• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madcap

Everybody Loves Mad!
    Nov 5, 2013
    Good Morning Everyone!

Short time reader and first time poster here. I created this account specifically to address some of the issues and inconsistencies with users' explanation of the HQL process.

My hope is that other individuals would link this post to users confused or misunderstanding the process. For this explanation, I am going under the assumption that the user would required the Training component of the HQL.

The first step is to go to the Maryland State Police Website (www.mdsp.org). On the left hand tab, click Licensing Division - > Firearms -> Handgun Qualification License.This will bring you to a broad explanation of the HQL. Under the How To Apply section located at the bottom of your screen, is a link to MyLicense. It should say, " For access please click HERE".

After clicking you will be taken to a secure portion of the website in order to create an account. Please, remember to use Internet Explorer, as much to my dismay, other browsers are not supported.

You should be able to fill in the Questions tab and a large portion of the demographics tab; however, your fingerprint portion on the demographics tab will remain blank for the moment. ( I will explain why shortly).

Next, you should fulfill your training requirement, which generally costs anywhere from $20 to $120. The class is not worth more than $50. Many establishments offer it for less and advertise it on this site. I would encourage you to look into it. You must select a class and sign up for it. The class will run four hours and will include a live-fire portion. After fulfilling the requirements for your class, your instructor will provide you with a certificate and a License number. Go back into MyLicense, after you have taken your class and received your certificate, and fill in this number into the correct box in the training tab. Remember to Validate the code and save. I would strongly recommend scanning in your Certificate and uploading it under the Attachments tab.

Please complete the training portion before you start the next process. Next is the most often confused part of the HQL Process: Fingerprinting. You must go and have your fingerprints taken on a LIVE-SCAN machine; in other words, there should never be ink touching your fingers. Maryland State Police only accept live-scan prints. They have a list of accepted fingerprint providers on their website; I personally went to a police station to have mine done. The lowest cost I have seen was $54.50; however, people being charged around $70 is not uncommon. Please make sure to call ahead and check prices/schedule your live-scan appointment. Some establishments do take walk-ins. After your prints are taken you will have 72 hours to put the prints in the MyLicense system and submit the application.

After your prints are taken, you will be given a piece of paper with a tracking number and a PCN. The difference between these two is imperative. When you go back into MyLicense (Demographics Tab), make sure to put the PCN into the box labelled PCN. I've talked to a multitude of individuals at the Maryland State Police, they inform me that this is the most often confused item. I've also seen many posters here and even my own live-scan technician incorrectly tell users to put the Tracking Number in the box. It is labelled PCN for a reason.

After completing all of these steps your boxes on the left hand side of the MyLicense page should be checked. At times, the attachments box is not check; this box being unchecked is not a problem.

Next, scroll to the bottom and select "Pay Fees" after the fees have been payed your application will be complete (There might be one other screen I forgot about, but I am sure it is relatively straightforward). The cost for the application is $50.

When you return to your MyLicense homepage you should be able to view the status of your application within one of the links on the page. If i left anything out please feel free to correct me add it in.

My application was submitted on 10/23 and approved 10/24.

I hope this helps everyone.
    - Mad
    [/COLOR]

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    This will be helpful to many. But, it should be mentioned that there are many people who are exempt from the training requirement:

-- Any person who already "lawfully owns a regulated firearm" at the time of the application. In order to claim this exemption, it is necessary to enter a serial number and other data for one (1) handgun or other regulated firearm on the application. It does not have to be a handgun that is already "registered" in the Maryland State Police database.

-- Any person who "is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard."

-- Any person who is "a qualified handgun instructor."

-- Any person who has completed a Department of Natural Resources course prescribed by Section 10-301.1 of the Natural Resources Article (i.e., the "hunter safety" course).

-- Any person who has completed any other "certified firearms training course approved by the Secretary" of the Maryland State Police.

-- Any employee of an armored car company with a Maryland carry permit.

Those are the exemptions from the training requirement. There are other categories of people who don't need a Handgun Qualification License at all: licensed firearms manufacturers and dealers, and active-duty or career-retired members of the armed forces or National Guard.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    At some MVA offices, there is a MSP fingerprint facility. I know the one in Harford County has one. You have to call and make an appointment.

$20. And they can also print your fingerprints on cards for things like VA and FL carry permits. No extra charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom