• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jarretf

Mar 5, 2011
    Hello all... First post to MD Shooters, thanks for all the great information!

Anyway, I just got my NFA trust set up on paper, notarized an all. I have seen conflicting information about what the MD law is on obtaining a suppressor. Originally, it looked like Flash Suppressors were going to be banned from sale after October 1, 2013. With the long wait time, to get approved through ATF, I am looking at after that date to be able to take possession. Does this mean I am too late to make the purchase?

By the way, as a side note, I just tried to set up a checking account in my trust's name and Bank of America actually turned it down! They would not give me a reason other than after their legal team reviewed it, they denied the account. It seemed like they were aware of what it was and I went through a lawyer to write the document, so I know it was proper. Looks like I will be looking for a new bank for all my accounts. Any suggestions?

But the taking possession of the suppressor after October 1 due to the long wait time is of my biggest concern.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

bwags123

Jun 23, 2010
    Parsonsburg
    Suppressors will not be banned in the new law. So that you wont have to worry about. Even if they were as long as you have a proof of purchase date before oct 1st you are good. As for the bank of america they turned you down bc they are anti 2a. I think there was a thread in here not long ago talking about the same issue with them. You will have to use another bank. Im on the easten shore and used the farmers bank

jarretf

Mar 5, 2011
    Great, thanks! Threaded barrels though? I am still waiting on return for a Sig P250 with a threaded barrel that I bought on 2/23.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    When I set up my account with BB&T in Frederick, the lady thought it was the coolest thing that average Joes could own suppressors and full auto's.

We talked more about guns than banking.

Afdiesel

Mar 7, 2013
    Middletown
    Middletown valley bank will do your account. Their checking is free with a $100 balance. The manager said that I was the only NFA trust account in their system, that's been two months and six transactions ago and all has been well.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Suntrust Will Do A Trust account,But set it up as Personnal rather than Business that way there is no monthly chg as Long as the Bal is 500.00 or 1 direct deposit a month.Their no chg previous policy has changed! I just closed and Reopened a new one Today here in Florida today.

namelessname120

Jul 6, 2011
    Let me get this straight, there is NO ban on suppressors or threaded barrel only sbr's? So can still apply for one and get it slightly after October (due to the wait time)?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Let me get this straight, there is NO ban on suppressors or threaded barrel only sbr's? So can still apply for one and get it slightly after October (due to the wait time)?

No ban on suppressors or threaded barrels, and if you act now, they'll even through in a free toaster. ;)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

SBR's are unknown. It looks like they are probably banned, but can't say for sure.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    SBR's are unknown. It looks like they are probably banned, but can't say for sure.

AOW's are perfectly fine however... So, what's to worry about... :) Pin that 6" suppressor to your 10" barrel, and viola, no SBR.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    I used PNC bank. Free checking account in the name of the trust and I only keep around a 100 bucks in it until I need more for a purchase.

cougar7890

Oct 2, 2008
    Suppressors will not be banned in the new law. So that you wont have to worry about. Even if they were as long as you have a proof of purchase date before oct 1st you are good. As for the bank of america they turned you down bc they are anti 2a. I think there was a thread in here not long ago talking about the same issue with them. You will have to use another bank. Im on the easten shore and used the farmers bank

interesting.. I went to BoA and they notarized my trust and opened an account for me. I didn't know they were anti 2a though.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Did not know you needed an account for a trust. Have done several NFA items and all went through. Do I need an account for my trust?

Dave

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    interesting.. I went to BoA and they notarized my trust and opened an account for me. I didn't know they were anti 2a though.

Same here. My NFA Trust account (named as such) was opened at BoA with no issues (me and the bank manager even discussed what it was for) and they took a copy of the trust for legal review.

I have heard since that they are anti 2A (per the thread here). But it has not been my experience. All my online purchases (firearms/ammo/etc.) are done through a BoA debit card tied to a dedicated account. No problems there either.

Still, I'm thinking of moving to a local bank anyway.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Why do you need a checking account for a trust?

I'm not sure there's a real "need" for one. It's just another way of doing it. I opened it to initially fund the trust ($210) and use the account to pay for all the NFA items I have.

IIRC, I did it at the suggestion of my trust attorney. Not hard to do, so why not? As far as I know the BATF won't care where the $$ comes from, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom