• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    Hi All,

I just recently returned from Mid County Gun Shop in the Preston area with a brand new second generation SIG 556R. First things first, I have to say that I had a great experience at Mid County Gun Shop. Top notch! It is a bit of a drive from Salisbury but the transfer went seamlessly and there is certainly plenty to look at! The MG-42 there had me drooling :D

Now onto the rifle:

I spent some time looking through reviews of these things and I must admit I was put off at first. I read some real horror stories about quality control and saw some videos that made me cringe. Fortunately it seems that all of these issues have been taken care of in the new second generation of rifles. I will admit I have not yet had the opportunity to fire this baby but hopefully I'll pick up some ammo and put some rounds through her tomorrow. With that said I have been presently surprised by this rifle so far. Everything just seems to be solid! Contrary to what I've heard some say on numerous internet ramblings, the fit and finish of this rifle is definitely high quality. I really am impressed so far.

I bought some Hungarian 20 round steel AK mags for it and they just lock right into place. No wobble to speak of.

The only thing that I am skeptical about is the sight that it came with. It seems to be fairly nice but I have an aimpoint pro on the way so I'm definitely going to replace it. There's nothing I can really point out about the sight that I don't like, it's just the fact that I can't imagine it's anywhere near top of the line.

So the moment you have been waiting for:

8ups.jpg

Sc0tt556

Freedom...."Earn this"
    May 14, 2013
    MD
    That is nice!! I have the 556/223 ver in SWAT config, but I like the original handguard over the quad rail

Enjoy :)

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    Shot mine for the first time two weeks ago and was fine. One piece of advice, flip the sling eyelet to the right side if you're a righty. If you check weld too close to the receiver it will hit you in the mouth.

from an undisclosed location

Last edited:

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Congrats. The first generation really crapped the bed in the QC department. Yours should be good to go, I haven't seen anyone complain about the second generation models. My circle 10 mags had to be modified slightly to fit the magwell, but I have had no issues with the rifle after about 500rds. Sight sucks, toss it on a .22. I am going to upgrade my red dot to an Aimpoint Pro when I get some cash. I have my PA red dot mounted in a American Defense AD-68L, gives the perfect low mount for Aimpoints and their clones.

Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    I can't seem to put this thing down, I'll be sure to let you kind folks now how it runs tomorrow. I think it's gonna be fun :drool:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Nice! I picked one up on GB but not going to be able to make it out to my FFL for a week:( Maybe can get me/it to the range next weekend.

Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    So I finally made it out to the range and got to shoot the SIG. I picked up the only ammo I could find at Gander Mountain (I hate that place but it is 10 min from Salisbury Gun Club). They had a box of "Red Army Standard" non corrosive steal cased ammo so I figured I'd try it out.

4rsl.jpg

abv2.jpg

jc6q.jpg

It comes in nine smaller boxes with 20 rounds per box. Perfect for my 20 round mags.

The rifle performed flawlessly and it operates very smoothly. I was really surprised at just how pleasant it was to shoot! I didn't have a whole lot of time to spend at the range but I put two boxes of ammo through her, 20 rounds each (40 total) to test it. I did not have a single issue with the rifle. Honestly, this SIG556R is probably the most fun I have ever had firing a rifle! (except maybe my '44 SA M1 of course ;) )

9fn0.jpg

I almost forgot to mention the sight! I was impressed by it to be honest. It seemed to hold zero just fine. It certainly isn't top of the line by any means. It is a pain to make adjustments on it and I had to use the 5th setting just to see the dot. With that said, it performed better than what I was expecting and did not let me down..... but it's definitely getting replaced when I get my Aimpoint Pro.

q4dq.jpg

It was on paper at 50 yards. I had to mess with it a bit to get it closer to zero. This rifle certainly seems to be more accurate than I am though, we'll see what she can do when I swap out the sight for something better!

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    That red army ammo is being reported to be corrosive. I don't know if its just 7.62x54r or all the calibers, but I wouldn't trust it. Clean your gun immediately, and Google around for info on it. Aim sirplus just sent out an email about it.

Windsors

Apr 20, 2012
    Kingsville, MD
    Nice rifle.

I am picking one up from High Rock Outfitters in PA (an IP) next week. Love the cash and carry part of it too.

Now to wait on ammo to come down to the $200 per 1000 range. $250 now isn't too bad.

CZ Fanboy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 19, 2013
    SIG 551A1 is the best of bothworlds of the AK and the AR rifle. Only problem is the proprietary magazines!

Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    That red army ammo is being reported to be corrosive. I don't know if its just 7.62x54r or all the calibers, but I wouldn't trust it. Clean your gun immediately, and Google around for info on it. Aim sirplus just sent out an email about it.

I did a check on this and it appears that only some of the 7.62x54r is corrosive. I don't think the 7.62x39 caliber is corrosive. If it was my rifle should be rusted to hell by now seeing as I did not perform a corrosive cleaning method on it when I last shot it, just a standard cleaning. Everything appears to be fine but I appreciate the warning!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sweet in a perfect no ban world I always wanted one of those. In the current impending hell I have prioritized more top notch AK's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom