• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I'm looking for a local MD gunsmith with experience upgrading a Beretta CX4 with the full suite of Sierra Papa parts:
    Stainless steel hammer replacement
    Adjustable aluminum trigger
    Reduced power hammer spring
    Steel Recoil Spring Guide Rod
    "Bolt to Recoil Spring" Link
    High Durability recoil buffer pad

I don't know if it's better to order the parts myself and provide them, or if its somehow better for the smith to handle it. I'm interested in how long it takes, if there are any legal ramifications such as 922(r) (would this allow for a suppressor?), and obviously, how much it would cost. ALso somehwat interested in threading the barrel and what that would take from a regulatory perspective.

Thanks in advance for any info.

chrisflhtc

Jan 28, 2010
    Hagerstown
    Order them yourself they are not difficult to install there are several good vids on utube. It took me about twenty minuets I went slow and double checked everything. The parts made a significant difference.
    Chris

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    20 minutes huh... just finished, took me more like 90.. plus another 30 due to sheer stupidity (didn't properly re-attached the bolt release lever - making charging the bolt very difficult).

In any case, while harder for a novice than I had hoped for, it's doable, and I now have a much better understanding of how the carbine works. Thanks for encouraging the DIY approach!

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    20 minutes huh... just finished, took me more like 90.. plus another 30 due to sheer stupidity (didn't properly re-attached the bolt release lever - making charging the bolt very difficult).

In any case, while harder for a novice than I had hoped for, it's doable, and I now have a much better understanding of how the carbine works. Thanks for encouraging the DIY approach!

BMassBMore, are you happy with the new trigger action? Was it worth the price?

7A38

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I'm also curious as well if it is worth the upgrade. I actually don't mind the stock trigger on mine, but may be interested if it is worth the time and money.

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I'll let you know once I get it out to the range (trying to wrap up at work now so I can possibly go tonight).

I didn't think the stock trigger was "bad", but there was a lot of slack. That slack is now 95% gone. One of my primary reasons for the upgrade was durability/reliability.

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    Just wanted to post an update for any who might be interested. Apparently Beretta has slightly changed their specs with newer CX4s, causing failure to fully cock the hammer after firing a round with the SP parts installed. SierraPapa now has my trigger housing and is inspecting, testing, and altering their components. See full announcement at their site, sierrapapacx4.com

I will update again once I receive my trigger housing back with new parts.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I'll let you know once I get it out to the range (trying to wrap up at work now so I can possibly go tonight).

I didn't think the stock trigger was "bad", but there was a lot of slack. That slack is now 95% gone. One of my primary reasons for the upgrade was durability/reliability.

Mine was certainly worth the upgrade. I still like my 9mm AR more but to get the same compactness, you would need to sbr it.

I also reprofiled my safety button's detent bump so it would engage and disengage more like a rifle or shotgun. It took way too much effort to get that thing pushed either way.

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    Just wanted to post an update for any who might be interested. Apparently Beretta has slightly changed their specs with newer CX4s, causing failure to fully cock the hammer after firing a round with the SP parts installed. SierraPapa now has my trigger housing and is inspecting, testing, and altering their components. See full announcement at their site, sierrapapacx4.com

I will update again once I receive my trigger housing back with new parts.

It took longer than I expected, but Brian and Annette from Sierra Papa were great to deal with. I now have metal trigger, hammer, guide rod, and sear. 240 rounds so far with the new parts, and its functioning flawlessly, and with a much improved trigger feel.

Overall, I'm pleased with the purchase.

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    Just wanted to add one final update to this thread. almost 2 years later, and approx 1800 additional rounds through the CX4, and not a single issue. I'm very pleased with both my Beretta, and with the Sierra Papa parts. What a fun little gun to shoot!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I bought one around the same time and was going to do the SP parts also but could not find that many clubs that allowed them, especially in matches like they do now. So I sold it. Now I am in the process of building an AR in 9mm in 9mm for PCC allowed events.

shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    It appears that they don't just sell you the trigger/hammer parts anymore and they are also not available at Brownells now either. You have to send your CX4 lower into them to them and Sierra Pappa will install and send back.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have a Beretta CX4 and I'd like to:
    A)buy SierraPapa's recoil spring guide rod & buffer and install it myself
    B)send the trigger group to SierraPapa be upgraded.

For those of you that have done either mod are you happy with the results?

I didn't know exactly how the CX4 was built before I bought it and I just HATE plastic in those areas of my guns. :)

I made the same mistake and bought a Beretta 92FS that was full of plastic parts. So I had a gunsmith add the metal parts kit (sold by Beretta) to get rid of all the plastic parts. :sad20:

DaftPict

Aug 20, 2012
    Escaped to Hedgesville WV
    I have a Beretta CX4 and I'd like to:
    A)buy SierraPapa's recoil spring guide rod & buffer and install it myself
    B)send the trigger group to SierraPapa be upgraded.

For those of you that have done either mod are you happy with the results?

I didn't know exactly how the CX4 was built before I bought it and I just HATE plastic in those areas of my guns. :)

I made the same mistake and bought a Beretta 92FS that was full of plastic parts. So I had a gunsmith add the metal parts kit (sold by Beretta) to get rid of all the plastic parts. :sad20:

Yes did both upgrades and I've been very happy with the trigger upgrade. Never had an issue with the guide rod but like you I feel that metal is better than plastic for long term use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I sent the guide rod and trigger assemblies to SierraPapa a week ago via FedEx, insured.
    FedEx sent me a status Saturday that the package was "On FedEx vehicle for delivery".
    With no delivery as of yesterday, I called FedEx for a trace and they said the package was taken off the delivery truck for some unknown reason. :sad20:
    Story at 11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom