• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcm

Oct 19, 2013
    so did anyone win any of the auctions ?

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Remember that the ammo cans and pallettes they are sitting on is included in the weight...so it was more like 400 pounds of brass....

Was gonna bid on several of them but I am not gonna pay almost retail after paying a 10% buyers premium on top of my winning bid...

I will just keep an eye out and hope for a reasonable price someday...

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    Remember that the ammo cans and pallettes they are sitting on is included in the weight...so it was more like 400 pounds of brass....

Was gonna bid on several of them but I am not gonna pay almost retail after paying a 10% buyers premium on top of my winning bid...

I will just keep an eye out and hope for a reasonable price someday...

I had checked these out also. I figured everything you just said wouldn't make it worth the effort...

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Yeah, I will keep an eye on these in the future....still worth a shot if it ends up worth it in the end...just gotta make sure to stick to a reasonable limit for the type of brass it is...

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    yeah, but I am in no hurry to throw money away either.... patience pays off for this stuff... eventually these guys paying high prices are going to price themselves out of it if they continue to have such thin margins buying at that price...

dcm

Oct 19, 2013
    it sound like everyone needs to get on the same page and elect someone to make the purchase we might have a better chance since it sound like multiply people may have been placing bids from just here. i would be looking to buy 40-50lbs ill pay up to $3.5 lbs

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Tell you what....I have a few 30 cal and 556 cal metal ammo cans lying around, I will get an empty weight on each type, plus we have wood pallets at works and I will get a weight on that so we can get an idea of how much the actual brass weight is...then we will have a better idea of exactly what we are getting.

if someone has a 50 cal ammo can, weigh that we can be prepared based on what cans they use.

next time there is an auction here in MD...we can group together and do a group buy if everyone wants...just decide on which caliber we want to bid on and we can focus on that...

anyone willing to get together on this?

dcm

Oct 19, 2013
    only thing with pallet is they can very alot . the ones painted blue are typical alot more weight ( i would guess 60-70 a piece) but average i would think around 20-30lbs .

the 50cal ammo can is 5lbs . which looks like what the auction include

i mainly just want the 556 to make 300blk brass

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Ok....well we should have enough info to make a pretty good estimate of non brass weight next time....I will keep an eye on the site to see when some pop up again and we can go from there.....

sound good?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also realize, that you will lose some to rocks and dirt. And also blanks that failed to fire (although you might still be able to make .300 BO from blanks).

It is worth pursuing, but in the past year, this has been proposed several times and the price always went too high.

It was much easier when the auctions were in person, and the only ones you had to worry about out bidding were local scrap dealers. :)

Just for reference, here is one place buying scrap brass cases for $1.35 a pound - http://rockawayrecycling.com/metal/brass-shells/

Here is another reference at $2.31 a pound.

http://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-prices/north-american-BrassBronze/7030-Brass-Scrap-scraps/303/1/1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom