• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcpuskar

Jul 15, 2013
    Forest Hill, MD
    I am looking to buy and survival type backpack rifle. So far I believe the Ruger 10/22 takedown is the best. However, I also have seen, but not shot the Henry Survival rifle Ar7 which is $100 less than the ruger. Any other suggestions? Thought on the Henry as far as reliability and accuracy.....I know the Ar7 has no front stock which I think may be a bit awkward to shoot.
    The takedown Ruger is really nice at a reasonable price and will most likely be my choice. I just want to make sure I didn't overlook any other makes that are worth looking into.

Thanks,

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its a tough one, especially without a CCW option.

In general I would say KelTec Sub2000, lighter and is flat so its easier to pack than the AR7 and Ruger 10/22 take-down.

The Springfield M6's were great guns but the current running price for one ($600!) has outstripped its value. Wish someone would remake.

If you can live with a minimum length rifle a Rossi 92 in .357 16" is manageable and Winchester made a short run of Model 92's in 20" takedown but they are pricey (would really really like one).

I have been looking but havent found an imported one for the Chiappa 92 takedown, they arent cheap but they were supposed to offer takedowns in 16" through 26" barrels. The 16" would be about perfect.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Rossi matched pair. It packs down in a small case and you have 22 and a shotgun barrel that can use shot or slugs. For survival it is a great package. Defense is another story.

jcpuskar

Jul 15, 2013
    Forest Hill, MD
    Its a tough one, especially without a CCW option.

In general I would say KelTec Sub2000, lighter and is flat so its easier to pack than the AR7 and Ruger 10/22 take-down.

The Springfield M6's were great guns but the current running price for one ($600!) has outstripped its value. Wish someone would remake.

If you can live with a minimum length rifle a Rossi 92 in .357 16" is manageable and Winchester made a short run of Model 92's in 20" takedown but they are pricey (would really really like one).

I have been looking but havent found an imported one for the Chiappa 92 takedown, they arent cheap but they were supposed to offer takedowns in 16" through 26" barrels. The 16" would be about perfect.

Great info! I will have to look at some of these. I really want a takedown not a full length rifle. I also want to stay under $500 max, but would prefer to stay under $400 which the Ruger is only $359.

jcpuskar

Jul 15, 2013
    Forest Hill, MD
    Rossi matched pair. It packs down in a small case and you have 22 and a shotgun barrel that can use shot or slugs. For survival it is a great package. Defense is another story.

I know defense is definitely a consideration in a survival situation, but I am really just looking for a takedown for survival hunting and to occasionally use to practice target shooting.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I know defense is definitely a consideration in a survival situation, but I am really just looking for a takedown for survival hunting and to occasionally use to practice target shooting.

The Henry Survival rifle Ar7 is a great choice for survival - especially the fact that it is enclosed in a water-tight, floating, container. That said, from everything I've heard, shooting it is far from pleasurable. The 10/22 Takedown has great fit and accuracy, and is reasonably comfortable for anyone to shoot; the Henry lacks all three of these components.

As such, the Henry will probably be better for short-term wilderness survival/emergency situation that you weren't prepared for. The 10/22 Takedown is overall the better gun and great if you were able to put in some prep-work before your emergency (and you'll actually enjoy shooting it at the range).

Just my .02 cents.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Simpler is better for a true survival refile. In that regard, the 10/22 Takedown and most any semi-atuo comes up short.

In my opinion, if you can find a good used one, a perfect survival rifle is the something like a Taurus Model 62 22LR (takedown), http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=421&category=Rifle. But that is only IF you use a small scope and/or protect the rear sight from being moved when packed.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Why not an AR? Take down length is less than 10 inches off the 10/22 takedown and you know ammo will be not be scarce.

Good up close and at distance. Also has widely available interchangable parts.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I have a AR7 and Love it.. I have a older one Charter Arms. had to work out some bugs ( mostly feeding issues ) but HEY IT FLOATS:D

Have you actually tested it? I threw one in a pool and it floated for about a minute then started sinking. If you dropped oneobey accident you would have a little time to try and grab it vs. a normal rifle that sinks like a stone but I was a little let down.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    Marlin-70PSS.jpg

Marlin Papoose, very accurate compact rifle.

32162d1314066198-marlin-papoose-henry-survival-rifle-one-dsc_0369.jpg

Mine is wooden like this one, but with a more compact scope.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    How about a pellet rifle? Quiet, won't alert "scavengers", will put protein on the table.
    Maybe a Crosman backpacker with a 14-24 inch barrel? Breaks down into 2 easy parts. And you can carry a $hitload of ammo in your pocket. Not too great for self defense though.

watts

Jun 17, 2013
    moco
    I have a takedown and if you like 10/22's, you'll love the takedown. It shoots no different than my 10/22's and it assembles/disassembles really easy. I usually carry it in my pack, adds a good bit of weight but not unmanageable. I have not done any extended camping with it, usually 3 day trips.

realjoecool

MDS Supporter
    Aug 6, 2012
    I've thought about this some weighing several factors like ammo acquistion, price, and intended use...
    a pistol caliber carbine may be a good complement to your handgun, but range is a limitation,
    the 10/22 takedown may be better suited for range, but stopping power is a limitation aswell,
    So I bought both only to settle with the keltec su-16b which uses 223,folds in half, takes AR mags and is less than 600 total, got mine for 525 shipped and transfered from gunbroker. it weighs about 4 lbs

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom