• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    So looking at getting a bike for some exercise have a few questions. What brand should i be looking at so far i have looked at some trek and giant bikes. I was set on a comfort bike but felt like an old man the mountain bikes were not as comfy but couldn't i upgrade. The saddle?
    So far i am focused in on a 2012 trek marlin 29 er or a 2013 trek shift 4 anyone with any input would be great.

Code

Jun 11, 2013
    Sykesville
    Trek is a great bike with a great resale. The saddle like you said can be easily swapped.... Same with the bars if need be.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Don't forget Specialized and Cannondale. I work for a shop in Newark, DE that sells both and both are very nice.

I currently ride a Jamis Dragon Race (bought before working at this current shop).

As for the saddle goes, try it out for several rides. Also keep in mind that a pair of cycling shorts (you can get baggies) will go further to helping in comfort than a new saddle.

Also, since it sounds like you haven't been on a bike for a while, you are going to have some soreness no matter what kind of seat you use.

Check out the Cannondale Quick or Quick CX, or the Specialized Sirrus and Crosstrail. For 29er mountain bikes, look at the C-dale Trail 5 and the Specialized Rockhopper 29er.

Just keep looking around till you find something you like that works/fits and that is in your budget range.

Don't forget to add things like a helmet, spare tubes, pump ect to your budget.

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    My wife and I do a lot of biking. Basically go for comfort. Get a good size seat, not one of those seats that looks like its going to ride up you know where. For handle bars, make sure you don't have to lean over too far. Go to a couple of bike shops and test bikes out.

big pimpin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 7, 2012
    Eastern Shore MD
    Cannondale is awesome. I love mine. It's a mountain bike but I put bontrager street tires on them and its great

A gel seat is a must. Padded shorts recommended also

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    If you're planning on riding on the road and you go with a mountain bike, I would highly recommend swapping out the knobby tires for some 1.5" slicks. Those knobs just sap energy and make a racket. Also keep your tire pressure up on the higher end of the recommended range to decrease rolling resistance.

You should go to a shop that will fit a bike to you. I would be open to a range of brands because they are all a little different in their geometries. Go with the bike in your price range that is most comfortable to you.

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    I have the Trek Marlin 29er and its a pretty good bike. Especially for beginners or people that aren't going hog wild on the trails. The stock mechanical brakes are adicuat but I upgraded to some Avid BB7's for about $60. Other than that its a strong bike. No problems thus far.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    vy7equ7e.jpg

I went with a trek GF series as I had owned one for years before trek bought his line. Solid bike, I got the slicks put on and keep the offroad tires inside for special occasions. The bike rides great on the road and is plenty of bike for my purposes. The lock out shock for road riding is key and I have been pleased.

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have had one of these for a couple of years and I'm very happy with it. It has an 8 speed internal gear hub; I hate dealing with derailleurs. I did upgrade with a Brooks leather saddle. Here's the website link.

Attachments

• Bikepic.jpg
      Bikepic.jpg
      67.4 KB · Views: 299

Code

Jun 11, 2013
    Sykesville
    Really should check out a store. A lot is gonna be based upon where you wanna ride and type of riding. Mountain bike, downhill, paved/ gravel trails like the c&o or street. Just like a gun, try it before ya buy if possible to make sure it not only fits your needs but you. ;)

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    What kind of surfaces are you planning to ride on? Unless you plan on hitting some serious single-track, a hybrid bike will probably provide the best balance of comfort, speed, and fun. If you want something that will go a little faster, you can get a cyclocross bike, but those will probably cost a bit more than what you're looking at.

I've got a Cannondale cyclocross bike and it handles gravel, dirt, and snow just fine and is also more than capable of long rides on the road or paved trails. I even took it out and did some singletrack one time. I didn't hurt myself or the bike, but I probably won't do it again.

Once again, unless you're planning on doing some serious mountain biking, I would recommend something besides a mountain bike. My wife has a Cannondale Quick 4 (hybrid) and she absolutely loves it. Comfortable ride but it doesn't look like an old person bike and it can handle pretty much any surface she plans to ride on.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
      Bike.jpg
      124.1 KB · Views: 273

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    If you're planning on riding on the road and you go with a mountain bike, I would highly recommend swapping out the knobby tires for some 1.5" slicks. Those knobs just sap energy and make a racket. Also keep your tire pressure up on the higher end of the recommended range to decrease rolling resistance.

You should go to a shop that will fit a bike to you. I would be open to a range of brands because they are all a little different in their geometries. Go with the bike in your price range that is most comfortable to you.

:thumbsup:

Bike price point increases have higher quality components, chains, derailleurs, wheels, etc. Those are easy to replace, so many low priced bikes will have the same frame as one a little more expensive. You can get good use out of a bike with lesser components and upgrade them as needed if you like the sport.

zaphod07

Oct 16, 2011
    Around NAS PAX
    I agree with ofofhy go to a reputable bike shop have them do a bike fit. Some places charge for that service but will put that money towards the purchase price of a new bike. Also a 29er is a good way to go, a hardtail 29er has the feel of a fullsuspension bike with 2-3 inches of travel over bumps.

Hambone

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    I went through this same process about a year ago. Like the OP I felt like an old man on a comfort bike, and a mountain bike was not ideal, as most of my riding is on the cities paved roads. I went in to Race Pace Bicycles in Federal Hill and they got me set up on a Trek hybrid bike. They listened to what I was looking for, fit me to a bike, and answered the various questions I had. I would highly recommend talking to a local bike shop and developing some type of a relationship with them. You will need them down the road for service and maintenance of your new bike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom