what are some good unregulated ar like rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redman301

Mar 5, 2013
    Im lookin to get a ar or ar like rifle im 19 so it cant be regulated. right now im between a hbar or a ruger mini 14 and buy an after market stock. im leaning towards the mini 14. what are some other guns i could get?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    AR10
    SCAR
    Tavor
    AR HBAR
    FN PS90
    FN FS2000
    ACR
    Mini14/30/6.8
    Dedicated9mm AR
    Just right carbines
    Keltec rifles
    ARAK
    Robinson Arms rifles

^ This ^

Plus these .223 alternatives:

Czechpoint Vz.58 .223, Not an AK, striker fired 0 compatible parts
    SR-556 <- Not an AR-15, Piston Driven
    SIG 516 <- Not an AR-15, Piston Driven
    SIG-556 <- Not a 551/550
    HK SL8/SL8-1 <- Not a banned HK
    Benelli MR1 <- Who knows WTF this was derived from.

Just off the top of my head.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Im lookin to get a ar or ar like rifle im 19 so it cant be regulated. right now im between a hbar or a ruger mini 14 and buy an after market stock. im leaning towards the mini 14. what are some other guns i could get?

Let's discuss briefly a few things.

0. Intended Use!
    1. Budget? What is your budget!
    2. Are you only considering .223 caliber?
    3. Aftermarket accessories!

First, the thing you need to decide is your intended use? Do you want to shoot competitions at some point? Are you planning on running multiple calibers? Do you want optics?

I would argue that the AR-15 HBAR gives you the most long term flexibility, accuracy, and available accessories. The HBAR AR-15 can be used for CMP shooting, the Mini-14, can't. The AR-15 can be adapted (nearly instantly) to a wide range of calibers, only by swapping the upper receiver. Finally, the AR integrates optics (and even iron sights) in a manner that the stock Mini-14 will never match.

The Ruger Mini-14 gives you excellent bang for the buck, but limited flexibility, fewer available options with regard to accessories, and less accuracy out of the box. It is also a very lightweight practical defensive rifle out of the box with high reliability with all sorts of ammo. Hanging a bunch of tacticool stuff off of a Mini-14 basically defeats the inherent advantages of the platform.

You might consider other alternatives as noted above, there are quite a few, think about your envisioned use. Remember, not all Mini-14's were created equal, nor are all AR-15's created equal. There is much more to this than just picking a platform.

Mark

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I would argue that the AR-15 HBAR gives you the most long term flexibility, accuracy, and available accessories. The AR-15 can be adapted (nearly instantly) to a wide range of calibers, only by swapping the upper receiver.

Agree with all that was said and the recommendations. However, since he is buying an HBAR at 19, can he legally swap upper receivers for a new caliber (or lighter profile barrel) at some later point and not create a banned rifle after SB 261? Would it be problematic for him to possess a banned configuration at age 19 / 20 or is it all about the initial purchase?

Might argue for one of the fully unregulated rifles/carbines.

redman301

Mar 5, 2013
    wow didnt realize all those wernt regulated.
    i plan to use it mostly as a defense and target gun so defiantly want optics an i know the mini 14 isnt know for being a tack drive but thats where budget comes in i dont want to spend more then 1100 but for that right gun i could maybe go 1400.
    and im not dead set on 223 but it has the range im lookin for.
    as for accessories im just want 3 things pistol grip or thumbhole stock, scope and a foregrip i know id be a whole lot happier with an ar but idk if i want to spend that much doe.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    ^ This ^

Plus these .223 alternatives:

Czechpoint Vz.58 .223, Not an AK, striker fired 0 compatible parts
    SR-556 <- Not an AR-15, Piston Driven
    SIG 516 <- Not an AR-15, Piston Driven
    SIG-556 <- Not a 551/550
    HK SL8/SL8-1 <- Not a banned HK
    Benelli MR1 <- Who knows WTF this was derived from.

Just off the top of my head.

A Benelli MR1 is what you get when you put a Benelli M4 in really really hot water. :D

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Agree with all that was said and the recommendations. However, since he is buying an HBAR at 19, can he legally swap upper receivers for a new caliber (or lighter profile barrel) at some later point and not create a banned rifle after SB 261? Would it be problematic for him to possess a banned configuration at age 19 / 20 or is it all about the initial purchase?

Might argue for one of the fully unregulated rifles/carbines.

There is some argument regarding that and there are two camps. So it really will depend on the "ruling" from those above.

Option 1. - The rifle receiver is the "assault weapon" camp. If this is true, then he will be able to slap any upper on it with impunity after the ban provided he owned the firearm before the ban.

Option 2. - The rifle receiver is NOT the assault weapon camp. If this is true, unless it was previously in a regulated/banned configuration he cannot create an assault weapon from a weapon that has never been possessed legally prior to the ban on "SB281 assault weapons" (which his is not allowed to legally possess before his 21st birthday).

I am of the opinion that option 2 is where he would fall, especially since the state could prove that he could not legally possess the banned weapon prior to Oct 1. because he was underage. So that seems like game over... it would have to remain in a non-banned configuration (whatever that means precisely is also up for considerable debate)!

Mark

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    wow didnt realize all those wernt regulated.
    i plan to use it mostly as a defense and target gun so defiantly want optics an i know the mini 14 isnt know for being a tack drive but thats where budget comes in i dont want to spend more then 1100 but for that right gun i could maybe go 1400.
    and im not dead set on 223 but it has the range im lookin for.
    as for accessories im just want 3 things pistol grip or thumbhole stock, scope and a foregrip i know id be a whole lot happier with an ar but idk if i want to spend that much doe.

We didn't even cover the extensive numbers of weapons in .308, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, etc. Don't apologize for the Mini-14, I took mine home today!!! Was overpriced (still under $1000 even in Guam), but I wanted it... So, I picked it up. Actually the receiver says "ranch rifle" so it's not a Mini-14 I guess. Anyway, no such thing as a regulated firearm in Guam, but talk about a major PITA process to get.

I guess if you want something with optics, that's going to be a good defensive weapon and a lot of fun at the range you could do worse than the Mini-14! Remember, the new Mini's are significantly more accurate than their predecessors. Like between 2-3 MOA with commercial ammo, which is seriously not bad. You lose out on having a chrome lined barrel, but that's a small issue at most with non-corrosive ammo and regular cleaning.

If you get the Mini-14, you can have multiple configurations... you can have the light handy little wood stock, then you could also place it in a heavier purpose made stock like the Troy MCS or the SAGE Mini-14 stock to give it that EBR look/feel. (I plan to try either the Troy or Sage stock out on mine and convert it to look a little more like one of my M1A's below.

Attachments

• DSCN0099.jpg
      DSCN0099.jpg
      31.9 KB · Views: 415
    • IMAG0091.jpg
      IMAG0091.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 404
    • attachment-2.jpeg
      attachment-2.jpeg
      35.1 KB · Views: 393

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I would argue that the AR-15 HBAR gives you the most long term flexibility, accuracy, and available accessories.

^^^ This...

After the AR15 I would take a look at the AR10, SCAR, and SIG551.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Have owned a few mini-14s. The newer ones are definately more accurate, still not tack drivers but noticable improvement after Ruger retooled line and changed barrel design. The "Ranch Rifle" is a mini-14, it is what they call it more or less after retooling. You can tell diference by looking at barrel. Newer one, the barrel is thicker at base and tapers down. Older mini's diameter is constant. I think serial number for newer is greater than 158XXX. That data is on web.

My tack driver is Stag AR with 1:9 twist :)

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    This piqued my interest.

Seriously, WTF is a Benelli MR1 derived from?
    I've wondered about it for a while now.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Seriously, WTF is a Benelli MR1 derived from?
    I've wondered about it for a while now.
    The MR1 is also known as the Beretta RX4. It uses the same ARGO gas system that the Benelli M4 uses. Interesting gun, but not a lot of uptake due to the proprietary furniture and issues with M2 pmags.

IIRC, a member here has the full line of PX4/CX4/RX4/TX4 guns, it's quite a picture.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    supposedly the mr1 is a pretty accurate and smooth shooting thing, ergos and controls are, well they take time to get comfortable with...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The MR1 has somewhat more uptake in some ban states; it's too new to be a named rifle, it comes in a feature-less version, and it takes AR-15 mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom