• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psubowhunter

Sep 18, 2012
    Hi all,
    I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread on this. Maybe there is one and I missed it, sorry for doing a duplicate if this is the case.

I currently have Springfield Armory and Kimber 7 rounders and have had no problems.

I also have a generic stainless 8 round mag that I got from a gunshow and have had no problems with that either.

I've read that some 8 rounder mags have inferior springs, and I've also read some manufacturers have made ones with no problems.

So what are your opinions/experiences with 1911 8 round mags and 7 round mags? And what manufacturers do you recommend?

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Chip McCormick Power Mag + magazines have always worked great for me, whether the 8 round or 10 round versions.

The Wilson 47D is also a good quality 8 round magazine. Keep in mind though, if doing a hot reload, the Wilson when loaded to capacity can be a little hard to get to seat with the slide closed.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Hi all,
    I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread on this. Maybe there is one and I missed it, sorry for doing a duplicate if this is the case.

I currently have Springfield Armory and Kimber 7 rounders and have had no problems.

I also have a generic stainless 8 round mag that I got from a gunshow and have had no problems with that either.

I've read that some 8 rounder mags have inferior springs, and I've also read some manufacturers have made ones with no problems.

So what are your opinions/experiences with 1911 8 round mags and 7 round mags? And what manufacturers do you recommend?

I have at least 7000 rounds through my 8 rounder (Kimber Tac Pro) without a issue. But the factory 7 round has always worked for me too.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I haven't had any issues with 8 round mags for the 1911's, not that I've loaded and fired a great amount times with 8 rounds loaded in a mag. I still prefer to keep my mags (whether 7 or 8 rd) loaded at 7 rounds; guess I'm a purest.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I think the manufacturer is more important than 7 round vs 8 round... unless you're concerned with flush-fit with the grip vs a slightly extended pad.

I have several Wilson Combat 47d 8-round mags... never had a problem yet.

I've heard that Tripp and McCormick are great, but I've also heard that the steel McCormick followers can make slight impact points on the feed ramp (when the last round is fired, mag being empty they can slip forward and ping the ramp under recoil). This may only apply to alloy frame guns.

Do not buy Pro-mag. Tried them once when I first bought my 1911, they went right back to the store after my first range trip. Metal sides were not sufficiently rigid.. meaning pressure against feed lips when fully loaded caused distortion leading to misfeeds and difficulty inserting or removing the mag (would not drop free until empty).

I picked up four .45 ACP 8 round Wilson 1911 Elite Tactical Magazines during Wilson's Labor Day Sale a few days ago, Wilson needs to have these sales more often. This is my 1st purchase of their Elite Tactical mags. I also have five Tripp Research mags on order too, I've read a lot of good things about Tripp Research. I'm sure their 10 round mags are going to stick out like a sore thumb though lol

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    The Kimber I had came with a std. 7rd SS mag, but I purchased a Kimber 8rd SS mag and never had a problem with it - it was still a flush fit.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I'm a 1911 noob. I will be picking up my first, a S.A.M. 1911, in a few days.

Thanks Lou!

I bought a couple of inexpensive 8 rnd mags from Keep Shooting (ip) to try out in the gun.

From what I have read, it sounds like the biggest problem with 1911 mags are feed lips deforming under pressure from the rounds. It will be interesting to see how these hold up.

Rob.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    I have metalform 7 rounders for my RIA. Never a problem. Never used or bought any 8 rounders cuz I like the flush fit on the bottom... I'm OCD like that. Hehe

phil

Oct 25, 2008
    Edgewood, MD
    2 A.C.T. 8 round mags came with my 1911 and are worthless. the follower does not maintain the proper upward angle allowing the round to nose dive perpendicular to the feed ramp. Guaranteed jam every time.
    Wilson 47D and Mec Gar have never jammed once. [Mec Gar is a few $$ cheaper]

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I'm a 1911 noob. I will be picking up my first, a S.A.M. 1911, in a few days.

Thanks Lou!

I bought a couple of inexpensive 8 rnd mags from Keep Shooting (ip) to try out in the gun.

From what I have read, it sounds like the biggest problem with 1911 mags are feed lips deforming under pressure from the rounds. It will be interesting to see how these hold up.

Rob.

I took my new 1911 to the range this weekend to begin breaking it in. I also tried out my various mags.

Wilson combat ETM: Awesome/perfect.

Stock Mag, ACT: FTF on last round/crap

Keep shooting mag: Worked fine, but I had to whack them a few times with a rubber mallet first to get them to drop free./ Okay for range mags, not willing to bet my life on them.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I have a few Chip McCormick 8 and 10 rounders. I've read and heard good things about them; mine load really easily (both ammo into the mag and mag into the magwell), but I haven't shot with them yet. I like the 8-round mags because they fit flush in a full-sized 1911 just like typical 7-round mags. The 10-round mags obviously hang down a good bit, but will probably make good range mags.

Quality > quantity. Bad mags will ruin any guns performance, and I think this is particularity true of 1911s.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For years and years I stuck strictly w/ 7rd . The issue is that with truely flush fitting 8rd has to have a shortened follower to fit the last round. They were then inconsistant in their angle wether loaded with all 8 or not.
    The new and improved 8rd that look like they have about .25 basepads , that actually have the magtube the whole length are a different story . They can run a 7rd style follower , and also fit 8th rd.

Several mfgs make quality mag bodies. I feel the Virgil Tripp followers are the * Most better'er *. I retrofit Tripp followers into my P90 mags ( different body , same followers as 1911) .

FWIW , I had always been reasonably content w/ 7rd anyway , valueing 100% reliability over an 8th rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom