• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    So I pulled in to the Lowes on Quarterfield Road in Severn yesterday and see a woman chasing two men across the parking lot. The men are pushing a shopping cart overflowing with Dewalt tool sets. They take off on a flat run with the cart while the woman is yelling at them, and the one guy is yelling "Where are they, they are supposed to be here?"

So I get out of my truck and start following the woman, and then more guys join me. One guy kicks the cart away from the thief and it topples on to the parking lot. The other thief starts yelling let's go.

At that point the woman is still yelling at them and holding on to the cart, both thieves come back, one pulls "pepper spray" out of his coat, while the other grabs as many tool sets as he can carry. The thief sprays at the man who kicked the cart, while another man tries to attack him with an umbrella. The spray had no effect on the man, so it was either bad, or not pepper spray, it didn't smell like it to me.

I had no idea what to do, when the guy reached in his sweatshirt, I was thinking, great, I'm going to get shot over some power tools. I stood there with the woman while the thieves ran away and made sure the guy who got sprayed was okay and got some good pictures, I couldn't think of what else to do, they outnumbered me, and outweighed me by 50lbs. and it didn't look like anyone would assist me if I tried anything. Still feel like a failure though that I didn't stop them.

I waited for the police to see if they would want the pictures, but they never showed up. I happened across one in the parking lot looking at sheds as I was heading out, and stopped to ask him if he was here for the shoplifting incident, he had no idea what I was talking about...but he took a statement and got a description off my pictures.

Attachments

• 20131029_152630.jpg
      20131029_152630.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 1,297

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    There are only 55 shopping days left until Christmas.

The LEO got a description off of your picture instead of the picture itself?

#1 male with a gray hoodie. OK got it.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I would have followed them in your truck. And if they were reaching in their jacket, well you need to protect yourself right?

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    There are only 55 shopping days left until Christmas.

The LEO got a description off of your picture instead of the picture itself?

#1 male with a gray hoodie. OK got it.

I found that strange as well, I kept asking him if he wanted the picture, he said he didn't need it.

I also found it strange that I waited almost 20 minutes and no police had responded, and the one I came across didn't have a clue what I was talking about...

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    I told my wife I need to start keeping my baseball bats in the truck again, but she told me I probably would have been charged with assault and arrested.

I had my knives on me as always, but I had that whole knife/gun fight feeling, and again, can't really do much without getting myself in trouble.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I found that strange as well, I kept asking him if he wanted the picture, he said he didn't need it.

I also found it strange that I waited almost 20 minutes and no police had responded, and the one I came across didn't have a clue what I was talking about...

Which makes it worse to think about if you did have a carry permit and pulled out a gun when he reached in his pocket. You'd be the profiling racist waiting for the police to arrive...if they arrive.

DEX

scruffy-lookin nerfherder
    Aug 16, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD
    What I find strange is the woman chasing after them. That would be a big no-no at my place of business. If our LP doesn't get them in store, we call the cops right away and start pulling security footage and taking statements. Cops are generally there within five minutes or less. It's a lot better for everyone involved to let the store file the claim and no one get injured.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    Kind of hard to believe they wouldn't pull tapes and call the cops, crazy!

Good on ya though! I wonder what the spray actually was...

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Most big chain stores aren't going to call if they recover all the property and do not detain the suspects.

Corporate doesn't want to waste their employee's time in court which will likely be drawn out over several days when they did not suffer a monetary lost.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I had no idea what to do, when the guy reached in his sweatshirt, I was thinking, great, I'm going to get shot over some power tools.

So you put yourself at risk of being killed over someone else's power tools??? Those tools belonged to a Fortune 500 corporation that was going to write it off as a loss anyway. It's not like they belonged to some little old lady who had just purchased them. Playing hero can get you killed. You are damn lucky you weren't injured or killed.

Intervening in a physical assault is one thing but for God's sake.....

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    Before the Lowes in North East was open some guys pulled into the fence area in the rear and loaded up a riding mower into a pick up truck. When they tried to leave the truck hit the gate and cut the brake line. As the truck exited the shopping center it ran the stop sign due to no brakes. The truck then collided with a car and the idiot in the bed of the truck was ejected and died from the sudden stop on the asphalt. Self correcting error - death penalty for theft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom