• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    9kOuiAv.jpg

Waited what seemed like a long time to get the new Quad Varmint out to the range today. Actually, it was only a couple of months between the date of purchase and finally getting it all set-up but, a new Sako in the safe, unfired, is like torture. It's like having an itch you just can't scratch, in a place that's just out of reach.

rYcPIKu.jpg

Weather conditions were about as good as they get for mid-March: 60 degrees with a light, intermittent breeze and 46% humidity. Clear blue skies. It's the kind of range day you only dare dream about in March, when it's usually in the low 40's and the wind is whipping and you'd rather be almost anywhere else in the world than at the range messing with a new rifle and scope.

I had kinda made up my mind to stick with what I knew when I made the trip back to Euro Optic for new glass last week. I wanted a good range of magnification but didn't really want to go all tacticool with raised, exposed windage and elevation turrets on a Sako Quad Varmint in a wood stock. This Minox ZE5.2 5-25x56 was a little over my budget but, the quality of the glass is absolutely stunning and Euro Optic had a killer close-out deal on it. The fact that it also came with low turrets was just an aesthetic bonus I wasn't expecting to get.

71Woy2c.jpg

So how did this set-up work? It usually takes me around 20-25 shots for a good 50 yard sight-in with a new .22 rifle but, this one holds the record for fewest shots ever needed: 10 total.

hDvIdP5.jpg

The first five shots with SK Standard Plus landed slightly above and to the right of the target. I adjusted a few clicks left and a few clicks...whoops! Huh? What does 'T' and 'H' mean? LOL I forgot that I had purchased a German scope. T is 'down' and 'H' is up. Thank God for smart phones, huh? It only took a few seconds of searching online to find the answer.

5jiLUdC.jpg

SK Standard Plus, 50 yards, 20 rounds. Five in each target.

8efs6PE.jpg

SK Rifle Match, 50 yards, 10 fouling rounds in center target, 5 rounds each in the rest.

gj2ffRP.jpg

Eley Tenex, 50 yards, 10 fouling rounds in center target, 5 rounds each in the rest.

sEPs9tK.jpg

Fiocchi Official 300, 50 yards, 10 fouling rounds in center target, 5 rounds each in the rest.

I don't know if that's typical performance for a new Quad Varmint but, I was impressed. With the exception of the Fiocchi (which only shoots good in my Ruger for some reason), it shot everything else pretty well. No feeding or extraction issues noted. I think this one just might be a keeper. ;)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Love the high end rifle and scope combination, makes a nod to old school design aesthetic while engineered without compromise. Based on your first targets, looks like it might be top gun in your 22LR precision rifle stable.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks everyone! This is my first Sako rifle since they were bought-out by Beretta a few years ago. It's nice to see that little has changed in terms of build quality and performance.

I'm looking forward to testing several more types of .22 ammo but, it'll be tough to beat SK Rifle Match and Eley Tenex. I'd like to get my hands on some CCI Standard Velocity to see how it performs. Next up are Wolf Match Extra and Eley Club. :party29:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I nearly blew-off going to the range today because it was so windy but I'm glad that I didn't. I needed to test the new 10 and 5 round mags I just ordered from Beretta plus, I got some new glasses that I also wanted to test.

The vision in my right eye is beginning to suck. My left eye, though, is as good as it was when I was 18 and I suspect that the cloudiness and fuzziness that has developed in my right eye during the last year or so is, most likely, a cataract in its early stages. With readers I still see out of it pretty good and today I stepped-down the magnification from 1.5x to 1.25x to shoot with an optic. Seemed to help. I was able to focus while aiming with somewhat less distortion but, an eye doctor appointment is definitely in the near future because I don't shoot lefthanded worth a fvck. Except pool, I shoot pool lefthanded for some reason. Come to think it, I also brush my teeth lefthanded. WTH.

bvA3iVr.jpg

So today was pretty nice. Sunny, 72 degrees, 48% humidity but, a pesky 10-15mph wind coming from the West threatened to make shooting groups more of a challenge than it usually is for me. I'll be the first to admit that I have a long way to go when it comes to rifle accuracy, especially compared to many of you whippersnappers with perfect vision and steady hands.

All shots taken at 50 yards, 16x magnification.

D1QqLXs.jpg

(Ran out of time before I had a chance to try the Eley/Remington Club Extra I just received from Tru Shot Gun Club.)

I bought a 500 round brick of Eley Team back in December of last year right before .22 ammo prices really went bonkers. Unfortunately, my Ruger American LRT didn't care for it at all and my Steyr Zephyr II only shoots it OK. I grabbed a box, along with a box of SK Rifle Match and a box of Eley/Remington Club Extra and headed to the range.

JdsX9SR.jpg

Eley Team - First 10 shots on a cold bore @ 50 yards. I was not expecting it to shoot quite as well as it did but, now I'm glad I didn't trade the remaining 400 rounds I had for something else.

xLAywtf.jpg

Eley Team, 5 shots each target @ 50 yards. Usually a swirling and unpredictable breeze gets on my nerves pretty fast but it was so mild today, I didn't really care. Considering that this stuff didn't shoot all that great in my other .22's, I was pleasantly surprised to see it shoot as well as it did.

So, the one thing I left at the house this time (it's always something) were 1" target stickers. I thought I had plenty in my range bag but, of course, I didn't. I had five rounds of Eley Team remaining after 45 rounds so I just tried to group them in the middle of the paper as best I could. :rolleyes:

lCx24zr.jpg

SK Rifle Match - this is the ammo that seems to shoot the best in all my .22 rifles so no surprise that it does for the Sako Quad Varmint, too. I tore-off a divider/border between target dot stickers just for a point of aim and tried to obliterate it with 10 shots in the middle. I came pretty close.

One thing I do know is that I've never owned any rifle I enjoy shooting as much as this one. The Quad Varmint just feels like a precision tool even in my hands.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great shooting. Lucky coincidence to see you and the Quad today - the rifle is even better looking in person. That SK Rifle Match is good stuff.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'm glad you're not shooting at me! :)

Did some yard work this afternoon, and a beautiful day to be doing most anything outside. And yeah, it was breezy all right.

Figuring "10 is an inch at 50" wind deflection as ball park, lots can happen with groups on a day like today. Yours happened pretty good there Tex! Judging from those targets in today's breezes, that combo with ammo it likes looks to have the makings to be something special.

Get that rig out on a still day, and you might be in for an even bigger treat!

Nice write up also! Good luck with that new rig!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks everyone. I'm still undecided about keeping it a dedicated .22 LR or taking advantage of its barrel interchangeability by adding a .22 WMR and .17 HMR into the mix. The main drawback is having to keep the scope mounted higher than usual because some clearance is needed to change barrels. If it remains a dedicated .22, I'll rethink the set-up with a 20 MOA rail and most likely switch to a set of lower rings.

https://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Item/1302

Decisions, decisions but, for now, I say if it ain't broke why fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom