• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHBrooks

Feb 27, 2013
    I am new to MDShooters.com and first time handgun owner. I have a Ruger Mark III.

Enjoy shooting the gun, but mags are a pain to load. Holding down the spring
    button is a pin in the thumb. Is there a simpler way to do this?

Did a Google search, but no luck. May not have been asking for the right thing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Did you purchase the pistol new? It should have a little plastic piece that pushes the button down while loading the magazine. If it didn't come with one, call Ruger, they may send you one.

CHBrooks

Feb 27, 2013
    Ruger Magazine Loading Tools

Guys: Thanks for the few suggestions. In addition to those mentioned above, I did a little more research and found a few more options.

As a service to the group, I've summarized all the loading tools I've found below (along with some of my observations about each option):
    Happy shooting.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Ultimate Cliploader /thread

It's the greatest thing ever for these guns. Dump in bullets, jiggle, stick a mag in, jiggle, shoot. Only problem is that it makes it REALLY easy to blow through a brick of ammo. Other issue, mine wore out after about 8k rounds (it developed little burrs inside the plastic feed area that caused the bullets to bind up. I shaved these down and it was good for another few K but then the ballbearing corroded. Not sure if that was my fault or the bearing). But for $25, I'm ok with that and have an extra that I take to the range...just for the guy who goes "wow! that's neat! where'd you get it?" I can sell him one lol.

ifindppl

Sep 13, 2012
    Montgomery County
    I bought the Ultimate Cliploader as well. Zombiehunter is right, though. On one occasion I used it to load up 5 mags and shot through a lot of ammo. But it is a very useful tool.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I will second the above posts- the McFadden Ultimate is fantastic.
    If I go to the range with my brother or son we can blow through a brick of ammo with a couple of Rugers in an hour.
    Something like the Mountings Solutions Plus Thumbsaver would be good for the field if you shoot a lot in those conditions.
    DocAitch

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I use these.

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    When I bought my Mack I back in the 70's the dealer gave me a neat little homemade clip made out of a hanger. I'm not sure where it is now, but it was rectangle bent around the magazine with a loop that slipped under the bottom. All I had to do was slide the button down and the clip held it in place. It worked really well. I have tried every gizmo out there and so far the little plastic thumb clip works best for me.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I use these.

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

Then you're doing it wrong ;)

Seriously, get the loader, you won't be disappointed. It allowed my arthritic 87 year old grandfather and MS suffering uncle to load mags for themselves, it's an amazing invention to be honest.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When I bought my Mack I back in the 70's the dealer gave me a neat little homemade clip made out of a hanger. I'm not sure where it is now, but it was rectangle bent around the magazine with a loop that slipped under the bottom. All I had to do was slide the button down and the clip held it in place. It worked really well. I have tried every gizmo out there and so far the little plastic thumb clip works best for me.
    Ancient history. Every little plastic latch device made since does at least as good as that one and nothing beats the McFadden UCL for speed loading. If you go to a big rimfire event, Steel Challenge, Ruger Rimfire, PSA Rimfire Challenge you will see that at least the top 50 shooters using Brownings or Rugers will be using one of those. In the field you don't but you also don't go into the field with 500 rounds of .22 you expect to shoot till it is gone also.

mdjohn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    Harford county
    I made my own loader, worked OK

but now I bought the ultimate loader off ebay for $20

worth it, if you're going to shoot some lead

loads a mag in 3 seconds

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics