• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I got 1000 armscore .224 fmj back in the fall at a shop in WV traveling through the west of MD/WV/VA

I worked up a load for it months ago and never got anything I was happy with it. I was short on 55fmj but loaded up several hundred anyway. I decided to break it out this weekend and had some xtreme 55fmj that came in last week cause I did not want to waste any more primers on it.

I did take them both to the range. I normally would shoot these for my bang steel loads but put them through a scoped AR.
    Same gun 50 yards

First is armscore
    f8ee2fb484d5706ebd5c7813ea7307c0.jpg

Now xtreme
    59f37f8f078f96285ed8c962ca02b6a2.jpg

So the goal this weekend was to figure out just why and maybe learn something.

I weighed about 20 rounds. Xtreme was all within 0.1gr of each other. Armscore was all over the place. 0.6gr spread. Then I looked at the shape. The OAL of the bullet varied as much as 0.020”!
    The xtreme variation was 0.003”

81567cc6906f3739eb1e51cccf92ad8c.jpg

I’ll be keeping these Armscore tucked away for the zombie apocalypse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I only shoot rifle bullets from green or yellow boxes. Red and black has let me down too much. I can't bring myself to even waste money of the "deals" anymore.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Try Hornady, best grouping 55gr FMJ in most every AR i've tried them in, can get 1MOA out of a couple rifles, but they shoot well in everything with twists from 1-7 to 1-12. Armscorp IMO is about the same as foreign manufactured pulled bullets, cheap as you can get, have played around with them, similar 4MOA groups. Xtreme and Berrys FMJ are OK, more consistent, more accurate, usually around 2MOA. I've had Hornady FMJs group close to lighter weight HPBT match bullets, they are really good, being there isn't a huge difference in price if you get the big 1k-6k bulk packs of Hornady. Usually have to go with something expensive like a 69gr SMK or 75gr A-max to get consistently better accuracy, and even then the rifle, position and shooter have to be capable of getting that accuracy out of those bullets.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    18 months ago I found some 147 grain Armscor 308/7.62 at the LGS. $10/20 rounds brass cased stuff. I bought 10 boxes

Brass looked nice and it was annealed, bullet seat depths were all over the place... Like .050 variance when measured across just one box :shocked3:

I only shoot iron sights or non magnified red dot as my range is only 100 yards anyways. so supreme accuracy is not expected or really a priority. 10 shots in a 4-6" circle @ 100 yards is my measure of 'good enough to drop someone' if the need ever arose.. Those rounds were more like 10-12" spread :o for the price I should have bought 100 more boxes and reworked them but alas I did not expect 2020 to occur the way it did.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    FYI,
    While on the subject of other bullets, before going to Xtreme, I had tried Hornady and it was not all that great for the .224 bullets I got. my "bang for the buck" before spending the $$ on a Sierra Match King is:
    Nosler Varmageddon 55 gr FB Tipped P/N 17240 (100ct) or P/N 17270 (250ct), I USED to readily find this at bass Pro or online for 16cents/pill
    It would do consistant 3/4" groups easily at 50 yards with .1gr variation in my powder throws. Same gun did 1"with the Xtreme and 1/2 " 10 round groups with SMK.
    I found to eek out maximum performance, I needed to spend so much time on individual powder measuring with the SMK, that using the Nosler I would use my Lyman bulk powder thrower and get decent performance.

If I found more of those Nosler bullets I'd have purchased a bunch. Hard to find now. And when I did find them over the winter, I did not want to pay the inflated prices electing to spend less time doing precision shooting. But man, these Armscore were a waste of $

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I got 1000 armscore .224 fmj back in the fall at a shop in WV traveling through the west of MD/WV/VA

I worked up a load for it months ago and never got anything I was happy with it. I was short on 55fmj but loaded up several hundred anyway. I decided to break it out this weekend and had some xtreme 55fmj that came in last week cause I did not want to waste any more primers on it.

I did take them both to the range. I normally would shoot these for my bang steel loads but put them through a scoped AR.
    Same gun 50 yards

So the goal this weekend was to figure out just why and maybe learn something.

I weighed about 20 rounds. Xtreme was all within 0.1gr of each other. Armscore was all over the place. 0.6gr spread. Then I looked at the shape. The OAL of the bullet varied as much as 0.020”!
    The xtreme variation was 0.003”

I’ll be keeping these Armscore tucked away for the zombie apocalypse.

Maybe they're taking bullet rejects from their ammo line and packaging them up in lots of 1000? I'm sure the zombies will appreciate the diversity in impacts.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    So green box = sierra? yellow = berger? Red = hornady? and black = nosler bullets?

I hope hornady's bulk 55gr sp w/c are decent shooters as I just bought some, lol!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Xtreme bullets are surprisingly good bullets for what they cost. But, in general, expecting a consistent 1-2MOA out of bulk 55gr is asking a lot.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The Xtreme bullets are surprisingly good bullets for what they cost. But, in general, expecting a consistent 1-2MOA out of bulk 55gr is asking a lot.

I"m expecting and happy with 2MOA which is what I get with Xtreme and unhappy with 4MOA with bulk plinking ammo.

What I get from my 223 reloads generally from a decent barrel
    Sierra SMK 3/4MOA
    Nosler Varminter 1-1.25MOA
    Xtreme 2MOA (bang steel)
    Armscore 4MOA (puke)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So green box = sierra? yellow = berger? Red = hornady? and black = nosler bullets?

I hope hornady's bulk 55gr sp w/c are decent shooters as I just bought some, lol!

Yellow can also be Speer.

I have had good luck with Speer bullets over the years.

The Speer 125 gr .30 TNT is the preferred light bullet for the CMP crowd. You can load them to cycle a Garand, but with a lot less recoil.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Nope, blew too many up mid flight. 6.5 CM, 30 " barrel. 147 ELD goes like this....x,10,10,x, poof, x, 10, poof, poof, x, 10 , poof...screw it. 600 yard prone shooting.

It seems like the wrong bullet for the velocity and twist. Odd for something in the ELD line. Deep rifling maybe?

"Yellow can also be Speer.

The Speer 125 gr .30 TNT is the preferred light bullet for the CMP crowd. You can load them to cycle a Garand, but with a lot less recoil.
    "

Ditto that, even in the pistol line.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    "Yellow can also be Speer.

Ditto that, even in the pistol line.

I wish they still made their .45 200 grain "flying ashtray" bullets. AWESOME bowling pin bullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom