• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Famous last MDS post words. Applies to guns, vehicles, bourbon, hand held radios, holsters, spouses, lobster rolls, streaming media services, and bourbon, as well as bourbon.

:lol:You are absolutely right..... I could go for some good lobster rolls now.

Think Eric Glesser said one issue with blade replacement is that they have to be fitted when manufactured, and the factories spread throughout the world have their own sources for steels, and their own equipment setup for whatever models they produce. The owners are pretty active in the knife community, and have done a lot of cool collaborations.
    They used to frown on users taking apart the knives, and were famous for gobs of red loc-tite on screws, but have gotten much easier to deal with, and are getting more in-line with the best makes in the industry. Ends up much easier to just replace a defective knife than to replace a blade. ZT and BM only produce from a single location in the US, and have custom shops to work on anything, so much easier. I would't neccesarily pass up Spyderco because of their warranty, it still covers defects and repairs, just not an inexpensive blade replacement whenever you choose. They do have a lot of good stuff, a ton of sprints and exclusives, and frequent discounted clearance models, I just stick to their $200 and less offerings, but that gives you most of the catalog, and a lot of great knives that are affordable enough to actually use, and some really great steels to play with.

You now have a respectable EDC rotation, i'll give it a month till you get the next one, you will be chasing sprint run drops in the next year.

I can understand not servicing all the knives from different countries. They should at least have a blade program for their Boulder, CO location. I didn't mean I would not buy any more Spydercos at all. I meant to say that if I accidentally broke the blade of my Para 3, I would not replace the entire knife. Now, I have never broken a blade that I can remember, so I dont think that will ever be an issue. But if I did, it would just be nice to know that I could have my knife fixed at a reasonable price instead of being forced to dish out another $165. I'm not one of those people who expect everything for free.

When ever they come back into stock and I have a bit of spare money, I do plan on getting one more Spyderco. I want a PM2. THEN Ill be done buying knives for a while..... honest. :lol2:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    :lol:You are absolutely right..... I could go for some good lobster rolls now.

I can understand not servicing all the knives from different countries. They should at least have a blade program for their Boulder, CO location. I didn't mean I would not buy any more Spydercos at all. I meant to say that if I accidentally broke the blade of my Para 3, I would not replace the entire knife. Now, I have never broken a blade that I can remember, so I dont think that will ever be an issue. But if I did, it would just be nice to know that I could have my knife fixed at a reasonable price instead of being forced to dish out another $165. I'm not one of those people who expect everything for free.

When ever they come back into stock and I have a bit of spare money, I do plan on getting one more Spyderco. I want a PM2. THEN Ill be done buying knives for a while..... honest. :lol2:

They should have a blade program for everything, although might be tough given the number of spring runs, and models they have. Where ZT might have 20 models, each with a single steel, BM maybe 50 with a couple gold class or -1 alternate steel. Spyderco probably has 100 models, and some like the PM2 probably came in a dozen different blade steels, so far more difficult to stock blades. It's one of the reasons I resist getting into their high end $200+ stuff. I have knives I seldom carry, but I don't have any safe queens, If I like a $500 folder enough to buy it, I'm going to carry it, if I really like it, I will carry it a lot. If you use a knife, you will dull or damage the blade, and if you want to keep it sharp you will wear the blade over time. I've had to send a few back for blades, my BM42 that I carried for years, and had to repair a broken tip, 20 years later sent it in, and they replaced the blade with better steel, and refreshed it to practically new. I use ZTs often, and have sent a couple for a new blade, same thing, practically a new knife for $30. Have an Emerson CQC15, cool knife, terrible low and thick grind with soft 154CM. I used it a lot, the edge got stupid thick after just a few sharpenings, they charged $80, but same result, new blade, and useable again.

Spyderco probably has more loyal enthusiasts than any other brand, the owners are on forums chatting frequently, and their designs are unique, well made, and extremely practical. I probably carry a Spyderco more than any other brand, and their thin flat grinds hold up to far more sharpening than the sabre grinds most other knives use. I like them well enough that I WOULD buy a new knife if I wore one out, and it's probably fair, but still, while their warranty and service is decent and fair, it isn't in the same league as the others. They have been coming around though, especially as Eric seems to be doing more to run the company as his father Sal seems to be enjoying time away from it more. They are producing far more sprints, making them easier to obtain, making knives easier to dissasemble for end users, and their warranty has improved quite a bit in the last few years. Hopefully they keep going in that direction.

Like I said, I'm a fan. You can find some great deals on the Spyderco facebook page and find what dealers are dropping what sprints. I have carried every one of these, have the Sage 5 in my pocket now. Probably the most practical EDC designs of any brand, and the PM2 is arguable their best. The sprints are kinda fun to get, dealers get exclusives with steel upgrades and exclusive colors for just a couple bucks more than the base models. Get a PM2, a sprint if you can snag it, but the base model is still good.
    20210203_130107.jpg

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Well, I got my 943 back from Benchmade warranty two days ago. Its nice to have it back. Its like the return of an old friend. Took about 3 weeks total. Not too bad considering the ridiculous shipping standards we have had lately. They fixed the spring, so I appreciate that. What I don't appreciate is the sharpening job, or should I say the lack of sharpening. Now, I don't care if they do or don't sharpen my blade really. But don't tell me on the invoice that you did when I can look at and feel the edge and know dang well you didn't touch it at all. Oh well. I didn't pay for that service so no real loss. While I'm ranting about the edge, let me toss my brand new 940 under the bus too. Who ever "sharpens" blades at Benchmade needs to stop pretending he knows what hes doing, pick up his broom, and start sweeping the floor again. I've attained better edges from one of those trashy little V carbide sharpeners that everyone has in their junk drawers. The 940 is the 4th brand new BM Ive owned and none of them came with much of an edge. Spyderco, Victorinox, and Buck all blow BM out of the water when it comes to finished edges. I wish I didnt love the 940/943 so much because I really dont like Benchmade as a company. Ok. Im done ranting.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yes, some of their Factory edges are pretty bad, have had better edges on -1 and exclusive models. They just use an 80grit belt grinder by hand, then strop on a cardboard wheel, probably all of 30 seconds total.
    Also not a fan of screws protruding through liners, really bad on newer 940s.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    The sharpening issue really annoys me. Nearly $200 and you cant sharpen my dang knife properly? Like I said before, I have infinitely better edges on a $50 Buck 110 or a $30 Victorinox. I knew about the screw protruding issue. I saw an example of it at Cabelas when I was looking at 940s. I bought mine from SMKW and got a good one as far as the screws are concerned.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've got one benchmade and it's lost a few screws. Is this a common issue for them?

Not in my experience. I have a handful, and never had a problem.

Send it back and they should fix it for free,.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom