22 short - what do you guys shoot it with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I can only think of 22lr revolver or bolt rifle? It isn't enough power to recycle semi-auto.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Marlin 39a myself. A friend set up a 10/22 for 22 short but never heard if it worked.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    My family shoots a ton of .22 short in bolt rifles and a revolver.

Savage Rascal
    CZ-455
    Ruger Wrangler

It's great for close range, low noise, low penetration target shooting.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I shot 22 shorts from my Henry Pump just to see how many it would hold (now I forget).
    Its interesting cause without thinking about it, I thought they were not going to be as loud. They were not. I forgot the brand (aguila? but these were something above 1000fps when I looked afterwards at the box)
    Back this fall when I had my hunting setback (now gone) I Shot a squirrel in a single shot bolt rifle with a 22 short then a 22 quiet. Short was noticeably louder. 22 quiet sounded like I dropped a 2x4 on the ground.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I shot 22 shorts from my Henry Pump just to see how many it would hold (now I forget).
    Its interesting cause without thinking about it, I thought they were not going to be as loud. They were not. I forgot the brand (aguila? but these were something above 1000fps when I looked afterwards at the box)
    Back this fall when I had my hunting setback (now gone) I Shot a squirrel in a single shot bolt rifle with a 22 short then a 22 quiet. Short was noticeably louder. 22 quiet sounded like I dropped a 2x4 on the ground.

CCI quiet is only 740ish fps. Aguila 22 short is 1,095 fps.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Out of my Marlin 39A the noise level is comparable to an air rifle. I could hear the hammer fall.

.22 short was the original rimfire cartridge, used in the "pitiful little Smith and Wessen seven shooter, which carried a ball like a homeopathic pill, and it took all seven to make a dose for an adult," as Mark Twain described the one he carried in 1861 in Roughing It.

Last edited:

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Walther made some rapid fire olympic style precision pistols that took .22 short only.

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    Ditto. My oldest daughter loves the Remington. Only gripe is it takes longer to drop them in than to shoot them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom