• ...and so much more!
  • Mattjtowne

NRA Life supporter
    Feb 10, 2013
    About to order two.

Are the key buttons sturdy?

KangarooDog

May 28, 2013
    Everything about this safe is sturdy, including the keys of the simplex lock. The only gripes that I've heard raised about are that a) the possible number of combinations is too small, and b) pistols should not be stored in foam-lined boxes anyway because of the possibility of rust forming on the guns due to the condensation of trapped moisture. It is true that there are only about 1,000 possible combinations, and that it only takes about 15-20 minutes to run through the entire list to crack the lock. However, this safe is not meant to keep out determined criminals. It is meant to deter young children and common thieves while still allowing for easy access. And as far as rusting goes, we have lived in an extremely wet part of the Pacific Northwest and with proper maintenance, none of our pistols had any problems with rust (stainless, Bruniton, or blued).

And you can't beat the reliability and speed of a mechanical simplex lock...

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Got email OOS, back ordered - estimated late June will advise.:sad20:

Got an email yesterday from Dee at A.G. English saying they are back in and wanting to know if I still wanted my order processed. I said yes, but then asked her to switch it to a "Auto Pistol Safe" and she said no problem that it will be shipped in a day or two! Great follow up on their part! :)

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Ordered today and got email said it would be shipped within 24 hours of my credit card being approved.

ISBN

Oct 11, 2012
    Rockville
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this box as airtight as possible (to keep moisture out)? I put some weather stripping for the front and side but is at a loss on how to best handle the hinges in the back. Thanks.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this box as airtight as possible (to keep moisture out)? I put some weather stripping for the front and side but is at a loss on how to best handle the hinges in the back. Thanks.

*****Honestly, just put it in another (airtight) box if you need for it to be airtight. That thing leaks like a sieve. I have a couple of 40 gram silica gel packets in mine and recharge them whenever needed. If you go overboard with the weatherstripping - depending upon where you put it you might end up making it a bit harder to open your case.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN

Without the silica packs you are just as likely to lock the moisture in as out if air tight.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I put some weather stripping for the front and side but is at a loss on how to best handle the hinges in the back. Thanks.

If you did that, make SURE you push down hard on the door when locking and unlocking it. Otherwise, the "bolt-bind" caused by the weatherstripping pushing out on the door will likely cause the Simplex lock to prematurely fail.

It's not intended to be "weatherproof". It's a locking box, designed to keep PEOPLE out. Nothing more.

Why, if I may ask, do you need it to be weatherproof?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Got an email yesterday from Dee at A.G. English saying they are back in and wanting to know if I still wanted my order processed. I said yes, but then asked her to switch it to a "Auto Pistol Safe" and she said no problem that it will be shipped in a day or two! Great follow up on their part! :)

The "auto pistol safe" came yesterday. Its smaller than the pistol box. If anyone is interested in the size, it will easily handle compacts, mid-size Sigs (228 and the like) but not full size 1911s - maybe compact/carry 1911s? Four (4) thru bolts through the floor and it isn't going anywhere.

ISBN

Oct 11, 2012
    Rockville
    If you did that, make SURE you push down hard on the door when locking and unlocking it. Otherwise, the "bolt-bind" caused by the weatherstripping pushing out on the door will likely cause the Simplex lock to prematurely fail.

It's not intended to be "weatherproof". It's a locking box, designed to keep PEOPLE out. Nothing more.

Why, if I may ask, do you need it to be weatherproof?

Thanks everyone for chiming in. It is located near a shower and the humidity fluctuates daily. I have three 40 gram silica packs and they keep the humidity at bay but have to recharge frequently. Thanks for the tips on "bolt-bind".

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Better than normal biometric?

There is no single perfect lock for a handgun lockbox.

You have to choose your poison. Biometrics and other electronic locks mail fail or run out of batteries rendering them unusable. Some also generate light or audible sounds that could give away your surprise or position to an intruder.

Simplex locks are relatively easily "cracked" by a determined attacker with enough time, but their failure rate is very low. They also do not generate light or noise so as to not give away your position to an intruder.

Pick your poison.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Okay. I'll bite...

How come?
    :)

****Mebbe he likes buttons? Mebbe he feels having an additional button will provide more security by requiring more guesses to figure out the code. Mebbe the extra button will make the thing intimidating enough that a potential robber would leave it alone and not simply walk off with it if it isn't bolted down.. :innocent0

I have several of those pistol safes and they are much more secure than the cheapie Stack-On portable safe that my neighbor dropped (locked...) and the thing opened up... That did not inspire confidence in its security... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom