What's your favorite/recommended .22 handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Taking a bag o' gun to the smith for reassembly is a common right of passage for everyone who shoots. I've been shooting since 1980 and I did this recently with a Ruger Mk II. You don't really break these down to clean that often, and there are kits out there to make it easier. I do love my Mk II, especially with the red dot on it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Smith & Wesson Mdl 41 w/ 5-1/2" bull barrel.

Buy once. Cry once.

Get the mdl 41 and you'll throw rocks at just about every other .22lr handgun made.

(Not mine! My mdl 41 has Goncalo Alves stocks on it, and is much older than the pic from S&W.)

drkeg

Jan 14, 2011
    Catonsville
    I've really loved my MkII bull barrels. One thing I discovered that I never thought of before, when I was teaching my children to shoot the bull barrel got heavy for them very fast. I'm in the market for something different now, maybe a S&W 617.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    One thing I discovered that I never thought of before, when I was teaching my children to shoot the bull barrel got heavy for them very fast. I'm in the market for something different now, maybe a S&W 617.

The old Colt Police Positive 22LR Target revolver is good for small hands. It's lightweight and has a nice trigger that's easy to pull. Your kids would probably love it. If you go new, the stainless Ruger Single Six convertible is ideal for teaching kids because they are forced to go through all the motions.

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    I have a Ruger Mark I and love it. Mrs. Rocky BearDog shoots a Browning Buckmark, another great choice. Don't be afraid of the Ruger re-assembly. A pain at first but after a few tries, good to go.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Smith & Wesson Mdl 41 w/ 5-1/2" bull barrel.

Buy once. Cry once.

Get the mdl 41 and you'll throw rocks at just about every other .22lr handgun made.

(Not mine! My mdl 41 has Goncalo Alves stocks on it, and is much older than the pic from S&W.)

Even against the world renowned Jennings J-22? Now, I can probably get you an even up trade, but only for a limited time! :)

Nah, I'm not jealous!:innocent0

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    nice thing about a revolver is that they are as accurate as the sights on them and your not going to have Feed or ejection failures.
    Between me, my wife and my dad. I"ve shot
    Ruger 22/45 Lite
    Beretta Neos
    Browning Buckmark (Stainless 6.5")
    Ruger SR22

If I had to pick one, it would be Buckmark. Its the most accurate, I like the trigger the best and Its had problems with only 1 brand of ammo I've tried which 2 of the other 3 also had trouble.
    Ruger 22/45 had maybe less ammo issues, but does not shoot as well. Maybe the light frame but it is not as good as the buckmark (for me).
    SR22 my dad has he likes, Its light and it has night sights on his. Decent reliability and I think since he has gotten it, his shooting is much better.
    Beretta Neos is dead last. I thought it looks cool, its super easy to clean but it needs to be cleaned every single time you go out shooting. I've only had to clean the 22/45 once after about 400 rounds and the Buckmark is now at 1500 rounds and not been cleaned. I needed youtube the 2 times I took the 22/45 apart. I also had to do the slide release mod cause holding the slide release down while throwing the bolt was a pain for my wife's little hands.

Good Luck

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Even against the world renowned Jennings J-22? Now, I can probably get you an even up trade, but only for a limited time! :)

Nah, I'm not jealous!:innocent0

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Believe it, or not....... a good friend of mine offered me his Jennings J-22 on a trade, for this Mdl 41!!!!!

Everyone that has seen/shot this magnificent pistol, has wanted/tried to buy it!

"Not for sale!":D

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Been renting .22's lately. Tried the Ruger Mark III and didn't care for it. Next time around got a Beretta Neos and I <3 that gun. It'll be my first handgun purchase, whenever I have spare cash and finish my HQL (I need to get my fingerprints done). I highly recommend trying it.

Jack Burton

Apr 2, 2013
    Edgewater, MD
    Ruger 22/45 Target model is what I use to teach first timers. Inexpensive enough to not break the bank for WHEN you decide to get another, higher caliber gun.

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    I love my Ruger Buckmark. I bought it about 20 years ago. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with it for the price. It's reliable and accurate even with cheap ammo. That being said, my next 22 will be the Ruger 22/45.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I love my Ruger Buckmark. I bought it about 20 years ago. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with it for the price. It's reliable and accurate even with cheap ammo. That being said, my next 22 will be the Ruger 22/45.

Doesn't Browning make the Buckmark?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom