• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chromedragon70

Dec 29, 2012
    Eldersburg/Sykesville
    I always get confused about this part of Maryland law. Would it be legal for me to order 30 round magazines online, have them shipped to my father in law who is out of state, and then bring them back in from that location by driving?

the last thing I would want to do is break Maryland law in find myself in the pokey.

Thanks

Yes

"You may not sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive or transfer any detachable firearm magazine with a capacity of more than 20 rounds in Maryland. As possession is not specifically outlawed, you may take possession of higher capacity magazines outside of the state and then legally bring them back for use within Maryland."

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'd send a money order...they could turn down a CC...due to the billing address being in MD...I thought I saw this happen to someone on a different thread in MDS...

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Heard today - and have NO idea how accurate this is that after 1 Oct, that despite previous ownership on 30 Sep, that taking magazines over 10 rounds out of the house will be committing a crime.

Heard this third hand from someone who attended a Utah permit concealed carry class last week.

Does anyone have any idea if this has any basis in truth?

Last edited:
    Heard today - and have NO idea how accurate this is that after 1 Oct, that despite previous ownership on 30 Sep, that taking magazines over 10 rounds out of the house will be committing a crime.

Heard this third hand from someone who attended a Utah permit concealed carry law last week.

Nothing in SB281 relating to that.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I always get confused about this part of Maryland law. Would it be legal for me to order 30 round magazines online, have them shipped to my father in law who is out of state, and then bring them back in from that location by driving?

the last thing I would want to do is break Maryland law in find myself in the pokey.

Thanks

Why limit yourself to the standard 30 round magazine? The same law applies to the 40 rounders sold by JoeBob's Outfitters.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/MAGPUL_40rd_M3_PMAG_Black_MAG_233_BLK_p/mag-233-blk.htm

I am not Joe Bob. But I play him on TV.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN

Heard this third hand from someone who attended a Utah permit concealed carry law last week.

Heard if from the instructor? Or some doofus that isn't a member of MDS?

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    No. There is something about stiffer sentences for committing a crime with a high capacity magazine gun. It is not something I paid much attention to because my list of hobbies doesn't include sticking up liquor stores. But as long as you do not buy it inside MD there is no restriction on possession.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    It is technically illegal to order them from within the state. Best to just have your father-in-law order them for you. He would have to transfer them to you out of state, as well.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE

Dave T

Yes

"You may not sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive or transfer any detachable firearm magazine with a capacity of more than 20 rounds in Maryland. As possession is not specifically outlawed, you may take possession of higher capacity magazines outside of the state and then legally bring them back for use within Maryland."

Can us Marylanders still purchase high capacity magazines out of state and bring them back in Maryland after Oct 1?

verizonguy

Sep 30, 2010
    Bel Air, MD
    or there are some places, example joeboboutfitters.com, that will disassemble a high cap mag for you and ship it you as a rebuild kit.

Legal purchase.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    It is technically illegal to order them from within the state. Best to just have your father-in-law order them for you. He would have to transfer them to you out of state, as well.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE

This is sound advice. The argument could be made you ordered them IN MD and hence broke the law. Just find the closest state with a McDonalds and order them.

cyclelabs

Dec 18, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    I'd send a money order...they could turn down a CC...due to the billing address being in MD...I thought I saw this happen to someone on a different thread in MDS...
    Agree w wilcam47. Best is to let your father in law pay for it and pay him back. I tried to buy some Ruger mags and have them shipped to my son in law in FL. Ruger cancelled my order bc the billing address on my cc was in MD.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    or there are some places, example joeboboutfitters.com, that will disassemble a high cap mag for you and ship it you as a rebuild kit.

Legal purchase.

Incorrect! You can not purchase or manufacture mags over said limit in MD!

Completely ILLEGAL!!!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Have your dad order them with his card, go to his house give him the money and bring them back:thumbsup:

This is what I am going with.

Where does the purchase take place if you place the order from your computer in Maryland? Much easier to call somebody out of state, tell them what you want, visit and pay them for it, and then bring the items back to Maryland. The stuff never hits your credit card and there is no issue with shipping/billing addresses not matching up.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Incorrect! You can not purchase or manufacture mags over said limit in MD!

Completely ILLEGAL!!!

Except that you are not purchasing mags-you are purchasing parts.
    In this case you would be assembling them, NOT manufacturing them.
    Not too sure I would want to be the test case however.
    IANAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom