder measure up for 20 - 20.5 grains and slide the paper tube under and flick/tap and flick/tap and one charged. Worked great

It shoots fine out of the 1858 and I don't notice the difference. Their packaging says it burns "cleaner" and they even show it like bold on the packaging. I think its just as dirty as BP and don't even notice the difference. I need to work on oiling my cylinder between loads or pulling the cylinder and cleaning the pin. The pin stuck after 4 re loads. What i do like about it is the non-corrosive nature. I can just clean the gun with hot water to prevent it rusting drying. I don't have to worry about the powder rusting it. It is also cheaper than 777 and way cheaper than buck horn.

AP seems to be the only thing RSP can keep consistently on their shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom