• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    I have read quite a few others on here, and I narrowed down my selection to the following (no particular order):

R1 - blued finish

RIA GI model - fixed sights

Ruger SR1911 - top of price range

First off, I'm pretty much a noob (less than a year as gun owner). I have been shooting a 1911-22 for about 4 months now. I bought it as a trainer to get used to the size and feel of the 1911 platform. Although, I am sure the recoil of the .45 will take some getting used to. This would primarily be a range gun, so carry/HD are not really issues that I am considering.

I like the feel of the RIA, and I like the primitive nature of the GI model (the smooth grips actually appeal to me). It was honestly the best feeling of the three in my hand. The two things that concern me about the GI model: Cost of an eventual sight upgrade (GI's are fixed and tiny) and the logo on the slide (cosmetic, and I'll likely get over it). Price is the obvious advantage.

The R1 felt good, and had dovetailed sights that seem they would require less work/cost to upgrade if needed. About $200 more than the RIA.

I only saw the SR1911 Commander model where I was browsing, but I would say I'm in the market for the 5" model. A little more modern feel than the other two, sights are already adjustable style. So maybe less upgrade down the road.

Is there anything else I am missing between the three models? Anything I should watch out for when inspecting the gun I eventually purchase? This will be my "last" purchase, as the 1911 is really the only other gun that I have "wanted" to get. I have an M9 and a Ruger SR9c as well.

Thanks... and this is my 100th post!

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I have been looking hard at 1911's myself. I was first leaning toward the Springfield Range Officer and for a range only gun you can't go wrong with it but its not cheap. The RIA's are good for their price range but Lou has, or had, a few SAM Military's, SAM = Shooters Arms Manufacturing, that also looked good and at a very nice price, 450 - 475 if I remember correctly. But having said all that I kept going back to the SR1911, I am/was not a fan of stainless 1911's, its just not the way the gun should be but the Ruger is a thing of beauty and the 2 I have held in my hand just felt like they belonged there. So I plan on picking up a SR1911 before October.

The Ruger SR1911 CMD has been or was very hard to find in the past due to it's popularity, I had to search for a bit to find mine. I've always liked the commander size but that's just me as I do plan to carry it once I'm outside the state lines of this Godforsaken state. I also own a RIA 1911 10mm, I know some people love to kick dirt on RIA but I'm happy with mine. 1911s to the handgun world are like what the ARs are to the rifle world, so many great parts out there to convert yours into something special if you aren't happy with what you purchased.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Good suggestions made. Since you said it would be a range gun I woild hold out for adjustable sights. I personally think the Range Officer is a huge value with match level fit for the money. The STI Spartan comes in under the Range Officer price wise and is a good gun. If your budget dictates a fixed sight gun you may consider a pistol which has Novak cuts in the slide. Novak and Champion make adjustable replacement sights you can fit with handtools to the pistol at a later date.

Of the three you listed, OP, I would get the Ruger first, the R1 second. Both have good sights and are sound guns. I would pass on the RIA, sights are very small and its not what you are aspiring toward in what you want the gun to be.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    Of the three you listed, OP, I would get the Ruger first, the R1 second. Both have good sights and are sound guns. I would pass on the RIA, sights are very small and its not what you are aspiring toward in what you want the gun to be.

This - I have no experience with the RIA even though for the price point i have heard they are not bad pistols. I was talking with the folks at Thunderstick and they were telling me a local shooting team (maybe one they sponsor) uses RIA's. I am not sure which models and mods, but that seems like a positive for them as a manufacturer.

The SR1911 at least the full size is pretty accurate out of the box, has a good weight and balance to it and is a nice looking gun. 200+ rounds so far with no issues. The R1 probably has more upgradeability.

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    Thanks for the information so far.

The STI Spartan comes in under the Range Officer price wise and is a good gun.

I haven't been able to hold an STI yet, that's about the only thing that has kept it off my list. Just haven't seen one locally. The Spartan was on my original six to try and find. If anyone has a line on one in the near vicinity of Baltimore, please let me know.

drthv8r said:
    1911s to the handgun world are like what the ARs are to the rifle world, so many great parts out there to convert yours into something special if you aren't happy with what you purchased.

This is one of the things that appeals to me about the platform. I also know it is possible to spend $$$$ on upgrades, so with the RIA, it is less money now, but more down the road. That's something I am weighing as well.

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    but the Ruger is a thing of beauty and the 2 I have held in my hand just felt like they belonged there.

Sundancer said:
    has a good weight and balance to it and is a nice looking gun.

It is a beaut and I do like Ruger as a company. I have no complaints about my SR9c. Never a failure, and it just seems really well built and engineered.

clarkcondor

Mar 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    Since it will possibly be one's last purchase, get a Colt - suggest the first Series 70 Gold Cup model. Have seen a couple at on time release IPs/FFLs. Will be a bit more but one will recover that over time since the earlier Colts seem to hold value better than any other brand 1911.

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    Since it will possibly be one's last purchase, get a Colt - suggest the first Series 70 Gold Cup model. Have seen a couple at on time release IPs/FFLs. Will be a bit more but one will recover that over time since the earlier Colts seem to hold value better than any other brand 1911.
    Unfortunately for me, I have to draw the line somewhere, and the Colt is well above that line. The whole resale value thing doesn't bother me too much. I have the same putter I used when I was 13 and the same sand wedge since I was 16. That putter is about 25 years old now. Once I find something I like I stick with it. I appreciate the input, though.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If its your forst 1911 DONT get anything but a 5" or larger Variant. Smaller 1911's can have headaches.

Don't get a G.I. if you plan on upgrading it, it will cost you more to upgrade than just forking over the money now to get a Factory Upgraded 1911 from the box.

In order as far as manufacturers and quality at the moment, I prefer:

#1 Remington

#2 Ruger

#3 RIA

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    If its your forst 1911 DONT get anything but a 5" or larger Variant....
    In order as far as manufacturers and quality at the moment, I prefer:
    #1 Remington
    #2 Ruger
    #3 RIA

Thanks. I definitely want the 5". I noticed that in your last ranking post you hadn't had enough experience with the Remington to rate it. So, it looks like it is as good as the press has been on it. Those two are neck and neck for me. I'll probably cradle them one more time and really pay attention to the fit/feel nuances in my hand.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sights and Grip Safeties are expensive to change if they require gunsmithing.

Make sure if you need a Beavertail Grip Safety that it COMES with one and make sure if you want to put aftermarket sights on that it has the sight cuts you need.

A beavertail Install, frame Refinish and Sight Dovetail Job can vary from $300-$500 depending on what sight cut, the refinish method used.

Get some Tripp Mags (Avoid Wilson and CMC), some Ammo and have fun.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Get some Tripp Mags (Avoid Wilson and CMC), some Ammo and have fun.

Can you elaborate?

I thought Wilson Combat and CMC were top of the line 1911 magazines.

I've never had a problem with WC 47d's, only with a Promag, which was garbage (poor feeding and failure to drop free when fully loaded, which I believe indicates flimsy magazine walls...).

phil

Oct 25, 2008
    Edgewood, MD
    I got in on the group buy a year or so back for the RIA 1911 Tactical. Comes with better / more pronounced sights than the GI and an extended Ambi-thumb safety. It's also an 8 round mag. Not much more than the GI model. Runs perfectly with decent mags in it. Wilson 47D or Mec-gar is what I use.
    The mags supplied by RIA were garbage; fail to feed constantly.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Can you elaborate?

I thought Wilson Combat and CMC were top of the line 1911 magazines.

I've never had a problem with WC 47d's, only with a Promag, which was garbage (poor feeding and failure to drop free when fully loaded, which I believe indicates flimsy magazine walls...).

I have seen issues with Wilson mags made in the past year or so. The followers bind in the Magazine.

The CMC Mags depending on the follower chew up the lowest portion of the ffeed ramp on some 1911's

Tripp Maga and Mec-Gar don't bind or hit the frame.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have seen issues with Wilson mags made in the past year or so. The followers bind in the Magazine.

The CMC Mags depending on the follower chew up the lowest portion of the ffeed ramp on some 1911's

I was always told CMC were the best, but I will back up your statement, I've seen marks on my guns (not gouges just yet) from the followers. I haven't tossed them yet, as they still work fine.

I have picked up a few Mec-Gars for T&E, but I confess that I don't shoot my 1911s very often anymore. Been shooting my G21 most of all lately. So far the Mec-Gars have run well in my Colt Commander and custom Caspian frame guns.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Ok, thanks for the info.

My experiences aren't very statistically significant anyway (2 guns, 8 mags), but they were bought 3 years ago.... I wonder if they've changed materials or dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom